Should we sign Trent Murphy?

turtle28

I realize he wasn’t the greatest edge rusher for us except the year he was suspended for PEDs but, we have zero depth that’s played valuable snaps in an NFL season before.

He’s not a world beater but, he’s not the worst back up DE to have either.

I think we should sign him on a one year deal given the price is right.

2 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I guess Buffalo cut him ? We can use some vet help for sure. Figure we'll wait for tomorrows cut down to see what's available.

Buffalo didn’t cut him, he’s just a free agent DE who hasn’t been signed. I guess Bradley-King has flashed some, but Toney hasn’t like I thought he would and while they like Smith-Williams, he hasn’t flashed that I’ve seen this preseason either.

I don’t know, like most people I feel we need a veteran there as our young guys haven’t flashed much to me. I’m concerned about DE depth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I wouldn't want to lose anyone you're telling me we need to cut to go get him. 

We’d be talking about not keeping Bradley-King or Toney as our 4th DE so that we could sign a veteran DE who’s been an average starter in this league but he’d be the 3rd DE for us. 

I just like most people are concerned about not only our depth at LB & TE but also DE. It seems to me that signing Murphy would give us reliable depth & a better rotation than what we currently have.

I’d be on board with the idea of signing a veteran DE.

If Young or Sweat goes down for any period of time, James Smith-Williams becomes a full-time player and the starters will be spelled (regularly) by someone like Casey Toohill or WBK or Shaka Toney. That’s not good enough for a depth chart, not on a team that intends to be competitive. 

We are starting to get to a different point in the life cycle of a franchise, the one where we can’t just devote every spot on the roster to the best “long term”/youthful options. When you have a genuine expectation of playoff competition, and you’ve turned the keys over to a 39-year-old QB, you can’t go into the season with no proven backups at key positions. Or at least you shouldn’t. 

• Like 1

If they thought they needed a veteran DE in the rotation would they have just kept Kerrigan? Unless an injury happens to Chase or Montez I wouldn’t be worried about it. There’s always a bunch of DE’s out there, no need to waste a roster spot now. 

11 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

If they thought they needed a veteran DE in the rotation would they have just kept Kerrigan? Unless an injury happens to Chase or Montez I wouldn’t be worried about it. There’s always a bunch of DE’s out there, no need to waste a roster spot now. 

I think it was a mutual thing with Kerrigan. Kerrigan wanted more playing time but it’s obvious he wasn’t going to get much with Chase & Montez being infront of him. 

Maybe the same would be for Murphy or other vet DEs that they wouldn’t want to come here bc they wouldn’t play much because we have two stud starters but I think Murphy is a different case than Kerrigan.

I don’t think Kerrigan was going to stay.

25 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Funny Murphy being brought up. I wanted Everson Griffen before the Vikings signed him for a little over a million. Was told he was "just a name". He's better than Murph . !

Damn, I would’ve wanted Griffen. I just have missed that post. He would’ve been a good signing, but I wonder if he would’ve wanted to sign here bc he wasn’t going to get a lot of playing time behind Chase & Montez.

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Damn, I would’ve wanted Griffen. I just have missed that post. He would’ve been a good signing, but I wonder if he would’ve wanted to sign here bc he wasn’t going to get a lot of playing time behind Chase & Montez.

You were the one told me I wanted names. It's under Training Camp- Aug 10 th post . 🧐

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

You were the one told me I wanted names. It's under Training Camp- Aug 10 th post . 🧐

Damn I take it back. He had 6 sacks last year between Dallas & Detroit. He still has something to offer, I have to wonder if veteran TEs want to come here though bc they’re not going to play w/ Chase & Montez being so great.

• Like 1