Week 1 - Bears vs Rams

Sugashane

9 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I've never been convinced that Lazor ever took over play-calling last year despite what we were being fed by him and the media. NOT ONCE....and nobody is ever going to be able to convince me otherwise. The play-calling and offensive design was so much similar and it's hard to believe that Nagy of all people suddenly just swallowed his pride and didn't still have his on hand the wheel. I don't buy it. I LOVED it when the news broke about Nagy giving up play-calling but the games themselves speak louder than words. We were still seeing the constant 3 level concepts being ran by the wrong players (i.e why is a 30 year old Graham being used 20 yards down field when you have Arob, Miller, and Mooney on the roster while they were running 3-12 yard routes. The QB is going to be under pressure or sacked by the time Graham finishes his route so what's the point?). We were also seeing the same unnecessary "trick plays" in the red zone, and we were still using stretch plays in short down situations from heavy sets and using WRs as primary outside blockers like that's a good idea. Your basically telling the defense what your running before you even snap the ball.

Nagy's play calling and use of personal has been abysmal and I've been saying it since day 1 and it hasn't changed.

However, Nagy has shown some strong points that you like to see in a good HC and that's why I do think he can be a good HC with more experience. I just don't think it's going to be here because his ego won't let him to admit to himself that he isn't fit to run an offense and he isn't going to be allowed enough time to reach his peak and rightfully so.

Remember, this was Nagy's first HC job and I think he put more on himself than he was ready to handle. Coaches are still learning too and I think people forget this. Remember, before Reid became the "guru" we see him now, he took alot of crap earlier on in due to his play-calling and game-time decisions in the playoffs and it took him a long time to figure out what worked and what didn't it.

I think Nagy would've been better off bringing in a good OC to run the offense while he learned the nuances of what it takes to be a HC first before diving head first into both positions.

Rapoport said last year that Lazor just had a bigger say in the gameplan but Nagy was still calling plays. I've posted that video multiple times, so yeah you're correct

• Like 1

8 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Rapoport said last year that Lazor just had a bigger say in the gameplan but Nagy was still calling plays. I've posted that video multiple times, so yeah you're correct

So this is what we are going to see going forward then, let the **** show continue as normal.

19 hours ago, soulman said:
23 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I think Nagy would've been better off bringing in a good OC to run the offense while he learned the nuances of what it takes to be a HC first before diving head first into both positions.

Isn't that what's being suggested?  It is by me at any rate. 

Yeah, and I agree, but I was talking more in hindsight when Nagy took the HC job in the first place. What I was saying is, I think he was putting too much on his plate at one time being the HC AND OC. Especially for it being a completely new gig for him altogether. He had never been a HC and only called plays for an offense for 4 games in KC. Both jobs were new to him. He should've let someone else take over on offense so he could focus more on being a HC.

Based on what we know now....that's not gonna happen because of his ego....even if it is the right choice.

19 hours ago, soulman said:

And wasn't Lazor the one wearing the headset and holding play call sheet last season after the bye week when Mitch started again.  If they were faking it that were faking it pretty hard.

I don't know who was wearing what headset but I didn't see any change in play-calling. The only difference I saw was that Mitch's mobility was better suited for Nagy's offense than Foles was. That's it. The play-calling never changed from what I saw. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

So this is what we are going to see going forward then, let the **** show continue as normal.

Even if Nagy comes out and says that he's giving up play-calling, I'm not believing it until I see it. His ego won't allow him to completely step away from the offense, hand over the reigns, and ultimately admit to himself that he was wrong. Especially when he knows his job is on the line.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

Yeah, and I agree, but I was talking more in hindsight when Nagy took the HC job in the first place. What I was saying is, I think he was putting too much on his plate at one time being the HC AND OC. Especially for it being a completely new gig for him altogether. He had never been a HC and only called plays for an offense for 4 games in KC. Both jobs were new to him. He should've let someone else take over on offense so he could focus more on being a HC.

Based on what we know now....that's not gonna happen because of his ego....even if it is the right choice.

I don't know who was wearing what headset but I didn't see any change in play-calling. The only difference I saw was that Mitch's mobility was better suited for Nagy's offense than Foles was. That's it. The play-calling never changed from what I saw. 

The best owners/managers I've ever worked with or for have all been guys who were willing to allow their subordinates to do their jobs with far less oversight and interference than Nagy seems willing to do.

Much like the QB situation, how many offensive assistants and OCs has he been through in just four season?  So I believe you're spot on.  When he should have been learning to be a HC and coaching his entire team instead he's been micro managing the offense instead and clearly some of staff don't see eye to eye with him on some issues.

Nagy's schemes seem far more "old school" to me than modern but he tries to dress up stuff with motion and or odd formations that don't work.  Instead of faking out the other guy he's needlessly complicating stuff for his own guys to execute and they can't.  Or he just exposes his QBs to can't win situations like one play where we had 5 man protection again 7 potential rushers with blitzes coming from both edges as well as the A gap.

You're not gonna block that so you better have a play call to defeat it and they didn't.  If you're not gonna call time out and get another play then your QB needs to have both the knowledge and the freedom to audible into something that could work.  Was Fields ever prepared for that or even have the freedom to make a change at the line pre-snap.

There's just so much that's wrong and it's so dysfunctional at least by appearance that I have no idea how Nagy is ever gonna straighten it out himself without listening to what his assistants and the players themselves are telling him but he never seems willing to do that.  Good coaches like good manager know how to adjust when things aren't going according to plan yet Nagy never seems to have a single clue about how to adjust during the week or during a game.

Edited by soulman
  • Like 1