If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Is speed specific to Mahomes skill set though? Wasn’t always the case with Reid’s offense.

Nwangwu certainly has speed. Can he be an effective receiver out of the backfield?

I wouldn't say it's necessarily specific to Mahomes' skill-set, although, with their speed, his arm strength is top-tier enough to get the ball downfield to them...and while he's mobile, he doesn't have to have nearly the same amount of time to be protected as the current talent situation.  He fits exactly what Reid wants to do...he actually is a significantly upgraded version of McNabb, because if you look at his teams in Philly, the Chiefs' are a better version of the same team.

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport reports that Vikings ownership is undecided whether to fire Zimmer at the end of the season. While Zimmer is on the hot seat, Rapoport notes that making the playoffs could go a long way in saving his job.

"Mike Zimmer appears to be one of the coaches whose fate has not yet been decided, per sources informed of his situation," Rapoport wrote. "Winning out and making the playoffs would go a long way toward solidifying his status. Miss the playoffs -- for the fifth time in eight seasons -- and it would be a decision left to Minnesota's ownership."

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora also listed the Vikings along with the Denver Broncos and Chicago Bears as teams preparing to conduct a head coaching search at the end of the season.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sports/report-vikings-ownership-undecided-on-firing-mike-zimmer

Doesn't make sense to decide until they know how the season ends.  Unless they plan on bringing him back no matter what 

This season I feel that, even though I love Zimmer as a coach, he should be let go. His tendency for nepotism and lack of understand of basic time management adjustments sealed his fate. 

I would not mind getting another defensive minded coach- That Saints DC is looking pretty good. Curious if he will get a lot of offers this offseason.

I’d rather avoid hiring another defensive coach to be a HC because they run a good defense. There’s so much more to being a HC. I’m more inclined to trust a coach who can work with a QB, Zimmer clearly can’t and honestly doesn’t seem like he put an effort into it. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d rather avoid hiring another defensive coach to be a HC because they run a good defense. There’s so much more to being a HC. I’m more inclined to trust a coach who can work with a QB, Zimmer clearly can’t and honestly doesn’t seem like he put an effort into it. 

Well, that's on Zimmer himself.  Tony Dungy was a defensive-minded head coach and I'm pretty certain he did a good job working with his QBs...as does Belichick...and Sean McDermott...and Pete Carroll...and Mike Tomlin.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Well, that's on Zimmer himself.  Tony Dungy was a defensive-minded head coach and I'm pretty certain he did a good job working with his QBs...as does Belichick...and Sean McDermott...and Pete Carroll...and Mike Tomlin.  

Right, not all defensive coaches struggle with this. But I’m guessing more do than offensive oriented coaches. If they are a great candidate, I don’t care what side of the ball they may be more focused on. QB has to be a focal point though. 

Edited by vikingsrule

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I want a coach who makes football fun. Both for the players, and fans. 

I don't think it's solely Zimmer's fault, but I'm not sure football has been all that entertaining for me the past few years.  I'm waiting for it to become fun again, but the really bad fundamental play across the league...and the rules that have rendered defense impotent have soured it for me.  

7 hours ago, swede700 said:

I don't think it's solely Zimmer's fault, but I'm not sure football has been all that entertaining for me the past few years.  I'm waiting for it to become fun again, but the really bad fundamental play across the league...and the rules that have rendered defense impotent have soured it for me.  

Agreed. I don’t watch other games at this point. I still get into Viking games but the NFL is doing a really good job ruining a good thing in the name of high scoring offenses and “safety”.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1