MNF GDT Week 1: Ravens @ Raiders

NYRaider

Who wins/  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Ravens

46 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

To each their own. If the Oline struggles, this offense will find life difficult. They are replacing 3 starters and starting a rookie RT. The Ravens and Steelers in back to back weeks are going to open eyes to the problems on the Oline.

Plus Richie missed all of last year and is already hurt again so Simpson will likely be starting at OG who is also essentially a rookie. Not to mention Andre James only has 1 career start and is a massive downgrade from Rodney Hudson.

38 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

I also think that we'll be fine on the Oline. I personally think it's overblown because of the shock from the Hudson trade. I actually think we got better at the guard spots and if Leatherwood stays healthy a more consistent RT. Its really just center that im concerned about. We will face a stern test week one and two though(and really the first 6 weeks  in general) so we will really know what they're made of early in the season.  

Better at the guard spots? Good is probably on par with Gabe Jackson and Simpson (who likely starts) is worse than good. I think you're underestimating how much guys like Jackson, Incognito, and especially Hudson helped our younger/backup OL when they had to step in. Good was okay last year at LG but he was also playing in between Miller/Hudson (same goes for Simpson), when he played RT he was playing next to Gabe Jackson. When Andre James made his one and only start he had two good, experienced, veteran guards next to him in Incognito and Jackson. This year he'll have Simpson and Good next to him. 

49 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Wasn't the O-Line like 24th in a league last year?

You don't think that it can get worse? lol 

Look at 2018 when we had rookie Kolton Miller/Brandon Parker at OT and Osemele at OG. Carr got sacked 51 times and we were 26th in rushing offense. 

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Better at the guard spots? Good is probably on par with Gabe Jackson and Simpson (who likely starts) is worse than good. I think you're underestimating how much guys like Jackson, Incognito, and especially Hudson helped our younger/backup OL when they had to step in. Good was okay last year at LG but he was also playing in between Miller/Hudson (same goes for Simpson), when he played RT he was playing next to Gabe Jackson. When Andre James made his one and only start he had two good, experienced, veteran guards next to him in Incognito and Jackson. This year he'll have Simpson and Good next to him. 

I was referring more to on the season at large. I don’t even understand why but incognito is better than Gabe Jackson. 

i’m pretty sure in my last post I mentioned that Andre James was a concern but it’s one of those things where I’m not gonna theorize on him anymore(because that’s really February March talk). We’re going to see what he’s about in less than a week against a really good defensive front and the first six weeks he will be challenged.

I think it also gives us a chance to see what Derek Carr is made out of when the line isn’t highly compensated. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

My biggest worry with this team is that as the defense improves, the offense takes a major step back. 

We saw Carr's ceiling last year. He doesn't have another level. I have my doubts about the remade Oline. They are young, inexperienced and an injury away from being a complete mess. I see Carr getting more pressure and the run game being a problem behind this Oline. Factor in Carr does not have a true number 1 WR, yes he has Waller, but the rest is unknown.

Basically a lot and has to go right for this offense to be optimal in my opinion. The schedule could bury this team otherwise. The Oline has to gel and these young players have to be great early. Ruggs has to live up to his draft position and Edwards has to stay healthy.

I think Carr can play better than last year. He’s been ascending under gruden IMO and can still use his legs better and be more consistently aggressive. Plus he can cut down on the fumbles. You have to hope gruden will let him be aggressive because you know how he gets competitive with his play calling. If Carr  doesn’t improve from last year, even though he was good last year, I’d flirt with drafting/developing a qb.

I do think it’s possible the offense will regress. There are some young players that need to step up. I’m excited to see if they do. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think Carr can play better than last year. He’s been ascending under gruden IMO and can still use his legs better and be more consistently aggressive. Plus he can cut down on the fumbles. You have to hope gruden will let him be aggressive because you know how he gets competitive with his play calling. If Carr  doesn’t improve from last year, even though he was good last year, I’d flirt with drafting/developing a qb.

I do think it’s possible the offense will regress. There are some young players that need to step up. I’m excited to see if they do. 

Also there were like four interceptions that bounced off the receivers hands into the defenders and even with that he only threw nine

43 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The offense could regress or it could be even better. It really will come down to our offensive line and Ruggs/Edwards. If our offensive line plays well Drake/Jacobs should be one of the most productive RB duos in the league. And if Ruggs/Edwards make a leap we should have a solid group of pass catchers with those two, Renfrow, Waller, Jacobs, and Drake. 

10 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Also there were like four interceptions that bounced off the receivers hands into the defenders and even with that he only threw nine

Carr has done a pretty solid job of protecting the ball in the passing game throughout his career, over the last 3 year he had the 11th lowest INT% in each season. But I think that's kind of a double edged sword because a big factor in why he doesn't throw a ton of INT's is because he's always pretty conservative and doesn't take a lot of big play throws. 

49 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Desmond Ridder in the second round would be my preference if we're taking a developmental QB next year. Although I'd do unspeakable things to somehow land Bryce Young in 2023.

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The offense could regress or it could be even better. It really will come down to our offensive line and Ruggs/Edwards. If our offensive line plays well Drake/Jacobs should be one of the most productive RB duos in the league. And if Ruggs/Edwards make a leap we should have a solid group of pass catchers with those two, Renfrow, Waller, Jacobs, and Drake. 

Yeah I also think there’s a lot of potential. We’ll see I’m too nervous to make optimistic projections now that we’re this close to the season. 

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah I also think there’s a lot of potential. We’ll see I’m too nervous to make optimistic projections now that we’re this close to the season. 

Yeah it's also hard to make projections when we really didn't see any of our starters play in the preseason.

13 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

I also think that we'll be fine on the Oline. I personally think it's overblown because of the shock from the Hudson trade. I actually think we got better at the guard spots and if Leatherwood stays healthy a more consistent RT. Its really just center that im concerned about. We will face a stern test week one and two though(and really the first 6 weeks  in general) so we will really know what they're made of early in the season.  

There is something to be said for experience. That will come in time, but the Oline as a whole is not a strength of the team as it was in years past. That puts the spotlight on Carr who has struggled with pressure and fumbles. 

I have no issues with the changes upfront on the Oline as it was an aging, salary bloated unit who were underperforming but I do expect them to struggle this season. This Oline reminds me of Cable's late Seattle Oline's where he's hoping to develop unheralded young players and hoping it works (James, Simpson, Leatherwood).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

There is something to be said for experience. That will come in time, but the Oline as a whole is not a strength of the team as it was in years past. That puts the spotlight on Carr who has struggled with pressure and fumbles. 

I have no issues with the changes upfront on the Oline as it was an aging, salary bloated unit who were underperforming but I do expect them to struggle this season. This Oline reminds me of Cable's late Seattle Oline's where he's hoping to develop unheralded young players and hoping it works (James, Simpson, Leatherwood).

Yea I’m not too optimistic and I think going vs 2 blitz heavy teams will definitely tell us what level the oline is at. If we start slow and lose games early I can see the team tanking on gruden.