Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

Did anyone expect him to look great this year? The only question I have about him is how much will the losing affect him mentally. The guy has done nothing but win since he was 16 years old. Will 2 or 3 straight years of bad losses make him lose passion for the game?

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

interestingly, PFF has a stat that estimates QB responsibility for sacks and has lawrence at 2nd worst in the league (as in, among QBs, he's responsible for the 2nd-highest percentage of his own sacks).

It sounds like their Pressure/Sacks percentage.  In college in 2020 Trevor Lawrence was a respectable 15.7% there, well ahead of Justin Fields at 25% (who, oddly enough, had the second best 40 time), behind Zach Wilson at 13.9%, Mac Jones at 12.3%, and the elusive Kellen Mond at 8.6%.

Just now, TitanSlim said:

This is honestly discouraging when thinking about the future outlook for Lawrence and the Jags. 

Yup. Shad Khan is — and there truly is no competition — the biggest idiot in this league when it comes to football ops. Absolutely brain dead.

• Like 2

(Baalke actually had a draft last year that has potential to be good, but all the reports about him meddling/causing issues in the building is going to cause serious issue with this coaching search. For that I am certain).

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

Yup. Shad Khan is — and there truly is no competition — the biggest idiot in this league when it comes to football ops. Absolutely brain dead.

Having a clueless owner has to be the most hopeless feeling in sports fandom. Just unfortunate for Jags fans and Lawrence.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

(Baalke actually had a draft last year that has potential to be good, but all the reports about him meddling/causing issues in the building is going to cause serious issue with this coaching search. For that I am certain).

So his drafts in SF were actually not bad. When he left, part of the reasons were that his drafts were just horrific. But after the fact, they turned out pretty good (except that 2012 draft which is possibly the worst in SF history, and the 2013 draft was not great). 

But when he got canned, a lot of guys just hadn't worked out. Jimmie Ward was an awful outside corner. Arik Armstead had gotten hurt, was basically a meh 3-4 DE that seemed out of place in the 4-3. Ronald Blair was out of place in the 3-4 that we ran while Baalke was there. Trent Brown was a 7th round project that was kind of inand out and showed some flashes in Baalke's last year. Tartt was basically a back up until 2018 because Eric Reid was in place. Lots of guys just took much longer to blossom than you would want (and some of them blossomed elsewhere). But if you go back and objectively look at the 49ers drafts from 2010 - 2016, they aren't awful except maybe those two years. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

So his drafts in SF were actually not bad. When he left, part of the reasons were that his drafts were just horrific. But after the fact, they turned out pretty good (except that 2012 draft which is possibly the worst in SF history, and the 2013 draft was not great). 

But when he got canned, a lot of guys just hadn't worked out. Jimmie Ward was an awful outside corner. Arik Armstead had gotten hurt, was basically a meh 3-4 DE that seemed out of place in the 4-3. Ronald Blair was out of place in the 3-4 that we ran while Baalke was there. Trent Brown was a 7th round project that was kind of inand out and showed some flashes in Baalke's last year. Tartt was basically a back up until 2018 because Eric Reid was in place. Lots of guys just took much longer to blossom than you would want (and some of them blossomed elsewhere). But if you go back and objectively look at the 49ers drafts from 2010 - 2016, they aren't awful except maybe those two years. 

As I said, this for me isn’t so much about his skills drafting and all about his poor reputation league wide AND his FA approach. Not sure if you remember how his approach was in SF, but he had zero interest in paying for premium talent last year and echoed that in pressers that he was all about “value”.

That approach isn’t going to work for this team and as I said, it likely alienates several HC candidates including Doug Pederson. 

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

As I said, this for me isn’t so much about his skills drafting and all about his poor reputation league wide AND his FA approach. Not sure if you remember how his approach was in SF, but he had zero interest in paying for premium talent last year and echoed that in pressers that he was all about “value”.

His FA approach is much, much better for a team that is close to the cap and just needs to fill some minor spots and maybe tries to extricate some value. When we were contenders in like 2012, this wasn't an issue. Getting Q for like a 5th or 6th or whatever it was. IN 2011, signing Carlos Rogers on the cheap was a super nice move (the extension we gave him afterward not so much). Whitner was a huge signing as well, Ted Ginn...he brought in a lot of guys that had huge impacts and provided excellent value. 

But I'll never forget when we lost a bunch of players and had a bunch of money and the only guy he signed was Zane Beadles lol. It was funny enough to laugh through the pain...but still hurt. 

When you're a team like the Jags, I agree....I think you need someone that goes balls to the wall and just signed people and brings talent in. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

His FA approach is much, much better for a team that is close to the cap and just needs to fill some minor spots and maybe tries to extricate some value. When we were contenders in like 2012, this wasn't an issue. Getting Q for like a 5th or 6th or whatever it was. IN 2011, signing Carlos Rogers on the cheap was a super nice move (the extension we gave him afterward not so much). Whitner was a huge signing as well, Ted Ginn...he brought in a lot of guys that had huge impacts and provided excellent value. 

But I'll never forget when we lost a bunch of players and had a bunch of money and the only guy he signed was Zane Beadles lol. It was funny enough to laugh through the pain...but still hurt. 

When you're a team like the Jags, I agree....I think you need someone that goes balls to the wall and just signed people and brings talent in. 

Just can’t wait to hear reports of HC candidates saying no thanks over the comes weeks. Unless fans everywhere are clueless and all these poor views of Baalke league wide are overblown, no idea how we get a legit HC candidate to jump onto this.