MNF GDT Week 1: Ravens @ Raiders

NYRaider

Who wins/  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Ravens

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah I mean the extension honestly looked like Gruden/Mayock panicked when Hudson asked to be cut/traded and they wanted to seem like that was their plan the whole time. 

Hudson's play may have declined but he was still one of the best centers in the league and the anchor for our OL. 

Like he was a little overpaid and i know he wanted out. But I’m worried about James’ strength. He always seems to get pushed back a little. He can move in the run game, but he needs to be a rock in there.

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Everyone on here told me Collins had the most pressures of any DT outside of Donald and that Ferrell/Crosby would improve.

I think anyone would be hard pressed to say last years defense was better on paper than this years defense and it’s not close(I’m surprised to have to say that).

Everyone on here told me Collins had the most pressures of any DT outside of Donald and that Ferrell/Crosby would improve.

I think everyone was hoping for improvement but the #1 problem last year was still Guenther.  

Mariota diced up Gus Bradley's scheme.

What year are you talking about?  2018 when Bradley was the DC MM had 237 yards 1 td 1 int and 38 rushing yards.  In 2016 that was MMs best year, GB was the HC, MMs numbers were not great, and it was a division game so all bets are off.  The stats were 369 yards 3 tds 0 ints and 14 yards rushing over 2 games.  Not impressive at all.

15 hours ago, NYRaider said:

People want Carr to get a nice extension but we literally need to use the backup in scoring situations, lol.

For me, I'd want the best QB in when we're in the red zone and that is Carr. I'm not against having specific packages for Mariota and bringing him in now and again like the Saints initially did with Taysom Hill but to me the best guy to have in there is the best QB when it counts. Sure, bring him in once a game in the red zone for a wrinkle that the DC might not have seen but I think it should be as a shock tactic not just subbing him in as we're in scoring range. He's much more likely to throw an interception under pressure and he's not that great of a runner either.

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

I think everyone was hoping for improvement but the #1 problem last year was still Guenther.  

What year are you talking about?  2018 when Bradley was the DC MM had 237 yards 1 td 1 int and 38 rushing yards.  In 2016 that was MMs best year, GB was the HC, MMs numbers were not great, and it was a division game so all bets are off.  The stats were 369 yards 3 tds 0 ints and 14 yards rushing over 2 games.  Not impressive at all.

15 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

For me, I'd want the best QB in when we're in the red zone and that is Carr. I'm not against having specific packages for Mariota and bringing him in now and again like the Saints initially did with Taysom Hill but to me the best guy to have in there is the best QB when it counts. Sure, bring him in once a game in the red zone for a wrinkle that the DC might not have seen but I think it should be as a shock tactic not just subbing him in as we're in scoring range. He's much more likely to throw an interception under pressure and he's not that great of a runner either.

Carr's red zone stats under Gruden (3 years): 718 yards (57% comp), 44 TD, 5 INT

Mariota's red zone stats (Last 3 seasons as a starter): 554 yards (55% comp), 32 TD, 1 INT

Mariota's ability as a runner definitely adds a different dynamic but Carr has been a more productive passer there. I also think the Taysom Hill comparison is a reach because Hill is probably the most unique player in the league, he can line up at QB, RB, WR, or TE. 

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Like he was a little overpaid and i know he wanted out. But I’m worried about James’ strength. He always seems to get pushed back a little. He can move in the run game, but he needs to be a rock in there.

Yeah I saw a photo of James with Kolton and Richie at a day club and he looked super small next to them. This week will be a really good gauge of his run blocking ability, Brandon Williams has been a starter for years and as even made the Pro Bowl once. Dude is absolutely massive and one of the better run defenders in the league. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

I think anyone would be hard pressed to say last years defense was better on paper than this years defense and it’s not close(I’m surprised to have to say that).

Going into last season everyone said the defense would be better than it was in 2019 because we had finally addressed the LB spot, were getting Abram back, people were high on Collins, and expected Ferrell/Crosby to take a leap. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr's red zone stats under Gruden (3 years): 718 yards (57% comp), 44 TD, 5 INT

Mariota's red zone stats (Last 3 seasons as a starter): 554 yards (55% comp), 32 TD, 1 INT

Mariota's ability as a runner definitely adds a different dynamic but Carr has been a more productive passer there. I also think the Taysom Hill comparison is a reach because Hill is probably the most unique player in the league, he can line up at QB, RB, WR, or TE. 

It wasn't a comparison to the player. I was merely saying when Sean Payton initially started using Hill it was as a shock weapon for one or two plays rather than bring him in for a stretch of plays such as just put him in specifically in the red zone. That was kind of what I was thinking, and again I did say that Mariota isn't the greatest runner so he's obviously not the same type of player. It could be an interesting wrinkle but I wouldn't just sub him in was what I was getting at.

• Like 2

I'm interested to see how we use Drake this season, he was 5th in the NFL in red zone TD's last year. I know Gruden had also mentioned lining him up in the slot at times as well. 

Anything that gets us touchdowns im all for it. Drake is very good when he’s used well. He can be an X factor on offense.

Going into last season everyone said the defense would be better than it was in 2019 because we had finally addressed the LB spot, were getting Abram back, people were high on Collins, and expected Ferrell/Crosby to take a leap. 

They must’ve forgot or not known that Defensive Coordinator we had at the time has no track record of developing young talent. The youngest player that he had starting was 24. 

Whoever said that also must’ve not been paying attention to how said defensive coordinator misused other players that were good before they got here. 

so I would say the difference between this year and last year is that coordinator is gone and replaced by a better coordinator with a track record of success, building a defense from scratch and Developing young players

• Like 1

Yeah but if KJ Wright, Ngakoue, Hayward, McCoy, Jefferson, etc all suck I think that will be something. Not to mention Moehrig replacing Harris, Joyner not being on the team anymore, and having Ferrell/Nassib as the depth guys instead of Key. Hard to say it’s not a lot better. 

7 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

They must’ve forgot or not known that Defensive Coordinator we had at the time has no track record of developing young talent. The youngest player that he had starting was 24. 

Whoever said that also must’ve not been paying attention to how said defensive coordinator misused other players that were good before they got here. 

so I would say the difference between this year and last year is that coordinator is gone and replaced by a better coordinator with a track record of success, building a defense from scratch and Developing young players

Our 2019 defense wasn't good but it was a lot better than our 2020 defense. 

2019 with Guenther: 354 ypg, 26.2 ppg, 32 sacks, 15 takeaways

2020 Chargers defense: 343 ypg, 26.6 ppg, 27 sacks, 19 takeaways

Gus definitely has a better track record of developing young talent but it takes time. The Seahawks defense was bad his first two years there and then made a leap. The Jaguars defense was terrible every year with Bradley as their head coach. And while the Chargers definitely had some good defenses they regressed every year under Bradley.