Wheel of Time Season 2 (Sept 1 Amazon Prime)

The Gnat

On 11/29/2021 at 7:42 AM, THE DUKE said:

Episode 4 was better, but kind of like The Witcher, I think they are going too big too fast (and I think the Witcher did it better than WoT given the non-linear storytelling of The Witcher).  None of the deaths or reveals so far have really earned any emotional impact. My biggest problem, but one I think they might get themselves out of is:

Reveal hidden contents

The Wisdom chick potentially being The Dragon after they spent the first three episodes building up the other 4 characters would be a cheap swerve. We basically don't really know anything about her, once again, little to no emotional impact.

I do agree that the Aes Saedi are getting fleshed out a little more, but they haven't really done much to make me feel on their side though outside of them talking about themselves fighting for good.

The only character I really feel for at the moment is Matt and that was mostly a cheap "he cares for his sisters he's a good guy deep down" kind of setup.  Rand feels close, but he needs built a little more and it needs to be outside of him being in love with the one chick who's name I seem to have trouble remembering.  I take that back, they are doing a decent job with Lan as well and an ok job with Moiraine.

Definitely trending up, looking forward to episode 5 and hope the writers dig themselves out of some of the pitfalls they seem to be heading towards.

I'm in the process of re-reading the first book (mainly to remind myself of what I've forgotten). I had originally thought they were moving to slow relative to the book, but the first fight in Two Rivers was 100 pages in and Shadar Logoth was nearing the 250 page point (out of a nearly 700 page book). So, while they are moving fast, that's the underlying text.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:39 AM, Deadpulse said:

This are clear roles in the overall narrative for each character from episode one. I don't think we have that for the Twin Rivers gang. 

I think this is a combination of the change from the focus in the book to where they are focusing in the show as well as the first book is the beginning of their "hero's journeys." Part of it is also that they've had to fracture the storyline so early (which is canonical). There's a fair amount of character building that happened in the beginning that they've washed over. In reading over the book, I can totally understand why (from a show perspective I'm maybe halfway through the first episode?), but by not fleshing out the characters early, there's little to tie them to you.

That said, they do grow.

On 11/29/2021 at 10:33 AM, THE DUKE said:

And assuming He Who Must Not Be Named isn't the big bad (which from discussion here he sounds more like a ringwraith comparison from LotR) then they really need something better than "The Dark One" to establish the big bad.

The Fade is most definitively below a ringwraith. You haven't met their equivalent yet ...

The show has done a bad job of establishing the religion and faith. This may be where some of the lack of urgency/emotion may be coming from. Other than the Five running from beasties, there's no understanding of why.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2021 at 12:50 PM, sammymvpknight said:

This is very good news. All of our opinions don't matter if the rating websites aren't on board. And it is VERY important because we NEED a Way of Kings series and that may never happen if WoT bombs.

I so want to see the Assassin in White vs. Gavilar et al. scene now. Oh the fun the CGI animators could have with that battle.

On 11/29/2021 at 4:26 PM, Deadpulse said:

Its not too much to ask for the characters to have defining character traits and their own goals and ambitions outside of being the Dragon

Again, they should have made this clear (lack of religious basis): none of them want to be the Dragon.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2021 at 2:56 PM, Deadpulse said:

way more interesting IMO. They had a ton of chemistry and clear role as comedic relief who immediately were thrust into a clear new path after being captured within 1.5 hours of footage (or less than 2 episodes). Nothing that interesting has happened to these peeps in that time. They ran away from some dark **** that hasnt been explained yet. 

Wait I got it. How about how generic the characters from Agents of Shield initially seemed and their eventual transformation over the seasons?

On 11/29/2021 at 4:52 PM, Xenos said:

I guess using LOTR instead, how interesting were Merry and Pippin in FOTR versus where they end up in ROTK? Heck, even Sam? Frodo was the one who was going to carry the ring after all.

and none of them were interesting. ever. to me

7 hours ago, Xenos said:

Wait I got it. How about how generic the characters from Agents of Shield initially seemed and their eventual transformation over the seasons?

yea the first season of AoS sucked lol

Grant's character and actor got waaaaaaay better after the Hydra reveal though.