Preseason Wk2 - Bengals @ Washington

Thaiphoon

14 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Just looking to upgrade I guess. He's young , maybe he's reached his ceiling maybe he hasn't. You can win and win the Super Bowl without the mythical Franchise Q B . He has been done .

I don't disagree. Which is why I don't want Mitch. I know he's not the guy. But if we had signed him, we'd end up marrying him with a multi-year deal because he's "young" and "improving" and "see, based upon these games if we got this type of effort out of him we can win"

It's like the divorcee that can't stay single for any length of time and continuously gets remarried only months after the divorce is final (*)

(*) okay the analogy sucks but you hopefully get what I'm saying.

7 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I don't disagree. Which is why I don't want Mitch. I know he's not the guy. But if we had signed him, we'd end up marrying him with a multi-year deal because he's "young" and "improving" and "see, based upon these games if we got this type of effort out of him we can win"

It's like the divorcee that can't stay single for any length of time and continuously gets remarried only months after the divorce is final (*)

(*) okay the analogy sucks but you hopefully get what I'm saying.

Trubisky signed a 1-year $2.5 million contract with the Bills. I’d take that contract to compete w/ Heinicke to be our starter over a hope and prayer that we can remain just mediocre w/ Fitz as our QB on a 1year $10 million contract and a bridge to nowhere.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Trubisky signed a 1-year $2.5 million contract with the Bills. I’d take that contract to compete w/ Heinicke to be our starter over a hope and prayer that we can remain just mediocre w/ Fitz as our QB on a 1year $10 million contract and a bridge to nowhere.

Nagy ruined him..... 

Completely missed the point Turtle, but I'll help you. You focused on the bolded (this year). The point wasn't about THIS year. It was what happens AFTER this year.

And your comment is exactly what I was talking about. The penchant to keep him around after this one year is already there. All he would need to do is be somewhat serviceable and people would say in 2022 "let's sign him to a long-term deal". And that would keep us kicking the can down the road and not going after our QBOTF in the draft.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Completely missed the point Turtle, but I'll help you. You focused on the bolded (this year). The point wasn't about THIS year. It was what happens AFTER this year.

And your comment is exactly what I was talking about. The penchant to keep him around after this one year is already there. All he would need to do is be somewhat serviceable and people would say in 2022 "let's sign him to a long-term deal". And that would keep us kicking the can down the road and not going after our QBOTF in the draft.

You’re assuming a lot. I for one would not want to re-sign Trubisky on a long term deal to be a starter if he was just serviceable. I’d even have pause signing him long term if we had signed him and he had a good year for us.

I’ve made it pretty well known - as have most fans - that we want a young drafted QB to be developed for our future. Signing Trubisky would not have changed that for me and I don’t think it would for most people unless somehow he went out and was a 4,000 yard, 30 TD passer on top of making his athletic & off schedule plays.

10 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Not evryone is on that track . I think the Buccaneers just won the SuperBowl with some old dude . 🙂

Well yeah, once or twice a decade a deal like that comes available where we could add a franchise QB but, our franchise has never been a free agency destination for the best QBs.

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Well yeah, once or twice a decade a deal like that comes available where we could add a franchise QB but, our franchise has never been a free agency destination for the best QBs.

I was only half serious- I'll take the draft a guy route too- Cheap for 5 years !

8 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I was only half serious- I'll take the draft a guy route too- Cheap for 5 years !

Well I mean if we had gotten stafford I’d be elated & we’d be a Super Bowl contender. Same if we had gotten Manning or Brady when they were FAs. If Rodgers becomes available I’d love it if he came here no doubt.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

You’re assuming a lot. I for one would not want to re-sign Trubisky on a long term deal to be a starter if he was just serviceable. I’d even have pause signing him long term if we had signed him and he had a good year for us.

I’ve made it pretty well known - as have most fans - that we want a young drafted QB to be developed for our future. Signing Trubisky would not have changed that for me and I don’t think it would for most people unless somehow he went out and was a 4,000 yard, 30 TD passer on top of making his athletic & off schedule plays.

And if he did for that one year? Then what do you say? I have a hard time believing you'd want the WFT to let him walk. So then we'd go down from there. What if it's 3400 and 24-26 TDs but he had athletic and off schedule plays? We'd then get excuses about how it's not his fault and if we just got better talent on the offense, etc... 

At least with Fitz, I'm guaranteed he's not on this team 4 years from now.

19 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

And if he did for that one year? Then what do you say? I have a hard time believing you'd want the WFT to let him walk. So then we'd go down from there. What if it's 3400 and 24-26 TDs but he had athletic and off schedule plays? We'd then get excuses about how it's not his fault and if we just got better talent on the offense, etc... 

At least with Fitz, I'm guaranteed he's not on this team 4 years from now.

There’s nothing wrong with extending Trubisky if he came here & played well on a one year deal & then drafting a QB high to compete with him to be the starter. That’d actually be a great situation for us. We’d have a QB like Trubisky who’s kind of middle of the road, maybe a little less & is just entering his prime and then we’d have a great young prospect who has the potential to be a franchise QB.

For example if Trubisky did what you said and we gave him a contract like Fitzpatrick’s to be our QB after he had one good year for us & we drafted a young QB that would be a good situation. 

I would think having a good/great back is a good problem to have.

I also don’t see how you can’t think that this one year rental of Fitz is just kicking the can down the road. The defense is not getting younger, by not signing or preferably drafting a young QB were wasting a year of their prime bc it’s one more year longer till our QB will be good enough to lead us to playoff wins.

Edited by turtle28

There’s nothing wrong with extending Trubisky if he came here & played well on a one year deal & then drafting a QB high to compete with him to be the starter. That’d actually be a great situation for us. We’d have a QB like Trubisky who’s kind of middle of the road, maybe a little less & is just entering his prime and then we’d have a great young prospect who has the potential to be a franchise QB.

For example if Trubisky did what you said and we gave him a contract like Fitzpatrick’s to be our QB after he had one good year for us & we drafted a young QB that would be a good situation. 

I also don’t see how you can’t think that this one year rental of Fitz is just kicking the can down the road. The defense is not getting younger, by not signing or preferably drafting a young QB were wasting a year of their prime bc it’s one more year longer till our QB will be good enough to lead us to playoff wins.

Like others, my hesitation with Trubisky is I thought he got an adequate shot and the book is pretty much out on him...average at best.  I was open to signing him.  However, I expected he was gonna be a lot more expensive then he turned out to be.  At the contract he got, he might have been worth a swing.  But I also think it would be kind of pointless unless you really want to give him a shot and with Fitz here that isn't happening.  I don't recall any real rumors of us trying to go after him so the staff clearly didn't see him as a fit.  

When it comes to young vets, I was more curious about Darnold because I think he is more of an unknown after playing on that crappy team.  I will be watching him to see if we might have missed an opportunity there.  To me, the big offseason qb opportunities we might have missed are Darnold and Fields.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

There's ZERO chance that if Mitch plays a year here and we extend him to 4-5 years that we would then draft a QB high. ZEE...ROH...

As for Fitz. Because he's old and one foot out of the league. The defense with Mitch is kicking the can down the road 4-5 more years. I know Fitz has 1 year (2 at most if we get the QBOTF in 2022) on this roster. You talk of wasting defenses prime. We just signed Allen to an extension. I'd rather not waste his entire 2nd contract with Mitch as our QB. I'd rather get this over with quick and get on to our QBOTF. We aren't doing that if we re-sign Mitch.