2022 Mock Draft Sims

kingseanjohn

I don't care that it's only week 3. If I don't start scouting early, I'll never get it done. I plan on posting one a week, but we'll see how that goes. I'm using Draft Network for my sims. Note that they have the Ravens owning our 3rd round pick, which should not be the case. So I improvised from who was available.

*My only assumption, unless noted, is that we either tag or re-sign Brown at LT. This will be the case for each post I make. Yes, there will likely be other extensions or cuts. But this post isn't meant to be about that topic -- that's coming in a couple weeks.

My top needs: More draft picks.... But seriously, mostly (in no order) WR, OL, DL, DB... Honestly, everywhere except QB and TE.

31. Jordan Battle, S Alabama - This looks like a deep S class and we need one or two. Thornhill (contract year) is the only S under contract in 2022. I'm not certain we retain Mathieu as much as I'd like to. Even if we do, Battle would be a clear upgrade to Sorensen/Watts and cheaper.

63. Amare Barno, DE Virginia Tech - Clark will most likely be cut for cap reasons which leaves us with Jones, Danna, Kaindoh, and Herring under contract. The latter 3 are rotational guys at best barring major improvements as the year goes on. Plus, Jones may have to play inside more with only Saunders and Wharton under contract. I actually really liked what tape I saw on Barno and could see him rising up the boards.

95. Reggie Roberson Jr., WR SMU - Hill and Hardman are the only two WR under contract and both will be in contract years. We need someone to develop and have under a cheap rookie contract. Fountain and Kemp are RFA so they'll likely be back for cheap one year rentals. I liked Roberson last year in a deep WR class, before he decided to return to school, so I definitely like him in a lesser class; especially at 95.

133. Nick Ford, IOL Utah - We need OL depth because only the *five starters and Allegretti are under contract going into next year. Ford played games at literally every OL position so he has that experience and flexibility we like. Ideally, he replaces Thuney after 2023 so we can get out of that contract.

205. Steven Gilmore, CB Marshall - Brother of Patriot Stephon. A developmental guy that could round out the 4th or 5th CB spot. Right now only Sneed and Fenton are under contract with Baker (RFA) and Lammons (ERFA) likely to be brought back for cheap.

238. Chris Rodriguez Jr., RB Kentucky - Only CEH is under contract next year. This pick isn't meant to replace CEH but rather be cheap depth/rotation. I think he'd fit in our offense rather well. I'd love McKinnon back if he keeps a similar cap number (850k) to round out the room.

247. Ventrell Miller, LB Florida - I don't know why he's ranked so low here. I think he's a 2nd-3rd round talent. Only Hitch, Bolton, and Gay are under contract in 2022. I assume Hitch will be extended if it's incredibly team friendly or (most likely) cut. Miller could push for playing time and give us a nice trio for the next few years.

It's that time of the week! Draft Network still believes in us and has us picking at 32 now instead of 31 but still no 3rd rounder. So that's what I'm working with, minus adding our pick at 96...

32. Adam Anderson, DE Georgia - I don't see him lasting this long. But he should bring a big upgrade to the pass rush. There was also a couple of LT available that I'd consider if we plan to trade or let Brown walk after 2022.

64. Tykee Smith, S Georgia - I didn't intend to go back to back Bulldogs, but the board fell this way. Smith would be a great 3rd safety or replacement for Mathieu.

96. DeAngelo Malone, DE Western Kentucky - Our pass rush is horrid, especially considering our DL takes up over 25% of the salary cap. We need to upgrade it in a major way with Clark most likely being cut. I like Malone's tools and he's constantly in the backfield.

134. Josh Jobe, CB Alabama - He appears to have the body type and aggressiveness that Spags likes. I think he'd have the fast track to the #4 spot next year behind Sneed/Fenton/Baker. Jobe could be a steal similar to Sneed at this point in the draft.

206. Tyler Goodson, RB Iowa - Depth guy that fits our offense fairly well. He's shifty, has good balance, and is a contributor in the running and passing game.

231. Marquis Hayes, OG Oklahoma - Depth player who should take over for Thuney in 2024... I really don't want to pay an OG 19+mil... I doubt that Hayes falls nearly this far. I think he'll end up in the 2nd-4th range. But if he's here, let's get an Oklahoma reunion going.

248. Damone Clark, LB LSU - Needs some work, but I think he'd be a year, two at most, away from being a solid contributor. He looks like he does well dropping in zone coverage and blitzing. His tackling is solid and would be a big upgrade from Niemann imo.

I have to say it one more time, but I really think we messed up in not drafting a WR each of the last two years. So, I imagine we'll be trading a 1st for someone that's due for a big contract... Ok, I hope not. But I'm guessing that we actually go after one of Robinson, Godwin, Fuller, Sanders, Sutton, or Mike Williams in free agency.

Doing this one a few days early because I'll be out of town all weekend. Our needs haven't changed and it still has us at pick 32.

*I read a report stating that one of the reasons Josh Gordon came to KC is because he wanted to remain here long term. So from this point on I am considering him as staying in KC on a team friendly deal and penciling him in at WR2.

32. Charles Cross, OT Mississippi State - My plan here is to tag Brown and let Cross learn for a year. Cross has real potential and would upgrade our depth for 2022. But the real plan is allowing us to get some much needed cap space and also get draft picks for Brown if we tag/trade in '23. I don't see this happening, but I'm exploring possibilities and players.

