If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

This is where I’m leaning. 

Nathaniel Hackett would be my 2nd choice. 

That super bowl winning team he had in Philly is how I wish the Vikes could play. Super scrappy and resilient. I think he could work well with Cousins at least for a year or two. Seems there was a lot of dysfunction in that front office, didn’t he prefer Foles over Wentz or am I imagining that? Seems shortsighted to get rid of a super bowl winning coach so quickly in their tenure. 

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

That super bowl winning team he had in Philly is how I wish the Vikes could play. Super scrappy and resilient. I think he could work well with Cousins at least for a year or two. Seems there was a lot of dysfunction in that front office, didn’t he prefer Foles over Wentz or am I imagining that? Seems shortsighted to get rid of a super bowl winning coach so quickly in their tenure. 

I don’t remember ever reading/hearing about him preferring Foles over Wentz, but he ended up being the one out the door after the owner got involved, and started putting all of his faith in the analytics department. 

Here’s the article, if you have a subscription to The Athletic;

https://theathletic.com/2506187/2021/04/12/paranoia-mismanagement-and-office-politics-inside-the-eagles-downfall-under-jeffrey-lurie-howie-roseman/?source=user_shared_article

Edited by SemperFeist

11 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

We are in rebuild mode. I don't trust Spielman to do that.

Turnover the full lot.

Noooooo!  If ownership did that, who would they find who could accumulate 10+ draft picks of lesser value each than the original assigned picks, each year?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Purplexing said:

Noooooo!  If ownership did that, who would they find who could accumulate 10+ draft picks of lesser value each than the original assigned picks, each year?

Not sure what we would do without 5-7 6/7th round picks.

While there's zero chance that Zimmer gets fired this week, he's clearly a dead man walking as far as coaching this team next year.  It's unfortunate, because I do like him, but his time is over.  While there are certain things in my real life that have affected my mood to a certain degree, I can't recall a year in the recent past where I've been more apathetic about this team than I have been this year.  Even going into the year, I wasn't that optimistic, because this organization just seems like it's spun its wheels in the mud since 2017, and their performance hasn't changed it...in fact, they might have even made it worse.  

Would firing him in-season make me more optimistic for the future?  No, probably not.  The best plan is probably just to let the string play out and then wait for Black Monday and move on from both him and Spielman and start anew.     

Edited by swede700

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

While there's zero chance that Zimmer gets fired this week, he's clearly a dead man walking as far as coaching this team next year.  It's unfortunate, because I do like him, but his time is over.  While there are certain things in my real life that have affected my mood to a certain degree, I can't recall a year in the recent past where I've been more apathetic about this team than I have been this year.  Even going into the year, I wasn't that optimistic, because this organization just seems like it's spun its wheels in the mud since 2017, and their performance hasn't changed it...in fact, they might have even made it worse.  

Would firing him in-season make me more optimistic for the future?  No, probably not.  The best plan is probably just to let the string play out and then wait for Black Monday and move on from both him and Spielman and start anew.     

Yeah I’ve had a bit of a couldn’t care less attitude about the NFL in general the last couple of years. But still have followed the Vikings closely. But as you said, there’s just something about this team that is very uninspiring. I don’t know if that’s driven by having Zimmer as head coach where we pretty much know the outcome, guess the same could be said about Cousins too. An uninspiring head coach and QB combo might be the reason. 

Yes, it’s time to move on from both Zimmer and Spielman. They have to be a packaged deal. 

The Vikings need to find a coach who can bring the high energy. Someone who can get the team amped up and motivated. 

The Vikings are out of balance. They have so many players with laid back/reserved personalities, players who let their play do the talking, that there isn’t enough energy on the field. There aren’t enough guys who can bring that emotional spark. 

They need a coach, or coaches, who can bring that energy, bring the intensity that the players can feed off of. Bring back that balance. 

And that doesn’t mean they need a screamer or someone who’s always in the players’ face.

Edited by SemperFeist

7 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

It'd not great but there has to be some variance in there with the lack of defensive starters.

I’m sure there is, but it’s also something that every team needs to deal with. 

And another reason why the injury angle doesn’t work for me is that the players who’ve missed the most time (Hunter, Barr, Peterson, Pierce) are guys who missed time last year or weren’t on the team. The coaches should know how to handle games with those players out. They should know how to game plan for their replacements. 

Edited by SemperFeist

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m sure there is, but it’s also something that every team needs to deal with. 

And another reason why the injury angle doesn’t work for me is that the players who’ve missed the most time (Hunter, Barr, Peterson, Pierce) are guys who missed time last year or weren’t on the team. The coaches should know how to handle games with those players out. They should know how to game plan for their replacements. 

That's been the most frustrating part.  It could be excused last year because a lot of them were rookies in a weird pandemic situation.  But, there doesn't seem to be any significant improvement in these players despite the experience.  I could excuse them if they seemed to be improving, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Wonnum has improved, but only in the pass-rushing department...the players should be better against the run, but they still seem to be turnstiles...so that has to go to the coaching.  They haven't been put in positions to succeed on defense, something that we couldn't have said in the past, but seems to be the case the last 2 years.

4 minutes ago, swede700 said:

That's been the most frustrating part.  It could be excused last year because a lot of them were rookies in a weird pandemic situation.  But, there doesn't seem to be any significant improvement in these players despite the experience.  I could excuse them if they seemed to be improving, but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Wonnum has improved, but only in the pass-rushing department...the players should be better against the run, but they still seem to be turnstiles...so that has to go to the coaching.  They haven't been put in positions to succeed on defense, something that we couldn't have said in the past, but seems to be the case the last 2 years.

I think the other side of the argument is the defensive spending we've done hasn't worked out.

This is why I've been saying I think the whole team is holistically flawed from roster construction to coaching and play calling.

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings need to find a coach who can bring the high energy. Someone who can get the team amped up and motivated. 

The Vikings are out of balance. They have so many players with laid back/reserved personalities, players who let their play do the talking, that there isn’t enough energy on the field. There aren’t enough guys who can bring that emotional spark. 

They need a coach, or coaches, who can bring that energy, bring the intensity that the players can feed off of. Bring back that balance. 

And that doesn’t mean they need a screamer or someone who’s always in the players’ face.

Seems losing guys like Linval and Griffen played a role here. At least I sort of saw those two as high energy players. Guys like Hunter, Smith, Kendricks and Barr don’t fit that mold. They just play well, do their jobs at an elite level; just never thought of them as high energy leaders in a sense. 

The team has no personality and it seems there’s regular suppression against where the team could be dangerous (pass oriented, spreading the field with 3 WRs regularly). Your best and most recognized players are at QB and WR. Use them, especially since the run game has pretty much been ineffective with Cook getting the bulk of the carries and there’s no defense. What does this defense do well at except rack up sacks?

Another reason I almost don’t want Zimmer fired, I almost think this team is good enough to get to the playoffs….. even win a game…..

fire him now and we elevate someone within and they do indeed do this and win a playoff game, they are just hired and we are stuck within the same system. I dang near just want us to get an explosive type offense.