Week 1 - Bears vs Rams

Sugashane

ywacgqswxqizyxq7iuib

Both teams feature DPOY winners and new QBs playing their first game with their teams. Rams have dropped sporadic prepubescent QB Jared Goff and picked up Matthew Stafford. Positive for Rams is that they have absolutely upgraded the QB position to win now, though Stafford is far closer to retirement than Goff. Negative is that the Rams have not had a QB who's voice did not break while calling plays. Sure they understood him in practice, but in a game situation will they feel like their grandfather is yelling at them? We'll see.

Bears have Dalton at QB, clearly a step up from Foles but a step down from an average starting QB (so status quo for Chicago). Positive is that Dalton's beard and hair match the Bears burnt orange, so he is as much as a mascot as a player for us. Bad news is a real QB is going to be watching from the sidelines in Fields. Positive for Fields, he gets to be safe from Aaron Donald for at least 2 quarters unless Donald decides to make a ginger snap.

Desai has his work cut out for him because he is going to be playing mental chess against McVay with his queen, a rook, and a bishop already off the board due to a lack of talent at CB and experience calling the plays.

Prediction - Rams 31-17

• Like 4

I'm expecting a LA 17-14 slugger. Stafford always has the possibility to go off, but this defense knows him. CB room is not good though... Who knows how it'll go.

LA's based off the run game so much, having Goldman back, Khalil healthy and LA not having a "viable" RB, they should be able to stifle most of the rushes.

Obviously Donald SHOULD wreak havoc, but Daniels handled him his rookie year. Floyd still a good defender. They have a good secondary.

Nagy will just drool after the game about a plan and a promise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

I'm expecting a LA 17-14 slugger. Stafford always has the possibility to go off, but this defense knows him. CB room is not good though... Who knows how it'll go.

LA's based off the run game so much, having Goldman back, Khalil healthy and LA not having a "viable" RB, they should be able to stifle most of the rushes.

Obviously Donald SHOULD wreak havoc, but Daniels handled him his rookie year. Floyd still a good defender. They have a good secondary.

Nagy will just drool after the game about a plan and a promise.

I'd argue that they know Stafford in DET's systems but McVay is better than any offensive mind he has worked with. They scored 17 and 24 against us with us having a better defense and them having a weaker QB imo. It would be nice to see it be a brawl though rather than the blowout I predicted.

• Like 2

I don't think this game is going to go very well, I think it is actually going to be pretty ugly. In Nagy's three seasons games that have had a long break before them (opening week, after bye, week after a Thursday game) he has a record of 2-7. Whereas going into short weeks (the week of a Thursday game) he has a record of 3-0. This to go along with the Rams are a good team and the Bears have proven anything but that.

If I had to guess on a score and I usually don't I'll go with 30ish to 10ish and less than 300 total yards of offense.

Rams 50+  

Bears 13 (TD+2FG... the majority of which occurs in garbage time)

I've seen nothing to suggest the OL as it's currently constructed will hold up against Aaron Donald, and they are going to torch us over the top repeatedly because we only have a single corner. Dalton isn't mobile enough to survive the OL, and the WR aren't big/physical enough to live off the short game.

We will, however, shut down their running game, which is part of the reason they end up still throwing the ball and putting up the first of what will be multiple 50 burgers against our defense this year.

The media *poopstorm about how we should have started Fields will be in full effect. Ditto Nagy's playcalling, and ditto the lack of addressment regarding Mustipher and Corner beyond Johnson..... Also the sky will be falling....and “Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!”

The good news is this team under Nagy only sucks in prime time, and we aren't even remotely as bad of a team as the first game will make us look to be, and this game will be one massive step forward towards getting Lazor back in charge of playcalling, OL changes, and Fields starting.

I think this game will be much closer than some think...Rams are no doubts the favourites but I think overall this Rams team is the weakest it'a been in the last few seasons...now the reason for that is they have given up free agents in order to afford Stafford and an upgrade at QB might be enough alone but there is no doubt in my mind they have some questions marks too especially outside of their biggest names...their interior OL is far from great and given our DL that is a big win for us IMO...on defence they have Donald who is unbelievable...but then some talented but unproven youngsters and not the depth they once had...LBs is Floyd and against a bunch of unproven guys...Ramsey is still elite & Rapp is a real up and comer but again who else is a real stand out? Lots of talent no doubt but again not many proven playmakers...their #2 CB spot might be as big a question mark as ours...this isn't the Rams with Suh, Fowler, Joyner & Peters...

