Urban Meyer announces Lawrence as QB1

.Buzz

16 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

Are we….expecting that? I know Urban said Linder should be good to go for week 1, is there a timeline on Cam and Norwell?

Not at all. Based on comments they’ll all be out there.

More so just saying it’s kind of expected to have some issues protection wise when our two best OL haven’t been out there during any game reps so far and arguably our third best OL was out this past week against that front 7 we just faced.

20 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

let me tell you the tale of the 2008 season opener

Don’t you dare.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JiffyJag said:

Are we….expecting that? I know Urban said Linder should be good to go for week 1, is there a timeline on Cam and Norwell?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2021/08/25/urban-meyer-provides-injury-update-on-cam-robinson-marvin-jones-and-others/amp/

Jags coach Urban Meyer provided and update on two of the three starters from the group, stating that Cam Robinson should be back at left tackle this week, while Andrew Norwell is unlikely to play until the Week 1 opener.

“[Andrew] Norwell is expected to come back,”Meyer said. “He’ll for sure be back for Game 1. I don’t think we’ll play him this week. Cam [Robinson] was out. I think he’ll be ready for this week. I think I’ll know more tomorrow.”

Anyway...thank goodness this is over.  I'm still annoyed that it was ever even treated like a serious "thing".  There was never a competition.  It was an utterly farcical sham of a pretend "meritocracy", and was from the very start.  If anything, it was a poorly veiled attempt to "shop" or "market" the Mississippi Moustache in the preseason, and that's fine i guess.  But treating it like it was even a "competition", is patronizing to fans, who could immediately see the difference between "what Minshew can do" and "what Lawrence can do".  And it's different leagues of ability, that make any sort of "competition" and "hard works wins the day" bull**** rhetoric completely moot.  I refuse to believe that anyone on or around the team, who has spent their entire lives around the game playing it to a professional level, would've been remotely "convinced" it was a true competition.  It's kind of offensively patronizing.

Fortunately, it really doesn't matter, because Trevor is so talented, and has the perfect demeanor to just roll with the dumb gag for a few weeks.  It's just stupid and offensive that they even tried to sell it as real "competition".  This ain't college Urban.  You're not gonna like, take Jake Fromm over Fields or Eason or whatever.  Nobody with half a brain believes that.

The only circumstance where it would've made an ounce of sense to have the starting position up for grabs...would be if Trevor just truly was not grasping, and in command of enough of the offense to play.  In which case...given the player Trevor is...that's just an indictment of the coaching staff on thoroughly impeachable incompetence.  Failing completely, to tailor the offensive scheme to what your #1 overall pick rookie QB can excel in.  Which frankly, may still actually be the case.  But that's neither here, nor there...because Trevor is transcendent, and managed to rise above all of that nonsense and noise, and bad playcalling and poor offensive design, and STILL look vastly superior to the "competitor".  So...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Anyway...thank goodness this is over.  I'm still annoyed that it was ever even treated like a serious "thing".  There was never a competition.  It was an utterly farcical sham of a pretend "meritocracy", and was from the very start.  If anything, it was a poorly veiled attempt to "shop" or "market" the Mississippi Moustache in the preseason, and that's fine i guess.  But treating it like it was even a "competition", is patronizing to fans, who could immediately see the difference between "what Minshew can do" and "what Lawrence can do".  And it's different leagues of ability, that make any sort of "competition" and "hard works wins the day" bull**** rhetoric completely moot.  I refuse to believe that anyone on or around the team, who has spent their entire lives around the game playing it to a professional level, would've been remotely "convinced" it was a true competition.  It's kind of offensively patronizing.

Fortunately, it really doesn't matter, because Trevor is so talented, and has the perfect demeanor to just roll with the dumb gag for a few weeks.  It's just stupid and offensive that they even tried to sell it as real "competition".  This ain't college Urban.  You're not gonna like, take Jake Fromm over Fields or Eason or whatever.  Nobody with half a brain believes that.

The only circumstance where it would've made an ounce of sense to have the starting position up for grabs...would be if Trevor just truly was not grasping, and in command of enough of the offense to play.  In which case...given the player Trevor is...that's just an indictment of the coaching staff on thoroughly impeachable incompetence.  Failing completely, to tailor the offensive scheme to what your #1 overall pick rookie QB can excel in.  Which frankly, may still actually be the case.  But that's neither here, nor there...because Trevor is transcendent, and managed to rise above all of that nonsense and noise, and bad playcalling and poor offensive design, and STILL look vastly superior to the "competitor".  So...

I didn't get too annoyed by it all because the whole issue of who our starter is going to be in Houston on the 12th is probably the worst kept secret in the league.  Nobody was buying the whole competition thing at all.  It just would have been nice if Urban would have done away with the whole charade a week ago and given Trevor all the reps with the starters, which is something every rookie needs.  Oh well.  It's over now, and we can all move on with Trevor going forward. 

14 hours ago, pwny said:

Glad they seemingly took it seriously, even if the outcome was obvious from the beginning.

And glad it’s done, because now I can safely go buy tickets to see his first NFL start. 

If you had your choice, would you want Deshaun Watson starting for Houston, or would you prefer his replacement?  It's kind of a choice between the entertainment value of being able to watch a quality QB in Watson, or getting what should be an almost automatic win for the Jags if his replacement is starting.

Edited by Uncle Buck