64. Lewis Cine, S Georgia - I see him as our new 3rd safety. I don't think he replaces Mathieu but rather the Sorensen role. A 2nd round pick for what should be the 3rd safety seems high, but we play enough nickle and dime type looks that it's worth it.

96. Ochaun Mathis, DE TCU - Developmental guy who can rotate in and contribute day one. He has some things to work on, but it all appears coachable. I need to watch more tape, but I had a good first impression.

134. Ty Fryfogle, WR Indiana - I like him for several reasons: route running, awareness, balance, and most importantly hands. He's a cheaper, younger player to take over WR4 or even WR2 if Gordon doesn't work out. He has room to grow and I think he'd be a great fit here.

204. Cade Hall, DE San Jose State - We need the depth and competition. I think he's a couple years away from being a primary rotational guy. But he has potential.

229. Decobie Durant, CB South Carolina State - Ballhawk that will likely need a year or two to develop. I could see him switching to S and being successful in a Mathieu type role.

246. Jerrion Ealy, RB Ole Miss - Depth player that can contribute in all phases in year one. His skillset reminds me of McKinnon and I think he could play that role well. I'd argue for him having the potential to be RB2 year one, but I don't know enough about his pass blocking or if he'd be able to learn enough of the playbook. But the skills are there.

• Like 1

Hope I’m not intruding, but thought I’d give it a shot.

32. Jordan Battle - S Alabama

63. Adam Anderson - Edge Georgia

96. Erik Ezukanama - WR Texas Tech

134. Tyler Goodson - RB Iowa

205. Noah Taylor - LB Virginia

232. Jack Sanborn - LB Wisconsin

252. Logan Bruss - OT Wisconsin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's Saturday, so let's do this! Draft Network still has the Chiefs at pick 32. I completely disagree with this so I am moving to PFN for the week. If the Chiefs blow out WFT or they are properly ranked next week, then I will move back to DN for rankings consistency.

16. DeMarvin Leal, DL Texas A&M - Honestly, I had trouble here. The board didn't fall to our needs at all. I wanted to reach for DE, but I'm not a fan of reaching. So I went with PFN ranked BPA, excluding IOL. Leal should immediately help the pass rush and provide another player that can move around to create mismatches. I saw hints of Chris Jones in his tape but not consistently. I think he's someone that would really need a year to excel but would definitely contribute year one. We have to improve the pass rush and collapse the pocket.

47. Romeo Doubs, WR Nevada - I can't say that I've heard of him until today (who watches Nevada?). But my goodness was I impressed. Route running, hands, speed, vision, etc. Draft this man tomorrow and let him learn the playbook. My main concern is what I've read about his hands, but I didn't see that myself in my limited scouting. Hill/Gordon/Hardman/Doubs/Kemp would be a fine core group for 2022.

78. Leon O'Neil Jr., S Texas A&M - I see him taking on Mathieu's role and I think he would start day one. I really don't think we retain Mathieu at this point.

115. Kenderick Duncan Jr., S Louisville - Back to back safeties? Yep. Again, only Thornhill is under contract in 2022 and it's a contract year so we need to get someone ready to go ASAP. O'Neil and Duncan could provide a nice tandem for the next few seasons while on rookie deals (Pollard/Page 2.0) with a cheap vet to back them up. In my mind, Duncan is the 3rd safety going into 2022.

209. Jermaine Johnson, DE Florida State - I really don't think he goes this late. But he'd provide a big upgrade in the rotation. I think he has potential to become the starter within 1-2 years.

228. Kyler Gordon, CB Washington - I like him as a developmental guy. His speed and agility give him a lot to work with. I think he could start in year two or three while being the 4th man in 2022 behind Sneed/Fenton/Baker.

230. Mike Rose, LB Iowa State - Situational defender who should become a core ST player. Plus we only have three LB under contract next year -- two if/when we cut Hitchens.

A day early, but I don't care. Draft Network has us at 30 now. I can live with that ranking after blowing out WFT.

30. Drake London, WR USC - This WR class is looking far better than I thought it would. I really liked London's routes, agility, balance, hands, size, and athleticism. He doesn't really fit the legion of zoom, but he's fast enough and appears to be consistent in a good way.

62. Verone McKinley III, S Oregon - Mathieu replacement. I really liked his aggressiveness while also being smart about it. His big hits are done with good form and should minimize the chance of injury for himself and others. Good speed and instincts.

94. Bubba Bolden, S Miami - Can you tell I think we need to address the safety position? Bolden isn't great right now but there's potential. I see him coming in as the 3rd or even 4th safety and potentially taking over Thornhill's spot in 2023 if we don't retain him. -- I'm not confident with this pick at all, but I'm not going to sit here all night scouting.

132. Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Edge Washington - When first watching tape I was unimpressed. But the longer I watched the more I liked him. Great motor, plays within the system, and relentless. I thought he was a one trick pony using power to get to the QB. Then he showed spin moves and rips when he needed to. I think he still needs to work on technique and varying his moves to be more unpredictable. However, he should contribute day one as a rotational edge player.

206. Damone Clark, LB LSU - I like him if used as a blitzer or in zone. He makes his tackles but I am slightly concerned with his wrapping up. Ideally our 3rd LB who should push for playing time and uses his speed on special teams.

235. