Roster Cuts: The Road to 53

JiffyJag

12 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

is he any better of an option than Luke Farrell? he's been on and off practice squads since 2018 and has 2 career receptions

I know, but I’ve seen some Browns preseason and he’s looked decent. Ultimately the likelihood of finding anything more than a bottom of the depth chart guy off these cuts is unlikely.

I keep thinking 4 TEs is possible. I think Manhertz, JOS, and Farrell are locks, just super unenthused with anyone else based on preseason looks. Ellefson got some buzz early but meh.

On 8/28/2021 at 4:59 PM, pwny said:

I don’t think it’s a black mark on the regime or anything. They did what they could with what they had, given the just absurd number of issues they had to address at once.

And no, you can’t ever fully replace a star guy when he goes down. But once you’ve hit a certain point in roster building (which takes more than one offseason), you have a roster that you can adjust to fill the void. Instead of a late offseason addition like Austin who you bring in as depth, you have a guy you drafted that you see as like a baby version of the player. You have guys at other positions who can maybe not run the same plays, but who you can get the ball to in a similar space.

The Saints with Kamara are a decent example of what I’m talking about with this. They brought in Lat Murray in 2019, and he’s a decent receiver; though he’s clearly much more of a spell type runner. Dwayne Washington is a former WR turned RB they’ve had around for a while. They have all the stuff they do with Taysom Hill. Michael Thomas is really, really good in those intermediate routes where Kamara is typically catching the ball. So when Kamara spent all of 2019 banged up, they didn’t miss a beat because they just funneled those types of plays to those other guys. The star player who can do similar things took over the lion’s share of the plays that would have gone there, and was sitting in similar places for the receptions to happen, and then all the other guys take up little bits of the roles until you can run at 90% of what it would have been with the guy who got hurt.

But it took 2016 to draft Thomas, 2017 to draft Kamara and Hill, 2018 to nab Dwayne Washington, and 2019 to get Murray.

If this injury had happened two years from now, and we had seen more from Shenault and knew he was the type of player who can take on an expanded role in an offense successfully, and the team had a burner in the slot, and we had drafted a guy that’s a baby version of ETN in the 5th round, it’d be much more “this sucks ****, but I think we can adjust and be okay”. But that comes with time, and I can’t imagine @Tugboat thinks it’s a black mark that it happened with the team like this. It’s just crappy and unfortunate that we built up a lot of the roster with “raise the floor/build up the depth” type signings, but addressed RB with a ceiling shattering type talent, and that guy gets hurt before he can take a snap.

It just sucks because it’s probably the one injury, sans [the one], that screws this team over the most. And doubly so because if the regime is a good one and it had happened in a year or two, there’s likely far more mitigation that can be done with the guys they would have continued to bring in to lessen just how much this is going to alter our offense design.

Yeah. This is pretty much it. I’m not treating it like some egregious, unforgivable oversight by this new regime. It’s just a reality of how things go when you’re taking over a nearly winless team that has squandered draft picks for years and mostly flailed around aimlessly without any kind of vision. There really is only so much you can expect them to do in one offseason. 

But what you’re describing here, is what I’m talking about. What good teams have, to where they can shrug off injuries to key players more readily. We’re obviously not nearly at that stage yet. And it sucks. 

11 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah. This is pretty much it. I’m not treating it like some egregious, unforgivable oversight by this new regime. It’s just a reality of how things go when you’re taking over a nearly winless team that has squandered draft picks for years and mostly flailed around aimlessly without any kind of vision. There really is only so much you can expect them to do in one offseason. 

But what you’re describing here, is what I’m talking about. What good teams have, to where they can shrug off injuries to key players more readily. We’re obviously not nearly at that stage yet. And it sucks. 

it’s also the one injury (outside of the one I can’t even type) I think hurts us the most, as well. Given the resources they had, I think they did a good job getting players across the board that fill in as solid backups and spot starters. If anyone else on offense or defense gets hurt there and misses the season, I think we can work around it. James Robinson goes down instead? Yeah, it sucks but they could have split his role between ETN, Hyde, and some gadget snaps to manufacture yards and been okay. A defender went down? There’s a ton of competition across the board that would have filled in.

They did a good job across the roster of bringing in depth. The WR group doesn’t have a superstar yet, but has more depth than I think this team has literally ever had. The secondary has a ton of depth to where Sidney Jones was the 5th or 6th CB on the team. It’s just this role is one they weren’t able to do anything except get the guy who is supposed to be the superstar, because it’s one that has a skill that’s harder to find. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pwny said:

it’s also the one injury (outside of the one I can’t even type) I think hurts us the most, as well. Given the resources they had, I think they did a good job getting players across the board that fill in as solid backups and spot starters. If anyone else on offense or defense gets hurt there and misses the season, I think we can work around it. James Robinson goes down instead? Yeah, it sucks but they could have split his role between ETN, Hyde, and some gadget snaps to manufacture yards and been okay. A defender went down? There’s a ton of competition across the board that would have filled in.

They did a good job across the roster of bringing in depth. The WR group doesn’t have a superstar yet, but has more depth than I think this team has literally ever had. The secondary has a ton of depth to where Sydney Jones was the 5th or 6th CB on the team. It’s just this role is one they weren’t able to do anything except get the guy who is supposed to be the superstar, because it’s one that has a skill that’s harder to find. 

Exactly.  It's just a bad turn of luck...that the injury happened right off the bat, at the spot that they haven't really been able to accommodate for a fallback plan.  That's just the nature of an "aspirational pick" like that, going down immediately.  It was an area where they weren't just trying to bolster "normal depth" and fill things out, improve at conventional spots.  It was the one spot where you could really see them actually taking a big swing on trying to bring in an entirely new dimension to the offense.  Something that could change the game.

That's part of why it sucks so much too.  In that it was one element that i think everyone was really looking forward to seeing.  In how that would look.  Now we've gotta wait, and hope that this isn't a long-term career-impacting thing with Etienne.  Just piling layers of suck on top of suck.