If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

Who would you want as the new head coach and general manager?

For me, I am assuming that there wouldn't be anyone in the front office or on the present coaching staff that would be elevated to these positions.  So, I have a scheme...I think the Wilfs should look at assistant coaches and assistant gm's that are from the same organization.  My thinking is that the tandem would already likely have a working relationship and shared philosophy.  Thus, I have looked at three teams who have success on the field, not only due to coaching, but because the front office is very good at drafting, trading, and bringing in impactful free agents.

From the Kansas City Chiefs - Eric Bienemy as head coach and Mike Borgonzi as general manager

From the Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Byron Leftwich for head coach and John Spytek for general manager

New Orleans Saints - Pete Carmichael for head coach and Jeff Ireland for general manager

Los Angeles Chargers - Joe Lombardi as head coach and JoJo Wooden as general manager

All four head coaching candidates are offensive coordinators.  I know that Bienemy, Leftwich and Carmichael don't run their own schemes, or maybe don't even call their own plays...but, they have learned from three creative "mad scientists" offensive minded head coaches and I'd be hopeful that has rubbed off on them.  Lombardi has been in the NFL coaching ranks for a number of years and has never been thought of as a head coach.  Yet, he seems to be doing something pretty special with the Chargers.  

All four general manager candidates have worked for established general managers with really good experience.  Ireland, I believe, has also been a team general manager.  I think they would bring good knowledge from their present positions to the Vikings.

I'm not necessarily a fan of bringing in coaches or gm's that had some success but ultimately got fired by other teams.  I don't think I would bring in Doug Pederson or Jeff Fisher, who I have seen on wish lists before.  Same with GM's.

So, what's wrong with my logic of bringing in a tandem from another team.  Does the familiarity with one another help or hurt?

There would be 2 names that are on my short list...one would be (and I know some will rip it for being a re-tread) Rick Smith.  I think he did a pretty good job in Houston and it certainly fell apart after he left to take care of his wife.  The other would be Glenn Cook out of Cleveland.  He may be young, but he  has potential having served with and for Andrew Berry in Cleveland.  I would let either one hire a new coach, as I'm not really into the "tandem" idea, although it could certainly work.    

2 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

No idea, as long as they believe in the forward pass.....

It'd be nice to have an offense that's not from 1974.

Honestly, we just don't have the coaching philosophy that can win us a Super Bowl. We're so far behind the times especially when you look at the rest of the league and see offenses like Buffalo, KC, Tampa, LAC, and these other teams that can put up 119 points in a matter of seconds and we're trying to paly catch up with a two yard rush on first down. 

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Who would you want as the new head coach and general manager?

For me, I am assuming that there wouldn't be anyone in the front office or on the present coaching staff that would be elevated to these positions.  So, I have a scheme...I think the Wilfs should look at assistant coaches and assistant gm's that are from the same organization.  My thinking is that the tandem would already likely have a working relationship and shared philosophy.  Thus, I have looked at three teams who have success on the field, not only due to coaching, but because the front office is very good at drafting, trading, and bringing in impactful free agents.

From the Kansas City Chiefs - Eric Bienemy as head coach and Mike Borgonzi as general manager

From the Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Byron Leftwich for head coach and John Spytek for general manager

New Orleans Saints - Pete Carmichael for head coach and Jeff Ireland for general manager

Los Angeles Chargers - Joe Lombardi as head coach and JoJo Wooden as general manager

All four head coaching candidates are offensive coordinators.  I know that Bienemy, Leftwich and Carmichael don't run their own schemes, or maybe don't even call their own plays...but, they have learned from three creative "mad scientists" offensive minded head coaches and I'd be hopeful that has rubbed off on them.  Lombardi has been in the NFL coaching ranks for a number of years and has never been thought of as a head coach.  Yet, he seems to be doing something pretty special with the Chargers.  

All four general manager candidates have worked for established general managers with really good experience.  Ireland, I believe, has also been a team general manager.  I think they would bring good knowledge from their present positions to the Vikings.

I'm not necessarily a fan of bringing in coaches or gm's that had some success but ultimately got fired by other teams.  I don't think I would bring in Doug Pederson or Jeff Fisher, who I have seen on wish lists before.  Same with GM's.

So, what's wrong with my logic of bringing in a tandem from another team.  Does the familiarity with one another help or hurt?

It is a bit deceptive to call Eric Bienemy and Byron Leftwich the reason for the success of either one of those organizations.  They are successful because the Head coach and even more importantly the QBs on both teams.  Andy Reid and Bruce Arians are far more reason for both teams success, granted the GMs did do a great job in both cases no doubt about it but why in the world would they leave a great team in both cases?  No chance that happens.  

Eric Bienemy might be one of the more popular names but there has to be a reason he was passed over so often and it is probably the fact that everyone knows Andy Reid has his fingers all over his success.  But sure he is an option, same with the Bears DC who is young Sean Desai, wildly intelligent and a great teacher and communicator.  He would be a young guy to keep an eye on.  But yeah not a ton of great guys around outside of the standard hire someone from the Sean McVay coaching tree which has happened a crap ton.

It is just not very likely those GMs leave those teams to come to this one unless they are fired and why would that happen?  All four of those teams should be successful this year.  

Ryan Day is another I would be shocked if he is not a HC in the NFL soon, he is probably the best name out there in the college ranks because not sure he wants to be in college but how knows.  Still I think he could get a job in the NFL easily, probably would have been a better hire for the Jaguars than Urban Meyer was.  Meyer is a better motivator but more a college coach I think with his style but will see.

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Ed Dodds as GM, with Kellen Moore as HC. 

I heard that Kellen Moore talk, not sure I buy it but sure he is a young coordinator that has put up some numbers but is it really that hard with the best WR core in the NFL in terms of depth arguably?  Not to mention a solid OL, solid RB and developing young proven QB.  But yeah maybe he is an option, love his toughness and grit as a player but he did suck in the pros kind of but so what.

1 hour ago, dc_vikingfan said:

I don't know for GM but really like what Brian Daboll has done the Bills as OC. Whether like Mond or go in the draft this team need a offensive minded coach who will groom a young QB.

Daboll?  Nah, Josh Allen is the reason for the teams success and getting Diggs is when Allen took that jump so that helped also.  Not sure Daboll had a ton to do with it but sure hire who is successful in the league but that success is not always coordinator driven.  Players get coaches a lot of jobs they maybe should never have got.

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You don’t think that the OC has a lot to do with that? 

No, especially with a team coached by Mike McCarthy and most of it is his system, and basically McCarthy did the same thing with the Packers years back when they had Jennings, Nelson, Driver and Jones then one left and had Cobb in the mix etc.  Four wide, spread the field, and the Cowboys absolutely went four wide a ton, bet Zek is pissed on how little they ran the ball and support the run but maybe it was just game planning against the Bucs.  Either way that offense looks a lot like the Packers and the receiver depth they had and how they played and not sure that is Moore, it is McCarthy's influence.

So yes producing with receivers like that and a QB like that is not hard.  Lamb is an absolutely super star potentially, Cooper already is and Gallup is standout when he is healthy and Cedric Wilson is an up and coming receiver.  Also have Schultz who is a decent TE weapon, same with Jarwin and Noah Brown who has size and ability.  But if all healthy the three starters of Cooper, Lamb and Gallup I would say in the best three on any team in the NFL right now.  

Sign me up for Bienemy, Moore, or Leftwich. Zimmer as DC if he’d be willing (unlikely). 

I like Zimmer. Really do. However, it’s becoming more and more clear his passion is the defense and his offensive philosophy hasn’t evolved with the times and even worse he delegates mediocrity, hamstringing our ability to grow offensively. 

I hope I’m wrong. I really do. Unfortunately, it’s been too long for me to believe it’s highly probable that we’ll change offensively. For me, it’s unacceptable that we haven’t figured out how to mitigate a poor offensive line. Yes, it’d be nice to find the perfect OL, but as a coach it’s your responsibility to get the most out of what you’ve got and I fail to see how we’ve tried to adapt against a porous line. 

The seven step check downs from Kirk in week 1 were awful. Try something different. Quick hitters, chips, 3-step drops, up tempo, more latitude for audibling against coverages. Heck, tell Kirk to throw more YOLO balls and accept interceptions. Just do something different. It’s better than slowly dying. 

Edited by HitStickAllDay
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Eric Bienemy might be one of the more popular names but there has to be a reason he was passed over so often 

It could be because of Andy Reid calling the plays.  It could also be another reason that moderators would probably not like me to mention, but is something that continues to plague the NFL and society in general.