Wheel of Time Season 2 (Sept 1 Amazon Prime)

The Gnat

Just binged both seasons. Impressions of season 1 was LOTR wannabe, but it had some highlights. Season 2 had high and low moments as well. Feels like they are spread too thin with so many characters having their own stories and trying to cram them all in on screen. But, this may have been enough to scratch the 'buy the books' itch - did that with GOT after season 1, enjoyed the books but regret having picked up a non-finished series. I believe this one is completed, so wouldn't get burned.

• 2 weeks later...

I should really get around to watching the second season of this.  Just never seem to summon up the energy for it.

I enjoyed the first season.  But i binged it with my dad who was a huge fan of the books i guess.  So he could fill in a lot more gaps in things.  It was fun.

But he went ahead and just binged the next season himself, so...i didn't get to watch it with him while i was home over the holidays.  Now i've just gotta wtf at the weird stuff by myself. lol.

I keep forgetting about it.  Because it's not really one of those good "background" shows.  I want to actually sit down and watch it specifically.

• 2 months later...

Just went and re-watched season 1 and then watched season 2. 

I will say that I actually enjoyed season 1 a bit more than I did the first time around. 

I liked season 2 more than season 1. 

Couple of things though...

If the goal was GOT, I think they missed. This is fine in an action and events sort of way, but it doesn't have the feel of a sweeping epic or anything.  It doesn't require that kind of scrutiny when watching. it's still a fine watch, but it kind of just seems more complicated  than it actually is. Kind of feels like how old "high fantasy" novels were written before the days of truly complicated gritty fantasy became a thing. I thought they may hit that when it came to the tower politics in season 1, but that went by the wayside and it's really more of a traditional "good vs evil" thing. 

Some of these actors are baaaaaad. Sorry, Rand. 

The Mat re-casting is unfortunate. I don't know the source material, so I don't really know how Mat was written, but the original actor had this really kind of dark and morose and broody aura to him, even when he was supposed to be having fun gambling and all that. Even when there was a joke, there was something underneath it and I thought that worked really, really well. New Mat is fine, but very different energy to the character now. 

I liked season 2 more than 1. Maybe it was just the fact that there was actually an enemy to fight. In season 1 the entire season is just kind of centered on this looming, nebulous 'dark one' with the trollacs always kind of looming if you want to have a quick action scene.  They sort of threw a couple of episodes into this, then a couple into that, but they moved on pretty quickly. Having the Dark One be the buoy of your season while the narrative floats around just didn't tie me in as tightly as having a clear target like they did in season 2. 

I also largely disliked the characters (especially the kids) in the first season. Season 2 was much stronger for them in my opinion.