Week 1 - Bears vs Rams

Sugashane

1 hour ago, soulman said:

Assuming little or nothing has changed I would agree but there are a few in the media that believe otherwise so I'm willing to wait it out to see whether or not Nagy can finally put an offense on the field that can routinely score 24 points or more per game.  I consider that a minimum as far as showing the required amount of progress GMcC and Teddy Bears have called for.

With 15 minute quarters and every rule change of last 20 years favoring offense it should be fairly easy to score 24+ a game.

Scoring less than that on the regular is frankly embarrassing for any NFL team.

• Like 3

He's always been a key as a run stopper.  He's one of a few NFL NT who can take on a double team to protect his ILB and still disengage quickly enough to make a tackle or assist in one.  We'd be hurting again this season without him trust me.

Fair and I do think he's a top tier NT, just not a huge fan of paying those guys.

25 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

He's super important to the run D. I don't regret paying him, but I do hope Tonga takes this opportunity and runs with it

That's how it appears. He seems to have packed it in

I also have some hope in Tonga, not much because 7th round pick, but he seems hungry.

I agree on the packing it in.

7 hours ago, dll2000 said:

With 15 minute quarters and every rule change of last 20 years favoring offense it should be fairly easy to score 24+ a game.

Scoring less than that on the regular is frankly embarrassing for any NFL team.

And therefore as fans we are being embarrassed by an embarrassing NFL offense.

8 hours ago, The_Romen said:

Fair and I do think he's a top tier NT, just not a huge fan of paying those guys.

I also have some hope in Tonga, not much because 7th round pick, but he seems hungry.

I agree on the packing it in.

I'm kind of in the same boat. He may be one of the better passrushing NTs, but that is a shallow pool of that talent. If you look at him as a passrusher against all DTs and he is below average. He is good at taking double teams and doesnt have to be a two down player, thats great. But he isn't much of a threat as a passrusher, so should he be paid like he is? I think run stuffers are easier to find, so the value drops. Monsters like Hicks, they are the ones that should be making the biggest money year in and year out (among non-EDGE rushing DL).

I'm always rooting for the young guys. Their success is the Bears success, and if too many do well to pay them all then we get comp picks. Tonga has a grittiness to him I like. He reminds me of Paea - a squatty brute. Hopefully he fits and thrives here. 

I havent watched Goldman but hope he isn't the discount version of Haynesworth. 

And therefore as fans we are being embarrassed by an embarrassing NFL offense.

You laugh now... but you'll... be sad... later? 

Damn it.                  

• Like 2

IMHO anyone who doesn't believe Goldman is a key to this defense now and in the past is fooling themselves.

I'm hoping he plays and that he plays well because our defense is MUCH better with him than without him.

I like him, but just don't believe he's a true 3 down player, at least not anymore. I don't think a year off has helped him, but we will see.

I always hope the Bears go 16-0 with massive stats, but I don't think he's the difference between a top 5 and top 16 defense. You could be totally right, I'm not saying you're wrong. Just my prediction ig.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Romen said:

I like him, but just don't believe he's a true 3 down player, at least not anymore. I don't think a year off has helped him, but we will see.

I always hope the Bears go 16-0 with massive stats, but I don't think he's the difference between a top 5 and top 16 defense. You could be totally right, I'm not saying you're wrong. Just my prediction ig.

Few true NT are 3 down players yet Goldman does have 12.5 career sacks and 20 hits to his credit while playing a limited number snaps on passing downs.  He also missed 10 games during his sophomore season which began as one of his best.  He's only 27 years old and in his prime as an athlete so I hope he hasn't lost his desire to play.  We do have some depth but neither of them can play like Goldman does.  He's a beast.

If you look at where we ranked on run defense in years where Eddie has played vs when he has not you can see what he means to the defense as a whole.  Most NT are not playmakers.  There job is to eat up blockers and allow others to make tackles yet he's average 30 tackles a year in addition to his sacks, hits, and pressures.  Together he and Hicks often collapse the pocket which also helps the secondary in pass defense.

