If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

Kevin Stefanski as HC. Oh wait...

That's water under the bridge, I felt similar vibes in 1995 when Dungy left after the season to take the Bucs job...it is what it is.  But there will be others like Stefanski.  For all we know there could be another team's version of Stefanski who the Vikings may be able to get (should they move on from Zimmer) and disappoint them.  

• Like 1

Rick Spielman is the longest tenured GM without a Super Bowl appearance on his resume. His Vikings resume is inept compared to the GM’s who’ve held their position longer. 

Mike Zimmer is the longest tenured head coach without a Super Bowl win, or appearance, on his resume. His winning percentage and playoff appearance ratio is vastly inferior to the head coaches who’ve held their position longer.

Quite frankly, short of a Super Bowl appearance this year, it’s time for new vision, and new leadership.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Rick Spielman is the longest tenured GM without a Super Bowl appearance on his resume. His Vikings resume is inept compared to the GM’s who’ve held their position longer. 

Mike Zimmer is the longest tenured head coach without a Super Bowl win, or appearance, on his resume. His winning percentage and playoff appearance ratio is vastly inferior to the head coaches who’ve held their position longer.

Quite frankly, short of a Super Bowl appearance this year, it’s time for new vision, and new leadership.

I lean towards this thought as well.

For one, I do not see one of Zimmer/Spielman being kept while the other is let go. I think their hands are tied. 

and since that perfectly fits what we want from this thread:

Head Coaches:

Eric Bienemy

Kellen Moore

Pete Carmichael

General Managers:

Mike Borgonzi

Scott Fitterer

Joe Hortiz

From 2014 through 2018, Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer have drafted 46* players. Only 6 of those players have gotten a second contract from the Vikings, with Tyler Conklin likely the only remaining player with the potential to earn one. And 2019 is looking really ugly, well. 

*I omitted Sharif Floyd from the count, as his situation was a tragic accident, completely out of the team’s control. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

From 2014 through 2018, Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer have drafted 46* players. Only 6 of those players have gotten a second contract from the Vikings, with Tyler Conklin likely the only remaining player with the potential to earn one. And 2019 is looking really ugly, well. 

*I omitted Sharif Floyd from the count, as his situation was a tragic accident, completely out of the team’s control. 

That’s amazing in an absolutely terrible way

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I don't expect you to do the work but it'd be interesting to see how that compares to other teams during that time. 

26 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I don't expect you to do the work but it'd be interesting to see how that compares to other teams during that time. 

I think it is safe to say that it compares poorly to the mean.  How many standard deviations from the mean would indeed be interesting, but it takes someone that has a college intern to keep busy to get that kind of analysis.

An interesting question would be how much of that is due to the general manager not identifying worthwhile players and how much of it is owing to the coaches failing to develop worthwhile players. To determine that, one needs to look into how many of the players that the team didn't bring back to a second contract earned starting positions with one of the other 31 teams afterwards. It doesn't seem to me that there are a lot of former Viking draft picks around the league playing significant snaps. 

• Like 1

I think the writing in on the wall for Justin Jefferson to request a trade sometime this season as we’re on the to an expected 0-4 start. Not saying it’s actioned, but that’s the problem when the brass miss manages the offense so poorly. Ppl try to blame Diggs but he was 100% correct. The cousins extension was the downfall. He should have played his 3 years out and we let him walk. The argument that we got JJ for Diggs is dumb. It should be that we could have had Diggs-Theilen-JJ had they selected JJ with the Vikings pick.  

7 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I think the writing in on the wall for Justin Jefferson to request a trade sometime this season as we’re on the to an expected 0-4 start. Not saying it’s actioned, but that’s the problem when the brass miss manages the offense so poorly. Ppl try to blame Diggs but he was 100% correct. The cousins extension was the downfall. He should have played his 3 years out and we let him walk. The argument that we got JJ for Diggs is dumb. It should be that we could have had Diggs-Theilen-JJ had they selected JJ with the Vikings pick.  

Agreed on Cousins. My thoughts on him are well documented.

I don't see JJ asking for a trade in year 2. If this season is full melt down, and it continues into next year, maybe. I'd give it 20%. If we give 8 a 3rd extension, unlikely, then that probably increases significantly.

He's definitely better than the guy who should be in jail that we took at 31.

5 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Agreed on Cousins. My thoughts on him are well documented.

I don't see JJ asking for a trade in year 2. If this season is full melt down, and it continues into next year, maybe. I'd give it 20%. If we give 8 a 3rd extension, unlikely, then that probably increases significantly.

He's definitely better than the guy who should be in jail that we took at 31.

Any chance he ever makes it back to the NFL? I'm leaning towards a hard no.

I’m going to try and look at it a little more in depth, but I do find it interesting that Zimmer has found more success, defensively, with more players who were drafted by the Vikings before Zimmer arrived, or signed as free agent additions, than while Zimmer was a part of the scouting/decision process. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1