Week 2: Jaguars v Broncos - Here we go again huh?

.Buzz

42 minutes ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

Wow, Urban Meyer RESORTS to FORCING the Broncos to travel to Jacksonville EARLY in order to gain an UNFAIR advantage. I would say he needs to QUIT but he's way ahead of us IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN

Lol...like, why doesn’t he allow the Broncos to use the team facilities...they are the guests after all.  🤪

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 7:23 AM, .Buzz said:

Just wild to think about last game. Tyrod finished with what, 290 yards? 160-180 of it came on 3 random YOLO throws. We held their running backs to under 4 yards per carry (Ingram on 26 carries came in at like 3.1). We *apparently* came in 4th in all of the NFL in pressures week 1.

It’s just so frustrating. 

This is the problem with an inconsistent, and probably not actually very good pass rush.  Any time you have those sort of lapses where the guy ends up with time to uncork one downfield...it's just too hard for the secondary to hold up.  So you're going to get those backbreaking "yolo" plays.

I think any ranking that has us "4th in pressures" last week, must be leaning very heavily on the Texans OLine not being very good.  Flattering those numbers for us.  Plus guys not having a clue how to close the deal when they do get some pressure.  But even then...it certainly didn't look very convincing as a consistent, reliable pass rush.  And this league just isn't cut out for leaning on your secondary that heavily when the pass rush can't get it done.

On 9/17/2021 at 8:12 AM, pwny said:

I think people would be more willing to write off those deep shots as a potential anomaly if we didn’t also get killed by deep shots and guys playing the ball in the air poorly in the preseason too. 

Absolutely.  It's not really a "fluke" if it keeps happening.  And for reasons that are pretty clearly identifiable.

Though this week, i'm less worried about the handful of big downfield YOLO plays, and more about the opposite end of the spectrum.  Though if ever there were a team to make Bridgewater look like a downfield passing stud...i guess it'd probably be this one.

I'm more worried this week though, about how able our guys in coverage are going to be, to jump in and break up passes aggressively.  Because if they can't, Teddy Two Gloves is going to dink and dunk us absolutely to death.  Can't just let them make those easy pitch-and-catch automatic 3-5 yard receptions and pad a yard or two on top before they're brought down.  Have to get in there and disrupt things, mess up their rhythm and put them behind schedule on down and distance.  Force Teddy to have to push the ball a little ways.  I'm just not altogether confident in our defensive personnel managing to do that.  Whether it's YOLO deep shots, or quick dink and dunk stuff...they just haven't looked particularly adept at making those key plays on the ball in the air.

If they can't do that, Teddy's statline tomorrow gonna read like:  "45/50, 250 yards, 8 TDs".

On 9/17/2021 at 8:14 AM, pwny said:

Anyway, this should be the best home field advantage the team has all year. It’s supposed to be quite hot and extremely humid, maybe some rain. The Broncos are making their second straight east coast trip, it’s at 1pm. If we can’t convert this to a win, it’s assuredly going to be a long, long season.

Hopefully all Urban's nagging the players to "stay hydrated" pays off here.  😎

Really though...if they can't at least look like they belong, and put up a solid fight in this game, i think there's a strong chance this season goes into a completely unrecoverable tailspin.

Between the home field advantage and all the boosts that should give them, including the weather...and how precarious this franchise is, especially with a "college transplant" coach needing to prove that they actually learned from last week's disorganized and underprepared disaster.  They really need this game to look competitive.  It's not a "must win"...but it's a "must show up".  A sure signpost of where this team is likely headed for the rest of the season.

On 9/17/2021 at 7:18 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Horrible is a stretch, if anything he is fine which means we should be in the game until the end. We shouldn't get blown out unless they just murder us on the ground(which is definitely possible)

Considering how poorly we played with drops and penalties, we definitely CAN win but I dont expect it. 

All of the sloppy stuff that cost us vs Houston definitely gives this team some "headroom" to improve, and potentially win.  But i still don't believe for a second, that Houston are actually a good team, like we made them look.  Which means, they can clean up all of the sloppy and undisciplined mistakes (and hopefully they do)...but it's still going to be a further uphill battle against teams like the Broncos that are a fair bit better and more talented than the Texans.

Though if the Broncos are missing two top-flight talents like Jeudy and Chubb, that at least helps close the talent gap a little bit.  They've still got plenty though.

19 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Though this week, i'm less worried about the handful of big downfield YOLO plays, and more about the opposite end of the spectrum. 

Yeah.

also Derrick Klassen did a review of Teddy yesterday. And it’s more of same *throw behind the market* Teddy. Hopefully we know how to tackle this game.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Gonna be on the right side mostly I imagine. Von legitimately looked like his old self last week.

Zero chance Taylor holds up.

No chance. Key to success is pounding the rock. Trevor shouldn’t throw more than 30 passes today (unless we are getting blown out).

I also think we see Trevor’s legs be a factor today.

Edited by KhanYouDigIt
  • Like 2