Week 1 - Bears vs Rams

Sugashane

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I really wish Bars could have challenged him for the spot. I think Bars has the tools to be there, he just isn't what I'd wasn't at OT for more than a stretch. 

Bars should be challenging for all spots on the line. Not one person on the line has earned their spot (MAYBE Whitehair).

There's been plenty of FA that could've come in and contributed at multiple spots, they just chose to sign and keep high priced **** players.

They have a plan and conviction though, so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Bars should be challenging for all spots on the line. Not one person on the line has earned their spot (MAYBE Whitehair).

There's been plenty of FA that could've come in and contributed at multiple spots, they just chose to sign and keep high priced **** players.

They have a plan and conviction though, so.

No argument here. I'm of the opinion that only a few should enter without competition. I'm a bit bullheaded that an OT should be drafted within thebforst 4 rounds every year too. Groom OL like a farm program and your offense will always be at least average. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I honestly think the Bears should do well vs the run game, but Stafford is a good vet and has a deep WR corps to play with. I think he literally just picks on the DBs and avoids throwing near Jackson and puts together a solid game. 

Bears may make some splash plays but the OL is a major concern for me. I'm pretty down on the crew as a whole since it seems every vet regressed here over the last 3 years. There's enough new blood (counting Ifedi since he's only in his 2nd year here) that they may overturn that. But if the Bears can't have a solid run game they're not winning much. No more winning 17-14 with this defense. 

So it seems both teams are waiting to see how the offensive lines will hold up. I’ll be honest, I have no idea what the Rams Run game will bring this year. Henderson did well last season and I’m not sure what role Sony Michel will have right now. I definitely expect the Bears defense to make some plays but if the Rams Oline comes out and has success in the run game, I think it’ll be a very long day for the bears. However, like you said, they’ll probably be okay and force Stafford to throw. If that’s the case then we’ll see what happens. The Rams are very deep at WR and imo have a top 5 receiver unit. It’ll still come down to the Oline protecting Stafford. 

I definitely expect some splash plays by the bears. The Rams will have a great defense again but it’s somewhat of a new system and DC.. I expect 3-4 weeks for them to really start gelling together. Just likes for you guys, the rams need to make sure the bears run game is taken out. No disrespect intended because I actually like Dalton, but I’d be more than happy to have him (and most QBs) have to throw 40+ times. 

Side note, I’m curious to see where Jalen Ramsey will play. I know they’ll trust Williams to man up on Robinson if needed but I want to see if Jalen plays more against Robinson or Mooney after all the craze about what happened last year on the one route that fell incomplete from the over throw. 

No matter what happens, I just hope everyone comes out healthy on both teams. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I really wish Bars could have challenged him for the spot. I think Bars has the tools to be there, he just isn't what I'd wasn't at OT for more than a stretch. 

I think where Mustipher helped the O line was by him playing center it moved Whitehair from center to G where he is way, way better.

Whole line got better as a result and it showed almost immediately.  But it wasn't because Mustipher was blocking great.  It was just he wasn't much worse than Whitehair at center and Whitehair really improved one guard spot so it was a nice trade off.  

I think his physical limitations are an issue though especially as Daniels also seems to be more finesse than power.   

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I think where Mustipher helped the O line was by him playing center it moved Whitehair from center to G where he is way, way better.

Whole line got better as a result and it showed almost immediately.  But it wasn't because Mustipher was blocking great.  It was just he wasn't much worse than Whitehair at center and Whitehair really improved one guard spot so it was a nice trade off.  

I think his physical limitations are an issue though especially as Daniels also seems to be more finesse than power.   

Agreed. I wasn't overly impressed with him but for the fact he was an UFA and even able to provide depth he is a steal for Pace. 