There are a whole lot of NFL teams who would snap him up in a NY minute if we didn't want him.

• Like 2

Rams fans are excited about this team.   I can see a lot of things to be excited about.   Never know how things play out though.  

Rams are interesting experiment in that they have decided to go against CW and build much of their team outside the draft.    That is supposed to be too expensive to even attempt, but they are doing it.       

I am surprised there is not more geographic loyalty and so many fans are willing to follow the team to LA to St. Louis and back.

• Like 2

Rams podcaster on Bears (paraphrasing as best i can as it is audio podcast and I can’t cut and paste an exact quote):

I would be worried about Fields.  Let’s be honest.  Dalton is not beating the Rams.  And what is with idea of protecting Fields with a ‘package’.  Wouldn’t that put him in more danger? 

Normally we would be like, oh man, bulletin board material!   But instead we are like.  Yeah. You are right.  Good points.  

This is really sad.

I cannot believe Nagy/Pace chose this route.   They should have treated Fields like top 2 picks are being treated.  This is our guy.   We roll with him through thick and thin.  

Nobody would care if we won or lost.  Only how Fields learned the game each week and developed.

We are developing him through scout team reps?  

I just watched rookie back up QB for TB talking to camera (kid from FL forgetting his name) said this (paraphrasing):

You get better at things through reps.  That is ideal way.  Reality is that is just not an option for many players at this level so I have to get better through mental reps as best I can.

For a guy backing up Brady he just isn’t going to get the reps of course.  He wants them, but he accepts his reality.   Fields should be getting the reps.   We are artificially inhibiting him by choice and policy.   

I will say it again.  Fields can and probably still will end of very good as many other QBs who didn’t immediately start ended up very good.   Just as many have ended up good that started right away.

You can’t use that as definitive evidence for either method since there are solid examples on both sides.  

I just know common sense tells me if I want to get better at something I want reps at it.    Reps with instruction.  

I don’t agree with the mostly sit and watch method at all. 

• Like 2

FOr those in the start Fields right away category just remember that Deshaun Watson also started his rookie season as the #2 behind an even worse QB than Dalton and it didn't take long for him to see game action and to become the starter (1 half LOL).

So let's just chill. Fields will be in at some point in the near future unless Dalton plays extremely well, so it's a win win either way in my eyes.

• Like 1

I think Bears take the L in this one unfortunately.  We just don't match up well with the Rams and I worry about our secondary being exploited by Kupp/Woods.

I also don't see how Dalton puts up enough points on that feisty Rams D.

I don't think it'll be a blowout or anything but Rams shouldn;t have much trouble.

LA - 24

CHI - 13

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

FOr those in the start Fields right away category just remember that Deshaun Watson also started his rookie season as the #2 behind an even worse QB than Dalton and it didn't take long for him to see game action and to become the starter (1 half LOL).

So let's just chill. Fields will be in at some point in the near future unless Dalton plays extremely well, so it's a win win either way in my eyes.

Oh Fields will play this season.  I have little doubt of that.  Despite the 'plan'.    

I am upset over practice time being divided in Dalton's favor to this point and until that time.  I think it is wrong move and I disagree with it.  

When I say I am upset I am not here kicking things or truly fuming.    It's just entertainment.   I am just voicing my opinion on the matter at hand and arguing my points.   

Watson probably also wished he got to work with 1's all through camp and preseason that year.  He succeeded in spite of that, not because of it, is my point.

I would argue that Watson didn't have success in 2017 because he watched Tom Savage take snaps and call plays in training camp and learned to be a pro.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I don’t have any opinion on Goldman of the present.  He hasn’t played.

He has been a very good player in past at his best.  Especially in 2018.   

All I am saying is there seems to be a lot of red flags surrounding him at moment.

This AM what I'm seeing is a report of knee and ankle injury.  Nothing more detailed than that.

Since we've added two DL to the practice squad I can only assume they're concerned he may miss some time.