If Zimmer and Spielman Go...

I think Dennis Allen is making a push for my favorite HC candidate. 

I love the energy his defense plays with, how they fly around the field, and how they swarm to the ball. His defense also always seems ready for the big moments/games. And he’s shown the ability to do it whether he’s got his full contingent of players, or he’s inserting backups. 

After Frazier and Zimmer, plus the current environment of the league, I’ve been saying that this team needs an offensive minded HC moving forward, but looking around the league it doesn’t look like there’s a lot of strong options from the offensive side of the ball  

If it’s truly about hiring the best guy for the job, it’s hard for me to say that Dennis Allen and Todd Bowles aren’t two of the best candidates entering this upcoming coaching cycle  

11 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I love the energy his defense plays with, how they fly around the field, and how they swarm to the ball. His defense also always seems ready for the big moments/games. And he’s shown the ability to do it whether he’s got his full contingent of players, or he’s inserting backups. 

After Frazier and Zimmer, plus the current environment of the league, I’ve been saying that this team needs an offensive minded HC moving forward, but looking around the league it doesn’t look like there’s a lot of strong options from the offensive side of the ball  

If it’s truly about hiring the best guy for the job, it’s hard for me to say that Dennis Allen and Todd Bowles aren’t two of the best candidates entering this upcoming coaching cycle  

I want an offensive guy. Tired of trying to have a defensive guy lead the team.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

You can hire a Defensive Coordinator who can get that out of defense, but this is now an offensive team that should be coached by an offensive minded Head Coach. We don't need another "grind it out and control the clock" coach who wastes the things our best players do. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

"grind it out and control the clock" coach who wastes the things our best players do

Why do you just assume that a defensive minded coach is that way? Why do you just assume that an offensive minded coach won’t be that way? 

Is that how Staley is doing things with the Chargers? Has Stefanski truly opened things up in Cleveland? 

I don’t want to hire a coach just to have an offensive coordinator bring their offense into the locker room and try to be “offense X 2.0”. You don’t hire a coach to control or emphasize just one side of the ball. I’d think people would have learned that lesson with Zimmer. You hire a coach who is going to motivate, inspire, and create a philosophy/culture in the locker room. And that is exactly what coaches like Dennis Allen and Todd Bowles have done with their teams. 

Having an aggressive mindset is not exclusive to offensive minded coaches. 

Hire the best candidate possible. Not just the one who’s the opposite of the guy you want to replace. 

Bill Belichick is a defensive-minded coach.  Sean McDermott is a defensive-minded coach.  Over the past 6 years, defensive-minded head coaches actually have a better overall record than offensive-minded coaches.  

I want the best coach period, whether it be offensive-minded or defensive-minded.  I personally prefer defensive-minded coaches, because it's harder to have a good defense than it is to get a good offense, so I want the best at it.  I've always like Todd Bowles and believe he deserves a 2nd chance, because he didn't get the necessary support with the Jets.  

I'm also always against the tide of the VIkings having to follow the "trend."  Many people said years ago that the VIkings should change to a 3-4 defense because that's what lots of others are doing.  Those same people said they should move to a pass-first offense because that's what everyone else is doing.  Now, they are saying that they should hire an offensive-minded coach because that's what everyone else is doing.  Maybe I'm just a contrary person or I like banging my head against the wall, but I don't want them to just follow the trend, I want them to set a trend.   While the top winning teams seem to be the offensive-minded teams, there also are a larger significant number of non-winning teams that also are offensive-minded teams.  I prefer to take advantage of those things that less teams are doing, because it's a lot harder to get in the muck and win battles with lots of others than to just make your own course.   

• Like 2

I hate changing the offense every other year. That’s why I want an offensive coach. How many defensive oriented head coaches actually take ownership of the offense and keep the same scheme in place? Winning is centered around the QB position, not defense. Defense surely helps but if I’m trying to maximize the success of my QB, I dont want him learning a new offense every other year. Especially if that QB is eventually going to be a young player.  

I get the desire to be good on defense, do you need a defensive oriented head coach to accomplish this? 

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I hate changing the offense every other year. That’s why I want an offensive coach. How many defensive oriented head coaches actually take ownership of the offense and keep the same scheme in place? Winning is centered around the QB position, not defense. Defense surely helps but if I’m trying to maximize the success of my QB, I dont want him learning a new offense every other year. Especially if that QB is eventually going to be a young player.  

I get the desire to be good on defense, do you need a defensive oriented head coach to accomplish this? 

I get what you're saying, but devil's advocate is that the "grass is always greener" right? I mean look at the Denny Green era Vikes. Their defenses routinely didn't show up in playoff games and we got blown out. A good coach is a good coach, regardless of their background. Look at Harbaugh. Yeah I get that he kind of goofed up last night or whatever but the fact that they nearly beat GB with a backup QB says a lot. And Lamar has had the worst year since his rookie season and they're still 8-6. And he's a former Special Teams coach.

Although to be fair Zimmer being a defensive minded HC has had mediocre defenses for 2 years straight. Part of that I think is due to lack of talent and Barr/Hunter not staying healthy but he has to take some responsibility for sure.

29 minutes ago, Nzd07 said:

Although to be fair Zimmer being a defensive minded HC has had mediocre defenses for 2 years straight. Part of that I think is due to lack of talent and Barr/Hunter not staying healthy but he has to take some responsibility for sure.

That certainly is fair, but not even God himself could have saved the Vikings' defense last year based on who they were starting, especially down the stretch.  The fact that they were even in the mix at the end was a miracle in itself.  

This year, the defense has failed in key moments, and he does have himself to blame for that, although a lot of that may also be on the other defensive coaches, most notably the new DB coach.