2021 Week Three GDT Steelers vs the Bengals!

Steeler Hitman

Will Da Steelers do enough to beat the Bengals?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins? Steelers or Bengals

• Yes, Steelers rebound at home and offense does just enough to win.
    • No, the Bengals win and further humiliate a struggling Steelers offense

20 minutes ago, 43M said:

You think Rodgers is going to be as effective with this OLine, and no way to really address it after trading our 1st and spending most of our cap space?

People can delude themselves all they want...Im saying it right now...its not gonna happen.   The Steelers value early draft picks too much.   Only reason they traded for Minkah is because he was only in his 2nd year on a rookie deal and valued him highly coming out.

Id wager Garropolo or Jacoby Brisset is starting for the Steelers next year, a top free agent OLineman, and an OLineman taken early in the draft.

Feel free to point out where I said I thought it was going to happen. I simply pointed out the reason it would. And the reason you would trade for a 39 year old reigning MVP quarterback who has made it to the last two NFC championship games is to win a super bowl while we still have a championship caliber defense, thought that was obvious. Who cares how old he is, he’s still playing as a top 2 QB at worst and all it takes is one super bowl to make it worth it. Ask the Bucs or Broncos if they think it was worth it (I know they didn’t give up draft picks but still very similar situations). And Rodgers probably has more in the tank than Brady does or Manning did at this point anyway. We’re not talking about Big Ben or Eli Manning here, this guy is still torching the league and playing at an elite level. 

In regards to your o-line comment, Rodgers has lit the league on fire with a bottom half the league defense, 0 weapons outside of Adam’s, and Mike McCarthy as his coach. Not to mention there would still be plenty of avenues to improve the line with our remaining draft picks and cap space considering that would basically be our only major need to address. 

Again I am not saying I think it will happen, I’d give him 5% at best, I am making the argument for why it makes sense and why I would if I was GM. Unfortunately I’m not and like you said we will be stuck with Jimmy G or some other castoff (although I would love Teddy B or Mariota).

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I saw that play, it wasn't exactly all on Ahkello. Go look at Ike Taylor's breakdown on the play. Fitzpatrick had equal amount of blame on that play and he actually did blame himself on the play. 

I saw it. Minkah did what was logical. Go after the best weapon they had, that's Waller. 

And, whomever was to blame doesn't really change the fact that that's basically the only snaps he's gotten on the defense. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I saw it. Minkah did what was logical. Go after the best weapon they had, that's Waller. 

That's fine, but also how the play is defended. Not easy playing a cover 3 for a reason. Minkah's responsibility is to take those plays over the top in the middle of the field away. Ahkello's responsibility is take the sidelines away. 

It was just a good play call by the Raiders and a tough play to defend. Those are the types of plays that usually beat a cover 3.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

Breakdown of Ben's deep passing problems

Here's an interesting film room from BTSC. It outlines some of the issues Ben is having when throwing deep. It's worth the read. To sum it up, he's throwing only outside regardless of DB leverage. Ben used to be able to fit a pass in between a safety and an outside leveraged CB. Now it seems like he can't. As @warfelg has mentioned, it looks like a lack of touch to drop it in between defenders. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Feel free to point out where I said I thought it was going to happen. I simply pointed out the reason it would. And the reason you would trade for a 39 year old reigning MVP quarterback who has made it to the last two NFC championship games is to win a super bowl while we still have a championship caliber defense, thought that was obvious. Who cares how old he is, he’s still playing as a top 2 QB at worst and all it takes is one super bowl to make it worth it. Ask the Bucs or Broncos if they think it was worth it (I know they didn’t give up draft picks but still very similar situations). And Rodgers probably has more in the tank than Brady does or Manning did at this point anyway. We’re not talking about Big Ben or Eli Manning here, this guy is still torching the league and playing at an elite level. 

In regards to your o-line comment, Rodgers has lit the league on fire with a bottom half the league defense, 0 weapons outside of Adam’s, and Mike McCarthy as his coach. Not to mention there would still be plenty of avenues to improve the line with our remaining draft picks and cap space considering that would basically be our only major need to address. 

Again I am not saying I think it will happen, I’d give him 5% at best, I am making the argument for why it makes sense and why I would if I was GM. Unfortunately I’m not and like you said we will be stuck with Jimmy G or some other castoff (although I would love Teddy B or Mariota).

I never said you said that....I said people can delude themselves into believing it COULD happen.   And its not just you....Ive seen it suggested numerous times, even this past offseason.

And for the record, Im not saying there is ZERO chance.   I just think the chances are so low, its barely worth discussing.  You say maybe 5%....Im leaning towards something like 1/5000 type of odds.   Unless he is cut, which dramatically increases our chances....but that wont happen.

I think there is a much better chance that Ben is our QB again in 2022 than Rodgers, and I dont think Ben will be back either.

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Very welcome news. I hope he comes back ready. We need the big fella. 

Not only do we need him but we need him to come in and play at a pro bowl level right away.

I wouldn’t be opposed to switching things up and experimenting with Finney at center. At the very least we know he’s reliable and won’t make as many mistakes as Green. Then we have a completely new look right side of the line. We might be able to get some things moving behind Finney - Turner - Banner. 

14 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Turner

Just highlighting this name, but he seemed to put together a much better game. Really hoping he is just playing himself into football shape in a sense. He looked much better. 

Now, if we could get Dotson to turn it around, we might actually start getting somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Just highlighting this name, but he seemed to put together a much better game. Really hoping he is just playing himself into football shape in a sense. He looked much better. 

Now, if we could get Dotson to turn it around, we might actually start getting somewhere. 

Meant to mention in that post I think he’s been our best lineman up to this point.

Honestly I think putting a vet like Finney next to Dotson could really help him out. I think playing in between two rookies is hurting him. 

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Breakdown of Ben's deep passing problems

Here's an interesting film room from BTSC. It outlines some of the issues Ben is having when throwing deep. It's worth the read. To sum it up, he's throwing only outside regardless of DB leverage. Ben used to be able to fit a pass in between a safety and an outside leveraged CB. Now it seems like he can't. As @warfelg has mentioned, it looks like a lack of touch to drop it in between defenders. 

So….his arm is cooked? Got it.

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

Meant to mention in that post I think he’s been our best lineman up to this point.

Honestly I think putting a vet like Finney next to Dotson could really help him out. I think playing in between two rookies is hurting him. 

I am okay with letting Green learn on the job. He has so much upside potential, especially in a horizontal game I think we need to run…

You very well could be right….But I’ve been outspoken in my disappointment so far with Dotson. He is losing way too many man on man battles and showing a total lack of effort in space. I wouldn’t mind BJ getting run and sitting him down for a game or two. Look at what happened in the pre-season…told he was second team and then mauled the Eagles (second team). Maybe it is a motivation thing? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

@43M sorry for wanting to fantasize over Rodgers in black and gold to distract from the 10 straight pages of doom and gloom 😂

Hey, go nuts man.

Im just a realist.    I wouldn't mind Aaron Rodgers in black and gold either....but IMO, its a pipe dream unless we gave up an insane amount....which wont happen and Im completely opposed to anyway.