Roster Cuts: The Road to 53

JiffyJag

I'm disappointed about Tim being cut, but I can understand the move.  It is hard to change positions, especially after 7 years away from the game.  As huge of a Tebow fan as I have always been (and will continue to be), a part of me is also kind of relieved that this is now 100% Trevor's team.  That never should have been in question, but Tim is such a big figure in the media that he was bound to take a little of the spotlight.  Now that we are getting closer to the regular season starting, it will be good to concentrate on Urban, Trevor, and all the other players who will be able to make a big impact.

Thanks for the memories, Tim!

• Like 1

Big fan of Imatorbhebhe, glad he's sticking around and will hopefully be in the mix next season.

I'm very surprised Urban signed Tim to compete as a traditional in-line TE; a role his skills do not mesh with. He was destined to fail in that capacity. I thought for sure he was being brought in to play a role like he did his first season at Florida; short yardage/goal line wildcat QB. That is more suited to his skill set and would have given the offense another wrinkle.

I'm not advocating taking snaps away from Trevor at all and wouldn't look forward to wildcat formations personally, I'm just surprised he wasn't given a look there. Was pretty pointless signing him just to play a standard TE position. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jax said:

Big fan of Imatorbhebhe, glad he's sticking around and will hopefully be in the mix next season.

I'm very surprised Urban signed Tim to compete as a traditional in-line TE; a role his skills do not mesh with. He was destined to fail in that capacity. I thought for sure he was being brought in to play a role like he did his first season at Florida; short yardage/goal line wildcat QB. That is more suited to his skill set and would have given the offense another wrinkle.

I'm not advocating taking snaps away from Trevor at all and wouldn't look forward to wildcat formations personally, I'm just surprised he wasn't given a look there. Was pretty pointless signing him just to play a standard TE position. 

I'm glad Imatorbhebhe will be coming back.  It will be nice to see him get another chance, plus, I will have a whole offseason to figure out how to pronounce his name.  :D

Regarding Tebow, I think you hit the nail on the head.  He would have been a good guy to have around in the Taysom Hill role if Gardner Minshew was still our starting QB.  As you alluded to, it just doesn't make much sense for a 34-year-old to be taking snaps away from a guy like Trevor Lawrence.  I was really hoping Tim would make the team, but I understand why they cut him.

5 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

I would think that Etienne being out potentially 6-8 weeks probably frees up a spot for Tavon Austin?

Pretty sure Urban brought him up postgame I heard, so yeah…I’d say so. One of the few players we have that has speed/can get easy separation. Chark is clearly sorely missed too.

On 8/24/2021 at 9:32 AM, JiffyJag said:

I would think that Etienne being out potentially 6-8 weeks probably frees up a spot for Tavon Austin?

I mean...you'd think so?  But if we're relying on Tavon Austin in any way, to play any sort of important role in anything...that's very bad news.  So, can't really win either way here.  But this is why you generally need strong contingencies for your "special role" guys.  Obviously we're not at a place where they've had time to put that kind of depth in place though.  They're still at the, "spending 1st round picks" on the linchpin player stage.

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I mean...you'd think so?  But if we're relying on Tavon Austin in any way, to play any sort of important role in anything...that's very bad news.  So, can't really win either way here.  But this is why you generally need strong contingencies for your "special role" guys.  Obviously we're not at a place where they've had time to put that kind of depth in place though.  They're still at the, "spending 1st round picks" on the linchpin player stage.

Yea I can see Tavon playing an important role being a gadget guy a couple of plays but I would just hope this means Viska gets more work in the backfield too