Week 1: Jaguars @ Texans - A new era begins

pwny

I hate to make declarations after one game, but seeing what was going on the sideline, that game has me questioning if Urban can work at this level. All the poor play, the holding penalties, the bad coverage I can write off to things that need time to gel.

But then there was the 12 men in the huddle, multiple illegal formation calls, burning timeouts because the players aren’t on the field that are supposed to be and they can’t break the huddle in a timely manner, and from the sideline I saw around 10-12 times they sent the wrong players onto the field in a substitution and had to call them off.

22 minutes ago, pwny said:

I hate to make declarations after one game, but seeing what was going on the sideline, that game has me questioning if Urban can work at this level. All the poor play, the holding penalties, the bad coverage I can write off to things that need time to gel.

But then there was the 12 men in the huddle, multiple illegal formation calls, burning timeouts because the players aren’t on the field that are supposed to be and they can’t break the huddle in a timely manner, and from the sideline I saw around 10-12 times they sent the wrong players onto the field in a substitution and had to call them off.

Feel like this is more so an issue of who he assembled as a staff tbh.

He seems to have taken the role of more of a CEO. Said after the last preseason game that the position coaches need to take care of their bodies and keep them healthy/prepared. However what we saw today seemed to be a completely unorganized team.

Feel like Urban put a bit too much faith in his staff so far and may need to alter how passive he seems to be as far as gameplanning/coaching goes.

I’m taking this one game at a time. The results today were extremely disappointing and concerning, but this team was and is a huge project, and I think how they rebound from this will say a lot about how bought in these players are to Urban’s “vision”. This was an extremely demoralizing loss, but I think a win or even just a competitive game against Denver could do a lot for the team’s morale and for us fans too, who are all seemingly in doomer mode. 
also slightly biased because I’ll be at the game next week. Time to see if I’m good or bad luck, I suppose. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He seems to have taken the role of more of a CEO. Said after the last preseason game that the position coaches need to take care of their bodies and keep them healthy/prepared. However what we saw today seemed to be a completely unorganized team.

Feel like Urban put a bit too much faith in his staff so far and may need to alter how passive he seems to be as far as gameplanning/coaching goes.

I hope that’s it and they get it sorted out. But this was a disastrous debut.

I will say that the one time I could completely pin down who was responsible for the screw up, it was a coach who I couldn’t tell you who they are. After the first stop the defense had, Shaq came off the field celebrating with teammates and the coach came running over a little after and told him he had to get on the field. He ran out there, got ready to block and then they yelled at him to get off the field and he came over throwing his hands in the air, completely confused why they sent him out there and then called him back off.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

also slightly biased because I’ll be at the game next week. Time to see if I’m good or bad luck, I suppose. 

Was gonna *argue* with your first part, but given this I won’t try to ruin your time at the game before it even starts.

Bring the good luck for us. And if you have seats with a good view of the sideline, try to watch the substitutions and see if it was better than I saw today for me.

15 minutes ago, JiffyJag said:

I’m taking this one game at a time. The results today were extremely disappointing and concerning, but this team was and is a huge project, and I think how they rebound from this will say a lot about how bought in these players are to Urban’s “vision”. This was an extremely demoralizing loss, but I think a win or even just a competitive game against Denver could do a lot for the team’s morale and for us fans too, who are all seemingly in doomer mode. 

I really don’t like this next weeks matchup either tbh. That defense is very talented and although Bridgewater is meh he seems like someone who could dink and dunk it down the field with our suspect pass rush.

8 minutes ago, pwny said:

And John Elway went 1/8 with a pick in his debut 

A good reminder that teams getting these generational guys are also just not set up well for them to have early success.

I mean the fact that a number 1 overall pick has only won their first game what, 4 times in NFL History? Speaks for itself imo 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

I've been thinking that Urban may have underestimated himself a little bit and hired coordinators who he could lean on because of their experience as he becomes accustomed to the NFL world.  He probably could have done a little better when it comes to getting a staff that will help out the young roster. 

In any case, even though we had a long day, they will learn from it, move forward, and improve as they go along.  We knew coming in that this was going to take some time.

We still have a LOT to be excited about for the future.  We'll get there.