If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Just for fun,

If the Wilfs came up to you and told you that only ONE of Spielman or Zimmer would be let go, while the other is retained, who would you give the boot? 

…for discussion sake, Cousins will get traded regardless. 

Spileman is the long term problem. Zimmer is the short term.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twslhs20 said:

Spileman is the long term problem. Zimmer is the short term.

Agreed. Spielman bet on Cousins, that wasn’t a move pushed by Zimmer. Now Cousins hasn’t been awful but Spielman should have seen this coming that if you pay a QB that isn’t near elite $35-$40m per year, your roster is not going to be playoff caliber. Combine this problem with the fact that Mn has very few impact players from the 2016-2020 draft class on cheap rookie deals during the Cousins contract, the roster is depleted. It’s a coaching issue and a talent issue. Again, Spielman bet on Cousins and that has resulted in one playoff win in what four years. That’s a long term roster issue just as it is coaching.  

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Agreed. Spielman bet on Cousins, that wasn’t a move pushed by Zimmer. Now Cousins hasn’t been awful but Spielman should have seen this coming that if you pay a QB that isn’t near elite $35-$40m per year, your roster is not going to be playoff caliber. Combine this problem with the fact that Mn has very few impact players from the 2016-2020 draft class on cheap rookie deals during the Cousins contract, the roster is depleted. It’s a coaching issue and a talent issue. Again, Spielman bet on Cousins and that has resulted in one playoff win in what four years. That’s a long term roster issue just as it is coaching.  

I've been beating this drum for a minute. I love when people ask what you would do different, and it's literally anything other than that. You can't spend 15-30% of your cap in one guy. It doesn't work for roster construction.

Pat Mahomes is 28.26% of KCs cap. Maybe he will be the one to break the mold. He can actually elevate the players around him. Maybe he's worth it. But that Defense struggles mighty, and the offense isn't great outside of Hill and Kelce.

Cousins was 17.98% of our cap. He doesn't elevate others around him. He's a .500 QB. He is who he is. He needs great piece around him and a great defense. He doesn't have that.

Tom Brady is 13.68% of the Bucs cap. Enough said.

You can discuss the economics all day, and positions of value consistently increasing.

At the end of the day, I don't know if we will see another high paid QB win a SB without a great cast with reasonable deals, and a whole lot of luck to keep those players healthy a full season.

Edited by twslhs20
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

I've been beating this drum for a minute. I love when people ask what you would do different, and it's literally anything other than that. You can't spend 15-30% of your cap in one guy. It doesn't work for roster construction.

Pat Mahomes is 28.26% of KCs cap. Maybe he will be the one to break the mold. He can actually elevate the players around him. Maybe he's worth it. But that Defense struggles mighty, and the offense isn't great outside of Hill and Kelce.

Cousins was 17.98% of our cap. He doesn't elevate others around him. He's a .500 QB. He is who he is. He needs great piece around him and a great defense. He doesn't have that.

Tom Brady is 13.68% of the Bucs cap. Enough said.

You can discuss the economics all day, and positions of value consistently increasing.

At the end of the day, I don't know if we will see another high paid QB win a SB without a great cast with reasonable deals, and a whole lot of luck to keep those players healthy a full season.

I’d gladly pay Mahomes 30% of my cap. He’s going to win multiple Super Bowls when it’s all said and done. As for Brady, he’s frequently taken team friendly deals helps when your wife makes more than you.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

Tarkenton, Marino, .... vs. Brad Johnson, .... both winners and losers have outliers among them.

Still skews heavily towards elite QBs. Over the last twenty years, what are the exceptions?

One year of Flacco. One year of Foles. Two by Eli (who’s not a HOF worthy QB in my eyes). Russell Wilson (not sure he’s a HOF QB yet). Who else am I missing? 

23 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Still skews heavily towards elite QBs. Over the last twenty years, what are the exceptions?

One year of Flacco. One year of Foles. Two by Eli (who’s not a HOF worthy QB in my eyes). Russell Wilson (not sure he’s a HOF QB yet). Who else am I missing? 

I agree with your generalization about HOF QBs leading their teams to championships.  But it is a generalization.

Cousins, for example, could eventually become an outlier.  Or, a HOF QB if the panelists who vote are swayed by a championship or two. 

Flacco had a great defense, Foles?; I don't recall anything about the Philly D that year.  Eli; same as Foles; the Giants Defense wasn't noteworthy, to my best recollection.  But SB winning defenses were rarely, if ever, as depleted of secondary talent as is the 2021 Vikings.

Outliers exist.  Over time, some shift toward the mean.

Edited by Purplexing
'if', not 'is the panelists'

17 hours ago, Nzd07 said:

I’m worried about Leftwich. What’s his resume like without Brady? Could it be another Adam Gase

He can't be Gase.  Gase is a jackass and that's more why he was a failure as a coach.  He wasn't a leader.  Leftwich is a leader.  

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

He can't be Gase.  Gase is a jackass and that's more why he was a failure as a coach.  He wasn't a leader.  Leftwich is a leader.  

That's a fair point. But the concerns about his small resume still stand. I'd feel safer with McDaniels or Bienemy.