Report: Lions exploring trade for Jamie Collins

Nnivolcm

Good. He doesn't look like he wants to be here. 

We need veterans to fill some holes and teach guys. If Collins isn't going to play hard then we don't have a spot for him even if he's more talented than the other options. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Collins is just not into the idea of just filling in for a year or two on a rebuilding team. He probably wants out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lions017 said:

We need veterans to fill some holes and teach guys. If Collins isn't going to play hard then we don't have a spot for him even if he's more talented than the other options. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Collins is just not into the idea of just filling in for a year or two on a rebuilding team. He probably wants out. 

I was thinking about this very thing this morning.  I'm wondering about Richard Sherman. He might do wonders for our young secondary.

41 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I was thinking about this very thing this morning.  I'm wondering about Richard Sherman. He might do wonders for our young secondary.

I have heard the Bucs reached out to him.  If I am him I take that offer before coming here.  But I would sign him to a cheap 2 year deal right now with little guaranteed so we can cut him if he is done or keep him for cheap next year if he is decent.  We can do the same for Josh Gordon too.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lions017 said:

He signed large contracts with the Browns when they were perennial top draft pickers and a large contract here when we were terrible and Patricia's seat was very hot. I doubt he's overly concerned about rebuilds.

It would be nice to get something other than a draft pick.  A young developing player that could fill an immediate need but we might only be able to get a draft pick which is better than releasing him for nothing.  Trey Flowers could net something significant also but his recent healthy issues could be problematic.  Still most teams need a guy like him in the locker room  and he defends the run pretty well so might be better off keeping him for now.

Edited by Just Want A Title
Added content

People keep talking about Miami, Denver, NY Giants and Pittsburgh being good spots for Collins to land based on defense types, coaching and needs.  NYG and Miami are former coaches that know him and run systems he has thrived in so makes sense.  So here are some potential deals that would help us IMO. 

Miami - They have a lot of WRs and a huge need
Preston Williams
6th round pick

NYG - This would allow Toney to get on the field. 
Slayton or Shepard

Pitt and Denver would likely just be picks.  

2 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

He signed large contracts with the Browns when they were perennial top draft pickers and a large contract here when we were terrible and Patricia's seat was very hot. I doubt he's overly concerned about rebuilds.

Didn't he also not play all that well for Cleveland? They ended up cutting him for the same reasons - he just wasn't producing and there were questions about his drive/work ethic. 

I remember him kind of revitalizing his career when he left and went back to New England. 

Edited by Lions017
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

Well, it would seem Mr. Collins isn’t exactly a hot commodity. I can’t imagine there will be much interest in him

I thought Broncos would get him in this week cause of all their injuries at LB. Thought a 7th rdp would get it done, even a conditional. 

Now I'm thinking it's just going to be a straight up release. Not in the negation room or anything just doesn't seem right he's not gone yet if there were offers on the table.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SimbaWho said:

I thought Broncos would get him in this week cause of all their injuries at LB. Thought a 7th rdp would get it done, even a conditional. 

Now I'm thinking it's just going to be a straight up release. Not in the negation room or anything just doesn't seem right he's not gone yet if there were offers on the table.

At this point a release seems likely. Maybe a same round pick swap? 

3 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd still like to send him to Miami for Preston Williams.  Gives us a WR with upside even though he has struggled but also gets us out of more of the dead money I believe. 

That wouldn't be a bad idea, 

We have Williams, Cephus, Raymond, Benson, St. Brown. 

It's a super weak group. Cephus and Raymond have made some nice plays but no one has really stood out at all. I'm all for giving the young guys a chance, but not if they aren't ready to play, you know? You still have to be decent enough to give the team a chance to win games. 

1 minute ago, Lions017 said:

That wouldn't be a bad idea, 

We have Williams, Cephus, Raymond, Benson, St. Brown. 

It's a super weak group. Cephus and Raymond have made some nice plays but no one has really stood out at all. I'm all for giving the young guys a chance, but not if they aren't ready to play, you know? You still have to be decent enough to give the team a chance to win games. 

Agreed.  And Williams is young enough to not be a detriment to that group.  And I feel like he might be the best of that group.  Williams is probably better but is always hurt.  But the primary reason would be getting rid of as much dead money as possible. 

4 hours ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I'd still like to send him to Miami for Preston Williams.  Gives us a WR with upside even though he has struggled but also gets us out of more of the dead money I believe. 

If Miami is game, that would be a great idea. Williams has been injury prone, but he fills a needed role. If he manages to stay healthy, he might just prove to be a piece worth keeping.

Edited by jrry32