If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

29 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

Do you think Cousins would go the Brady route and take a pay cut to help the team out?  They've already given him a lot and he's making that Pizza Ranch money on the side lol.

Depends on what you mean by taking a pay cut. 

I could certainly see Cousins signing a 2 year, $60M extension. Especially if it’s fully guaranteed. That would be a pay cut, but probably not what most fans envision when they talk about it. If you’re asking do I think if Cousins would drop his salary to $25M per year? Lol, no. 

Yeah, I think Kirk may give the team a discount, but it won’t be huge. He’s made $161,000,000 so far, and barring a change to next season’s salary, he will have $196,000,000 in career earnings. He’s 33 and has at least 5 more years of being a starting QB. He could push $300,000,000 in career earnings over that time at $25,000,000 a year, but I doubt he takes any less than $30MM. And that’s probably not going to happen. I could see him staying at his current rate, and with the cap going up each year, that would be the discount. Just depends how badly he wants to win. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Depends on what you mean by taking a pay cut. 

I could certainly see Cousins signing a 2 year, $60M extension. Especially if it’s fully guaranteed. That would be a pay cut, but probably not what most fans envision when they talk about it. If you’re asking do I think if Cousins would drop his salary to $25M per year? Lol, no. 

Yeah as long as it drops his 2022 cap hit.  30 mil per season will be a steal once the cap goes back to where it was next year.  

3 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Yeah, I think Kirk may give the team a discount, but it won’t be huge. He’s made $161,000,000 so far, and barring a change to next season’s salary, he will have $196,000,000 in career earnings. He’s 33 and has at least 5 more years of being a starting QB. He could push $300,000,000 in career earnings over that time at $25,000,000 a year, but I doubt he takes any less than $30MM. And that’s probably not going to happen. I could see him staying at his current rate, and with the cap going up each year, that would be the discount. Just depends how badly he wants to win. 

I’m predicting a 2 year, $60M extension. 

But even if he signed an identical extension as his last one, they could save $8M towards the salary cap if they just spread the cap hit out evenly. 

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

It just depends on what we do with the front office. If Spielman stays, I'd say its very likely Cousins gets extended.

If Spielman stays, I don't think that the QB position is the Vikings largest problem no matter whether they have Cousins.

This team needs a new head coach.

To that end, they need to fire Spielman because I don't want him picking another head coach.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

To me it’s foolish to get rid of Cousins until you know you have a better option to replace him. 

Cousins may not be a future ball of gamer like so many seem to think is easy to find, but he’s a damn good QB. Which is hard to find. 

It usually doesn’t work that way. At some point you have to roll the dice. The ideal situation would be having Cousins and the drafted long term replacement on the roster like the Chiefs with Mahomes and Smith. But even in that situation, the Chiefs didn’t know what they had in Mahomes until they moved on from Smith. And no Mond isn’t the conversation as a potential long term starter.

Edited by vikingsrule

All I know, is that I want Kellen Moore so badly to be our head coach. I want to gamble with the young, offensive mind and he just knows how to scheme to put the ball in his best players hands. Brian Daboll would be a close second. I don't want another defensive-minded coach again at all.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

But even in that situation, the Chiefs didn’t know what they had in Mahomes until they moved on from Smith.

Yes they did. They saw Mahomes in meeting rooms, they saw him in practice, in preseason, and then they even saw him in their week 17 game that year while the rested players for the playoffs. 

The Chiefs may not have known that Mahomes was the next great young QB, but kept Smith until they were comfortable with letting Mahomes take over. The Vikings need to do the same. Another short (2 year) extension allows them to do that. To find the guy that they want, not just drafting a QB because they need one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

To me it’s foolish to get rid of Cousins until you know you have a better option to replace him. 

Cousins may not be a future ball of gamer like so many seem to think is easy to find, but he’s a damn good QB. Which is hard to find. 

Agreed. This team has the talent to challenge at least win their division, if not challenge for a Super Bowl. But the Coaching staff is massively misusing their talent. If Sean McVay, Bill Belichick, or Matt LaFleur were coach this team would at least be 5-2.

The next coach, and count me in on the Kellen Moore train, must, and I mean MUST, be a coach who is capable of building and having a relationship with the QB. He must be someone who trusts the QB. 

Zimmer has never trusted his QBs. It’s not just Cousins, because we all saw the comments about the horseshoe with Keenum in 2017, and looking back with Teddy, I think we all failed to recognize the lack of trust and chalked it up to Bridfewater’s inexperience. 

And that lack of trust has negatively impacted how this team game plans. And I think it’s the worst yet this year because of the high level of inexperience of Klint Kubiak. 

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Didn't they say that Kellen Moore was one Cooper Rush's teammate or did I hear that wrong?

They were teammates on the Cowboys in 2017. 

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Aren't people worried about his inexperience? 

Not one bit. I think Moore has shown a great ability to not only design an offense, to game plan for the players that he has, but he’s shown that he can work through adversity of losing his best player. He’s shown that he can work with multiple schools of thought, and all of that shows that he knows how to communicate with not only his players, but other coaches as well.