Week 1 - Bears vs Rams

Sugashane

23 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Hoping they don't throw Fields in for some random play.  I feel like that would be a distraction to the offense, break up the rhythm and just get fans cranky when he runs for 4yds with a stuff.  

I'm going to say Bears win, 21 17, with a defensive score. 

I guarantee if Fields comes in game as part of a package he sees an all out blitz followed by a fake all out blitz with everybody dropping and then an all out blitz again.  

Injury risk would be high if Nagy calls zone read which I predict he will do.  

• Like 1

I think what a lot of y'all are saying is what I think should happen.

I know the Bears had some injuries, but the last two years I think McVay has figured that defense out. Goff held us back a bit in both games. So Stafford in the picture, we should win this game going away.

But - McVay has not played starters in preseason for two years when the team we played did - 2018 and 2019.

We played the Raiders and Panthers respectively. Both were road games - but both ended up being bad teams, and both hung around for way too long, in part due to what looked like rust from nobody for the Rams playing in preseason.

I think the Bears are probably going to be pretty bad with Dalton.

Having said that, I can see the Rams offense coming in out of sync and if the Bears can win the line of scrimmage, it would be a close game

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

I know the Bears had some injuries, but the last two years I think McVay has figured that defense out. Goff held us back a bit in both games. So Stafford in the picture, we should win this game going away.

True, but during the last two seasons the defense was not the same as in 2018 because it was Chuck Pagano as DC and not Vic Fangio.

Injuries may have played their part as well but the new DC Sean Desai coached under Fangio and models his schemes more along the same lines.

How much difference that will make if the Bears show up with no cohesive offense is hard to say and remember the Bears have faced Stafford for years and know quite well what he's capable of.  He's a bit of a gunslinger with a cannon for an arm but he can be rattled into making mistakes as well when he's under pressure.  That said he's still far more dangerous than Goff so the Bears have to limit his opportunities to beat them.

The Bears defense is typically good enough to keep the game close ONLY if the Bears offense can produce.  That's the bigger question mark.

37 minutes ago, soulman said:

True, but during the last two seasons the defense was not the same as in 2018 because it was Chuck Pagano as DC and not Vic Fangio.

Injuries may have played their part as well but the new DC Sean Desai coached under Fangio and models his schemes more along the same lines.

How much difference that will make if the Bears show up with no cohesive offense is hard to say and remember the Bears have faced Stafford for years and know quite well what he's capable of.  He's a bit of a gunslinger with a cannon for an arm but he can be rattled into making mistakes as well when he's under pressure.  That said he's still far more dangerous than Goff so the Bears have to limit his opportunities to beat them.

The Bears defense is typically good enough to keep the game close ONLY if the Bears offense can produce.  That's the bigger question mark.

You also have to remember that McVay had Staley in the building all last season, so he's now intimately familiar with that scheme

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

You also have to remember that McVay had Staley in the building all last season, so he's now intimately familiar with that scheme

I know but it's far less the Bears defense that's worrying anyone here.  It's the offense.

IF the offense can sustain drives and score LA doesn't score 31 points.  If the offense can't do that and the defense is on the field too long giving Stafford more opportunities to mount drives and score points.  So it could be a fairly tight game or it could be a complete disaster but in any event it not likely to be a "shoot out" since I don't believe either offense can bury the other's defense.

Plus, Staley isn't there now so whatever help he may have been in the past is now gone and while Desai is a disciple of Fangio it's still his own interpretation and ways of using similar schemes and disguised coverage to defend.  How well his secondary will hold up I can't say but it's very likely it will depend on how well the front seven can do their jobs.  Give most any QB all day long to throw and he'll beat you.

Bears are 7.5 point dogs.

Only Cowboys are giving up more against defending champs at 8.

Nobody expects Bears to win this game.

I give them a shot only because week 1 games can be weird.

Ifedi and Peters have to have gotten worlds better in 2 weeks for Bears to stand a chance.

Corners also have to look a lot better than they did in preseason games.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bears are 7.5 point dogs.

Only Cowboys are giving up more against defending champs at 8.

Nobody expects Bears to win this game.

I give them a shot only because week 1 games can be weird.

Ifedi and Peters have to have gotten worlds better in 2 weeks for Bears to stand a chance.

Corners also have to look a lot better than they did in preseason games.  

Not asking for much there are ya'?   Just major improvement from not one but two OTs and both CBs.  Ha ha.

As tempting as it may be I would still not take the Bears and the points until I see this offense whole and on the field.

I'd add Mustipher to the list of people who need to be dramatically better.... He was putrid in the preaseaon, constantly getting blown back off the ball.... Not sure where all that functional strength + weight that was hyped up about him in the offseason from went, but his anchor was weak sauce.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Epyon said:

I'd add Mustipher to the list of people who need to be dramatically better.... He was putrid in the preaseaon, constantly getting blown back off the ball.... Not sure where all that functional strength + weight that was hyped up about him in the offseason from went, but his anchor was weak sauce.

