The Trashing of Cousins

Doc Draper

On 10/31/2017 at 11:42 AM, Dashing202 said:

The franchise tag was a blessing in disguise we might even get Kirk cousins cheaper than expected .

That ain't happening.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Disagree with this. Kirk still has options:

• Need a QB next year
    • Arizona
    • Cleveland
    • Jacksonville
    • New York Jets
  • Might need a QB next year (depends on free agents/retirements)
    • Denver
    • Minnesota
    • New Orleans
    • Pittsburgh
    • San Francisco

I doubt he would go to Cleveland unless they SERIOUSLY back up the Brinks truck. I would have said the same of the Jets but they are competitive right now. Need some investment in the offense, but they aren't as far off as we might think.

Arizona and Jacksonville? Those are completely doable. The Jaguars, in particular, have a relatively easy division.

The other five teams require some things to break Cousins' way, whether it be the play of the existing QBs (Garroppolo for the 49ers, whomever for the Broncos), retirements (Brees and Roethlisberger), or free agents leaving (Bradford and possibly Bridgewater if his contract doesn't toll).

Arizona is not likely to spend the money for him. They have never been the big spenders. 

I dont think Cousins would go to Cleveland. 

Jacksonville is a possible, but there needs to be consistency in their winning before he goes there. 

The Jets are just as bad as Cleveland, and they typically don't spend a ton of money. 

The others:

Denver drafted Paxton Lynch, starting Brock Osweiler, and still have Siemien. 

Minnesota still has Teddy B, and is likely the best landing spot, but for Cousins I am not sure they would have the cap room, that is because I dont know their cap space off hand.

Pittsburgh doesnt spend on free agents. Period. They drafted Landry Jones and Josh Dobbs. They will draft a high pick QB before they spend a lot of money on a QB. 

New Orleans is viable. But that is saying that Brees doesnt play another year, which is more favorable that he does considering their success thus far. Plus cap space, they are usually in a hole. 

And San Fran has Jimmy G. 

So, Jax or Minny are the best bets. Minny might not have the cap room either. And I know the Sheik down in Jax will pony the money if they want him. 

40 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

I think Kirk stays unless the jags come out of no where heck maybe the Giants ! If they decide to release Eli manning 

I can't see any scenario in which Kirk Cousins suits up for the redskins next year...

1 hour ago, Dashing202 said:

Yea dude where he gonna go .

I actually hope he leaves so we can continue building pieces for this team . I'm down for a new headcoach and qb I just wish we could get harbough out of Michigan .

Snyder doesn’t like people with opinions so I don’t see that. I’d be happy though

21 hours ago, mike23md said:

Arizona is not likely to spend the money for him. They have never been the big spenders. 

I'll concede this as a point. The Bidwells have a long reputation for being cheap.

I dont think Cousins would go to Cleveland. 

The Jets are just as bad as Cleveland, and they typically don't spend a ton of money. 

1. I did point out that Cleveland was a serious long shot barring an insane amount of money.
  2. I disagree that the Jets are as bad. I think they may not be great, but they're certainly not in the same realm of badness as Cleveland. Like I said, Bowles is doing a spectacular job this season. They should be building for the post-Brady AFC East. That might preclude them from going after Cousins.

Denver drafted Paxton Lynch, starting Brock Osweiler, and still have Siemien. 

Both Siemien and Osweiler have shown themselves to be backups and not guys you can build long term around (and Osweiler's on a one year deal). Lynch is the only gum in the works, but the problem for the Broncos is that even they don't know what they have in him because he cannot stay healthy.

Pittsburgh doesnt spend on free agents. Period. They drafted Landry Jones and Josh Dobbs. They will draft a high pick QB before they spend a lot of money on a QB. 

Fair enough. That said, they have shelled out for players in the past (Mike Marshall, for instance). But you're right, they tend to build internally.

New Orleans is viable. But that is saying that Brees doesnt play another year, which is more favorable that he does considering their success thus far. Plus cap space, they are usually in a hole. 

A good chunk of New Orleans' cap woes are due to Brees. But you're right, New Orleans is only an option if Brees retires.

That leaves us with Minnesota (who could conceivably have 0 quarterbacks on the roster come March, depending on how the Bridgewater contract works its way out), Jacksonville, and San Francisco. The 49ers are going to do everything they can to keep Garoppolo since they just gave up a 2nd round pick for him. However, it's entirely possible he could stink up the joint (is he the next Matt Cassel?), or it could be he decides he doesn't want to stay in San Francisco because of some sort of swirl. Remember, this is the franchise that tossed away Jim Harbaugh recently.

Jacksonville makes the most sense, though. Most of the parts are there: a top, young running back; a good stable of receivers; a solid offensive line; and a top defense. All they really need is a quarterback, and maybe a decent tight end.

Archived