He still isn't up to par to start though which is why him being entrenched baffles me. It didn't have to be the top priority but there was no one that they could put in to battle him? No one wanted the chance to fight for a starting spot and audition for  bigger deal (here or elsewhere)? I just don't see it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

So it seems both teams are waiting to see how the offensive lines will hold up. I’ll be honest, I have no idea what the Rams Run game will bring this year. Henderson did well last season and I’m not sure what role Sony Michel will have right now. I definitely expect the Bears defense to make some plays but if the Rams Oline comes out and has success in the run game, I think it’ll be a very long day for the bears. However, like you said, they’ll probably be okay and force Stafford to throw. If that’s the case then we’ll see what happens. The Rams are very deep at WR and imo have a top 5 receiver unit. It’ll still come down to the Oline protecting Stafford. 

I definitely expect some splash plays by the bears. The Rams will have a great defense again but it’s somewhat of a new system and DC.. I expect 3-4 weeks for them to really start gelling together. Just likes for you guys, the rams need to make sure the bears run game is taken out. No disrespect intended because I actually like Dalton, but I’d be more than happy to have him (and most QBs) have to throw 40+ times. 

Side note, I’m curious to see where Jalen Ramsey will play. I know they’ll trust Williams to man up on Robinson if needed but I want to see if Jalen plays more against Robinson or Mooney after all the craze about what happened last year on the one route that fell incomplete from the over throw. 

No matter what happens, I just hope everyone comes out healthy on both teams. 

That's a big hang up with me - I see the Rams as having a top 5 WR corps and the Bears as having a bottom 5 CB corps. Doesn't mean I expect 40+ yarders all night but Stafford and Co should be able to nickel and dime them with ease. Goff was fairly easy to bait into a few bad throws and I don't believe Stafford replicates that issue nearly as much. 

Desai has his work cut out for him. Losing Fuller hurts, he is going into the season borderline blindwith some of the guys. Having to follow up Fangio and Pagano won't be easy but he's going to have to be creative. We aren't going to go Cover 2 and just outperform the guys across from us. We don't have that kind of personnel. 

I hope Ramsey and ARob are head to head all night. I love those kind of match ups. 

• Like 1

My buddy who loves to bet college football asked about making a bet on the Bears game.  He wanted to know if he should take the Bears and 7.5 points.  I said hell no.  I have no idea what the offense is capable of an truth be told I don't believe Nagy has either.  I'm already preparing myself for post game excuses.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soulman said:

My buddy who loves to bet college football asked about making a bet on the Bears game.  He wanted to know if he should take the Bears and 7.5 points.  I said hell no.  I have no idea what the offense is capable of an truth be told I don't believe Nagy has either.  I'm already preparing myself for post game excuses.

We do know what this offense is. It's been the same my entire life, 3 and out with the occasional first down.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Seems like all the news about Goldman has been bad since his opt out.

Maybe he just doesn't want to play football anymore, but still wants to get paid.  

I was against paying him. I like him and think he's a solid contributor, but he doesn't make the defense go.

Since the opt out, he's been very strange and secluded. Hope he's okay.

57 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

We do know what this offense is. It's been the same my entire life, 3 and out with the occasional first down.

Assuming little or nothing has changed I would agree but there are a few in the media that believe otherwise so I'm willing to wait it out to see whether or not Nagy can finally put an offense on the field that can routinely score 24 points or more per game.  I consider that a minimum as far as showing the required amount of progress GMcC and Teddy Bears have called for.

31 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

I was against paying him. I like him and think he's a solid contributor, but he doesn't make the defense go.

He's always been a key as a run stopper.  He's one of a few NFL NT who can take on a double team to protect his ILB and still disengage quickly enough to make a tackle or assist in one.  We'd be hurting again this season without him trust me.

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

He's super important to the run D. I don't regret paying him, but I do hope Tonga takes this opportunity and runs with it

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Seems like all the news about Goldman has been bad since his opt out.

Maybe he just doesn't want to play football anymore, but still wants to get paid.  

That's how it appears. He seems to have packed it in

• Like 1