Since he's been working with Olin Kruetz I think Olin needs to work with him on his technique.  Kruetz wasn't even close to 300lbs when he played so if Mustipher is actually around 320lbs like he claims then DT/NT of a similar size shouldn't be blowing him up.

What’s up Bears fans! Happy week 1!! We don’t have a discussion for the game up yet so if y’all don’t mind I’m joining yours lol 

I think most of you, if not all of you are predicting a Rams win. While anything can happen on any Sunday, here is how I see it playing out. 

This off-season I’d say the biggest misconception is how much talent LA lost, especially on defense. There aren’t many Rams fans that would agree though. While they lost John Johnson, Brockers, Hill, and one or two backups, they had a plan in place over a year ago to replace them. Jordan Fuller was drafted 6th round last year at safety and balled out. He is a team captain wearing the green dot in year two. Burgess, also a draft pick last year was playing great until he broke his leg. Rapp is also still there but will not have a bigger role than these two guys. A’Shawn Robinson and a few picks from this draft will replace brockers and will be just fine. As for the loss of Hill, we will see how the new slot corner (long or Rochelle) will do. The weakest position on Defense will be middle backer once again. I saw someone post about Darius Williams.. he was one of the best corners last season.. an absolute stud and it could be his last year in LA as we have a feeling he will be getting a big contract in FA. 

I talk mostly defense here because in my opinion, it will be what wins LA the game. As a rams fan I’m nervous as can be about the offense. It’ll all come down to the Oline. It was barely touched over the off-season and it’s either going to be fine or hinder the Rams all year. IMO there’s no better test for the Oline  to start the season than the bears front. 

In both scenarios im taking the Rams. Both of those scenarios are: 

1. Rams offense can’t get much done and the hype was.. over hyped. Rams win 20-10

2. Rams offense and Stafford show they made the right decisions and come out firing. Rams win 34-10

Anything can happen, especially week 1 but no matter what I expect the Rams D to hold it down regardless if the the offense comes out hot or not. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, soulman said:

Not asking for much there are ya'?   Just major improvement from not one but two OTs and both CBs.  Ha ha.

As tempting as it may be I would still not take the Bears and the points until I see this offense whole and on the field.

Rams are a scary team, but not unbeatable.  

I think people are underrating the Browns though because they are Browns.  

They have a lot of talent on that team. Week 3 could be a bloodbath if Bears don’t improve fast.  

12 hours ago, Epyon said:

Hroniss Grasu 2.0 if he doesn't lock it down.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDY10 said:

What’s up Bears fans! Happy week 1!! We don’t have a discussion for the game up yet so if y’all don’t mind I’m joining yours lol 

I think most of you, if not all of you are predicting a Rams win. While anything can happen on any Sunday, here is how I see it playing out. 

This off-season I’d say the biggest misconception is how much talent LA lost, especially on defense. There aren’t many Rams fans that would agree though. While they lost John Johnson, Brockers, Hill, and one or two backups, they had a plan in place over a year ago to replace them. Jordan Fuller was drafted 6th round last year at safety and balled out. He is a team captain wearing the green dot in year two. Burgess, also a draft pick last year was playing great until he broke his leg. Rapp is also still there but will not have a bigger role than these two guys. A’Shawn Robinson and a few picks from this draft will replace brockers and will be just fine. As for the loss of Hill, we will see how the new slot corner (long or Rochelle) will do. The weakest position on Defense will be middle backer once again. I saw someone post about Darius Williams.. he was one of the best corners last season.. an absolute stud and it could be his last year in LA as we have a feeling he will be getting a big contract in FA. 

I talk mostly defense here because in my opinion, it will be what wins LA the game. As a rams fan I’m nervous as can be about the offense. It’ll all come down to the Oline. It was barely touched over the off-season and it’s either going to be fine or hinder the Rams all year. IMO there’s no better test for the Oline  to start the season than the bears front. 

In both scenarios im taking the Rams. Both of those scenarios are: 

1. Rams offense can’t get much done and the hype was.. over hyped. Rams win 20-10

2. Rams offense and Stafford show they made the right decisions and come out firing. Rams win 34-10

Anything can happen, especially week 1 but no matter what I expect the Rams D to hold it down regardless if the the offense comes out hot or not. 

I honestly think the Bears should do well vs the run game, but Stafford is a good vet and has a deep WR corps to play with. I think he literally just picks on the DBs and avoids throwing near Jackson and puts together a solid game. 

Bears may make some splash plays but the OL is a major concern for me. I'm pretty down on the crew as a whole since it seems every vet regressed here over the last 3 years. There's enough new blood (counting Ifedi since he's only in his 2nd year here) that they may overturn that. But if the Bears can't have a solid run game they're not winning much. No more winning 17-14 with this defense. 

• Like 1