Preseason Week 2 GDT - Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 hours ago, Forge said:

This tracks based on drops. I mean, even if you only count like 4 of them as drops, I think he'd be like 17 / 28 which is 60.71% as opposed to 13/28 which is 46.4% 

Yeah, and despite his low completion percentage, his YPA is still pretty solid compared to the other rookie QBs. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure what his ADOT was in game 2, but it was like 12 yards  in the first game lol.

That's going to be the formula if he starts week 1. Heavy run game with some big plays through the air. His ADOT was definitely lower this game than the first game. 

25 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I'm starting to get the feeling Kyle is going to start Lance week 1.

See, I was thinking the opposite. I'm not a big Simms fan but what he broke down in that vid I posted sums it up for me pretty accurately. Shanny gave Lance the opportunity to really put his foot on his throat and sieze the job and he failed. There was some good moments when he settled in but I just think when asked to run a traditional pro-style offense in passing situations, he's still a work a process. Doesn't mean Shanny can't dial up a gameplan to help him mask some of those flaws, as he works through them by repping them out. But I just believe he'll roll with Jimmy until he gives him a legitimate reason to trot Lance out there. The team as a whole still believe in Jimmy and I think that makes it easier as well. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 2:09 PM, 757-NINER said:

See, I was thinking the opposite. I'm not a big Simms fan but what he broke down in that vid I posted sums it up for me pretty accurately. Shanny gave Lance the opportunity to really put his foot on his throat and sieze the job and he failed. There was some good moments when he settled in but I just think when asked to run a traditional pro-style offense in passing situations, he's still a work a process. Doesn't mean Shanny can't dial up a gameplan to help him mask some of those flaws, as he works through them by repping them out. But I just believe he'll roll with Jimmy until he gives him a legitimate reason to trot Lance out there. The team as a whole still believe in Jimmy and I think that makes it easier as well. 

The team will buy into both/either guy because the team has already bought into Kyle. If we were talking about some bozo OC, then yeah, maybe it would be different, but whichever decision kyle makes, the entire organization will be behind that dude 100%. make no mistake about it. This is a strong locker room filled guys who want to win. 

Trey hasnt exactly "seized" the job but he has shown a lot of promise. His run fakes and footwork have all been on point. I am actually super pumped on his run fakes and pass fakes on draws. Its definitely an art form and he seems like he has worked on it extensively. He used a hard count at the end of the first half while running the 2m drill. That was very shrewd and shows great situational awareness. I saw him make some checks at the line on run plays. All of this stuff is very important to coaches. 

People throw the term "ball of clay" around lightly, but this kid seems to be absurdly coachable. I like that Kyle is getting his hands on him when he doesnt have any bad habits. He fixed his throwing motion. 

He is still a work in progress, but I think a point a lot of pro-lance people have made is that he can only learn so much without getting in game reps. He needs to refine his touch on some of the underneath stuff, but thats a lot harder to work on in practice. Starting him right away shouldnt hurt him in the long run because he learns so fast and seems to have a quiet confidence in himself. The fact he struggled, then put some nice drives together shows me that he is ready psychologically. the chiefs game was just about shaking off the rust, the chargers game was a big step forward, and Im excited to see him this week. 

I agree with forge that kyle wants to start Lance week 1. It may not happen, but I give it a month or our first loss before hes our full time starter.