Still a really talented team no doubt but unbeatable? Absolutely not.

• Like 1

Assuming the Bears sell out on the OL to try to contain Donald and that Robinson/Ramsey plays out to a relative a wash, it seems this would be a great game to have a multi-faceted playmaker under center who can make things happen off schedule. 

Sigh.

My groaning aside though, I am curious to see if they work some sort of Fields Package in. It would be criminal to not try to get him on the field at some point.

To me the key to whether we can keep this thing close is going to come down to whether we can stay on schedule on offense. I think the Rams offense can be slowed down even with Stafford, who despite all the hype this off-season has never really been a guy to elevate his team. I want to see our new corners perform in a game where we’re not playing bland, vanilla, completely off man coverage before I write them off. I have some optimism for what our D will be under Desai… but not a ton of it for our offense until we make the inevitable QB change.

Guessing this game ends up something like 20-10 Rams. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Sigh.

Agreed

My groaning aside though, I am curious to see if they work some sort of Fields Package in. It would be criminal to not try to get him on the field at some point.

Hoping they don't throw Fields in for some random play.  I feel like that would be a distraction to the offense, break up the rhythm and just get fans cranky when he runs for 4yds with a stuff.  

I'm going to say Bears win, 21 17, with a defensive score. 

• Like 1

Honestly, this is just a Loss for the Bears...Rams have a home game in a new stadium in prime time, we are throwing Andy Dalton out there, etc. etc. haha

I legit kind of consider this a preseason game for us, haha....like we basically will be evaluating the starting lineups this game against a veteran team trying to win a super bowl.

I dont expect a blowout but I dont expect a win

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Hoping they don't throw Fields in for some random play.  I feel like that would be a distraction to the offense, break up the rhythm and just get fans cranky when he runs for 4yds with a stuff.  

I'm going to say Bears win, 21 17, with a defensive score. 

I have very little expectation for any kind of offensive rhythm with Dalton under center. Not using him in some capacity would frankly be wasteful. He’s a playmaker. We need more of that on the field.

In what way would putting Fields in, even if briefly, be a distraction to the offense? I think we could get the opposite impact personally - I think it might give guys a boost, especially if the offense under Dalton is sputtering. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think this game will be much closer than some think...Rams are no doubts the favourites but I think overall this Rams team is the weakest it'a been in the last few seasons...now the reason for that is they have given up free agents in order to afford Stafford and an upgrade at QB might be enough alone but there is no doubt in my mind they have some questions marks too especially outside of their biggest names...their interior OL is far from great and given our DL that is a big win for us IMO...on defence they have Donald who is unbelievable...but then some talented but unproven youngsters and not the depth they once had...LBs is Floyd and against a bunch of unproven guys...Ramsey is still elite & Rapp is a real up and comer but again who else is a real stand out? Lots of talent no doubt but again not many proven playmakers...their #2 CB spot might be as big a question mark as ours...this isn't the Rams with Suh, Fowler, Joyner & Peters...

Still a really talented team no doubt but unbeatable? Absolutely not.

Darious Williams would be the Bears #1 corner. He's good

I'm not one for making predictions but in this case I will predict yet another post game presser by Nagy full or promises to fix whatever went wrong AFTER he has a chance to review the tapes and consider even more adjustments that probably won't work either.

Matt.....buddy.....the problem is staring you straight in the face.....unless you're not currently standing in front of a mirror that is.

23 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'd argue that they know Stafford in DET's systems but McVay is better than any offensive mind he has worked with. They scored 17 and 24 against us with us having a better defense and them having a weaker QB imo. It would be nice to see it be a brawl though rather than the blowout I predicted.

I'd tend to agree, but even with Calvin Johnson they rarely stomped the Bears with worse teams.

Is it possible? Yes, but I'd think that a new team, new stadium, same Bears, Stafford may have an average game.

Same with Mcvay, he's never quite figured out the Bears and vice versa for Nagy.