Preseason Week 2 GDT - Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

My quick thoughts. 

Very encouraged by Lance, but Jimmy should be the starter. Though it’s closer than I think I thought It would be.

lenoir and Hufunga look like possible steals too me.

conpletley underwhelmed with Gallman, but I don’t see hasty beating him out, despite looking better. 

Sherfield is a bit of a surprise. Great chemistry and seems smooth, albeit not explosive.

Our defensive line could be the best in the league if it starts to fire on all cylinders.

• Like 3

What I was encouraged with the most with Lance is that mid-game he started to throw with touch after throwing rockets to start the game. His pass to James and Sherfield were nice touch throws. He already does a lot of the other good stuff that you eventually want a QB to learn. What he needs to improve on is getting rid of the ball quicker and being more accurate on those passes in the middle of the field. We have a bunch of YAC beasts and they need to catch the ball in stride. He also looked so much better in the two minute drill opposed to last week. 

Shanahan didn't commit on the starter and things seem to have finally taken a turn in possibly Lance's favor. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I think he just sees no reason to show his hand yet

Could be just that but I feel like Shanny is giving Lance his opportunity to show he should be the starter week 1. Next week will be interesting as it is the "dress rehearsal" game so will Shanny continue giving Lance time with the 1's or will it be Jimmy for the first half and then Lance finishing the game?

7 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Certainly seems like we got a steal with Huf. I'm pretty excited to see how he does this season. I assumed he was going to be a special teams ace, but it's really starting to look like he'll have a fairly prominent role on defense. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Certainly seems like we got a steal with Huf. I'm pretty excited to see how he does this season. I assumed he was going to be a special teams ace, but it's really starting to look like he'll have a fairly prominent role on defense. 

I certainly hope so! He was my favorite pick of Day 3 and competes well with my fave pick overall this draft: Trey Sermon (When a dude from your own alma mater is picked, that's awesome. Sure, he did a year at Ohio St., but I can forgive him that. He's a Sooner!)

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I want to say that one was like 3rd and 12 

One was like 3rd and 17 or 18 and Gallman got like 12 yards out of it. 

But this is what I was saying, once Lance takes over, he's going to be in the shotgun more and will get to utilize the zone read, RPO, operate out of the pistol formations etc. The offense is going to look completely different and he's going to have easier reads. Shanny clearly wants Lance to be useful in all formations though and wants him to be good under center so he can utilize his patented quick play action. Lance has to be able to win in all areas. 

I heard Shannon Sharpe say this morning that Jimmy will start the first three games and then Lance will be ready. That makes no sense at all lol. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

One was like 3rd and 17 or 18 and Gallman got like 12 yards out of it. 

But this is what I was saying, once Lance takes over, he's going to be in the shotgun more and will get to utilize the zone read, RPO, operate out of the pistol formations etc. The offense is going to look completely different and he's going to have easier reads. Shanny clearly wants Lance to be useful in all formations though and wants him to be good under center so he can utilize his patented quick play action. Lance has to be able to win in all areas. 

I heard Shannon Sharpe say this morning that Jimmy will start the first three games and then Lance will be ready. That makes no sense at all lol. 

Even in 2019, Jimmy was pretty bad out of shotgun, so I'm all for that. Jimmy has to be protected quite a bit by Shanny's scheme, which is fine, but definitely limits the upside. 

I think Kyle really wants to just run with Lance right away and is trying to give him every opportunity for it. 

I also don't understand the really arbitrary, "Lance is ready after such and such a time". Do I think that he's ready right now? Probably not. As a fan, I can say that I would still run him out there because I don't view us as real contenders either way and I'd rather get Lance's warts ironed out as much as possible right away. As a HC / GM, I get how that may not be feasible. 

• Like 2