Preseason Week 2 GDT - Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Despite Lance's finish, I think fair to say Jimmy will be starting week 1.

I hope so. I think he showed flashes either after he got comfortable or after the scrubs were on defense. But I definitely don’t have confidence in him yet. Jimmy’s way ahead in my opinion at this point. 

Just now, straighthate said:

I hope so. I think he showed flashes either after he got comfortable or after the scrubs were on defense. But I definitely don’t have confidence in him yet. Jimmy’s way ahead in my opinion at this point. 

As you saw in the game, more he plays, the more comfortable he will get. The growing pains are going to be there if he plays in year one or sits out and plays in year two. Pick your poison. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

As you saw in the game, more he plays, the more comfortable he will get. The growing pains are going to be there if he plays in year one or sits out and plays in year two. Pick your poison. 

I think the idea that he gains nothing out of a year of practice, being coached by NFL coaches, learning the offense and watching another QB have success and make mistakes, is incorrect. I’ve mentioned the examples of Young, Rodgers, Mahomes. There’s plenty of rookies who were ruined in my opinion because they played before they were ready to and never recovered, but I’ll admit I just can’t think of many QBs who walked into a roster like this and took the reigns. 

Who knows what’s the right way, and I’d say it depends on the rookie’s history and the system they’re coming in to. But bottom line, in my opinion Lance will improve a ton before year two by sitting the bench this year. Maybe as much as if he was playing. But I see no reason to sit him in preseason. Get him on the field and keep him there. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, straighthate said:

I think the idea that he gains nothing out of a year of practice, being coached by NFL coaches, learning the offense and watching another QB have success and make mistakes, is incorrect. I’ve mentioned the examples of Young, Rodgers, Mahomes. There’s plenty of rookies who were ruined in my opinion because they played before they were ready to and never recovered, but I’ll admit I just can’t think of many QBs who walked into a roster like this and took the reigns. 

Who knows what’s the right way, and I’d say it depends on the rookie’s history and the system they’re coming in to. But bottom line, in my opinion Lance will improve a ton before year two by sitting the bench this year. Maybe as much as if he was playing. But I see no reason to sit him in preseason. Get him on the field and keep him there. 

It's not like he's a typical #2 QB. He's going to play every game this season if he's the backup. 

8 minutes ago, Jlooney1126 said:

Lance has that Brett Favre arm.  Favre's WR's complained at the beginning on how hard he threw.  WR's better put them tough hands on and catch it.  Lance will learn to finesses it once he gets a lot of these nerves out.  

Hopefully. Colin K never learned to adjust his Howitzer arm, and the team suffered because of it. Obviously two different people, but I'm just saying it could go either way. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, straighthate said:

Kyle Boller is a guy that comes to mind when thinking of high profile rookies that were inserted on a roster poised to go to the Super Bowl. Started right way, and the Ravens went 5-3 before he got hurt, but it was more so in spite of him. And really he held the team back the next couple of years, which resulted in Brian Billick getting Steve McNair. Obviously Lance is a better prospect than Boller was with what else he can bring to the table, but yeah, there is one example. Boller was the third QB taken that year at 19th overall after Carson Palmer and Byron Leftwich. Great arm with a pretty spiral, but just inaccurate. Ravens traded their 2004 first round pick to move up to get him too. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe