If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

2 hours ago, babababa said:

As bothered as I am about starting 0-2 this team can still win the NFC North. There isn't a team in this division that looks great right now. The Packers beat the Lions -- big deal.

The O-Line was an enormous concern after week 1, but they played much better last week.

Think about how close the last 2 games were.

Let's get perspective.

Granted.  Yet, at the same time, it's important to note that the Vikings have a VERY tough schedule.  The only two games I see on the schedule that are almost locks would be the two games against the Lions.  Then again, I thought the Vikings were a lock against the Bengals.  Should've won that game by double digits, but they left with an L.  The Vikings COULD win the NFC North, but I think it unlikely, and it's very doubtful that two playoff teams will come out of the division.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Granted.  Yet, at the same time, it's important to note that the Vikings have a VERY tough schedule.  The only two games I see on the schedule that are almost locks would be the two games against the Lions.  Then again, I thought the Vikings were a lock against the Bengals.  Should've won that game by double digits, but they left with an L.  The Vikings COULD win the NFC North, but I think it unlikely, and it's very doubtful that two playoff teams will come out of the division.

I think they’ll find a way to win at least 3 in the division. Outside of the division, who knows at this point. The Vikes have shown they can put themselves in positions to win games, they’ve just had some bad breaks the first two weeks. They need to find a way to avoid self destructing in clutch moments.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AP_allday2869 said:

If anyone wants to see what it looks like when a coach wants to score a touchdown instead of settling for field goals before the end of the half, go watch the Texans on their last drive before half.

Well, it was the only TD they scored all night.

16 minutes ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Right, but they didn't wave the white flag and settle for a field goal. Which is basically the only thing we know.

We are awfully conservative, but I wouldn't call it waving the white flag.  Waving the white flag is what Denny did in the NFC Title Game vs. the Falcons.  

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

We are awfully conservative, but I wouldn't call it waving the white flag.  Waving the white flag is what Denny did in the NFC Title Game vs. the Falcons.  

I think Zimmer still has some very misplaced trust in the defense. Conservative approach works if you can trust your defense to stifle the opposition but that hasn’t really been the case in a few years now. He needs to evolve to trust the offense more as the better unit.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 8:01 AM, vikingsrule said:

Does a 0-4 start get Zimmer fired? Seems to be where things are headed. Who’s the top interim candidate? 

If I were Zygi Wilf, I wouldn't fire him after that start.  Your first two losses could have easily gone the other way - Week 1 if Dalvin was called down before the fumble, and Week 2 if the kicker had made that 37 yarder.  IMO, Week 1 was an ugly start with all the penalties, but I thought the Vikings played quite a bit better overall in Week 2.  If they keep going in that direction, you will start winning games.  I have a bet with my brother that the Vikings will win at least 10 games this year.  After what I saw from them in the game against the Cardinals, I'm not worried yet.  I still think they can win 10 of the next 15.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:01 AM, vikingsrule said:

Does a 0-4 start get Zimmer fired? Seems to be where things are headed. Who’s the top interim candidate? 

they are a good team, but just hit some bad luck.

I expect them to be 4-3, before too long and all this will be behind them

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bringing this thread back to the front, so that other one can slide off, as this is more relevant, because it's about more than just Zimmer.  In the event of any change, I believe it's more likely that both go.  But, one thing that probably won't change is the inclusion of analytics in the organization, which has now permeated the organization, but may be even enhanced more under a new regime.  Here's evidence that they use it now quite a bit...

Which teams are among the top five most analytically inclined?

Cleveland Browns (22), Baltimore Ravens (22), Philadelphia Eagles (14), Buffalo Bills (12), Indianapolis Colts (8), Los Angeles Rams (6), Minnesota Vikings (4), San Francisco 49ers (4), Jacksonville Jaguars (3), Atlanta Falcons (2), Green Bay Packers (2), New England Patriots (2), Dallas Cowboys (1), Denver Broncos (1), Detroit Lions (1) and New York Jets (1)

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32338821/2021-nfl-analytics-survey-most-least-analytically-inclined-teams-future-gm-candidates-more

• 3 weeks later...

It’ll be an interesting offseason. Looking around the league, I’m not seeing very many head coaching jobs opening up. Unless we see some of the older coaches retire. 

MIN - Zimmer - I’ll put him at 50/50, although it could be less. 
DET - Campbell - He’s safe for 2022. 
GNB - LaFleur - Possibly the safest job in the NFL.
CHI - Nagy - As good as gone.
WAS - Rivera - Safe for 2022.
DAL - McCarthy - Safe for 2022, unless Jones decides to promote Kellen Moore to avoid losing him. 
NYG - Judge - Probably safe for 2022. I don’t see Mara getting rid of a third consecutive coach after just two seasons. 
PHI - Sirianni - Safe for 2022. 
ATL - Smith - Safe for 2022.
TMB - Arians - Safe for 2022. Unless he retires
NOR - Payton - Safe for 2022. Unless he retires.
CAR - Rhule - Safe for 2022.
SEA - Carrol - Safe for 2022. Unless he retires
McVay - Safe for 2022.
SFO - Shanahan - Likely safe with 5 years left on his contract. But his seat may be hotter than some realize. 
ARI - Kingsbury - Safe for 2022. 

CLE - Stefanski - Safe for 2022.
CIN - Taylor - Safe for 2022. 
PIT - Tomlinson - Safe for 2022.
BAL - Harbaugh - Safe for 2022. 
NWE - Belichick - Safe for 2022. Unless he retires.
NYJ - Saleh - Safe for 2022.
BUF - McDermott - Safe for 2022.
MIA - Flores - 50/50. Had them heading in the right direction but they took a step back. I think the Watson thing is affecting the locker room. 
TEN - Vrabel - Safe for 2022.
IND - Reich - Safe for 2022.
JAX - Meyer - Safe for 2022. Unless Meyer resigns.
HOU - Culley - Safe for 2022.
KAN - Reid - Safe for 2022. Unless he retires.
LAV - Gruden - Already out.
DEN - Fangio - I think the decision has already been made. Heading out. 
LAC - Staley - Safe for 2022. 

That’s just 3 jobs almost certainly available, with just 2, maybe 3, jobs up in the air. 

On 9/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, Virginia Viking said:

With San Francisco and New Orleans playing poorly, and The Vikings OL(with Darrisaw now starting), and overall defence (especially run defence, getting better (with Tomlinson finally producing well, and Pierce returning), The Vikings seem to have a decent shot at a non-division-leading playoff spot.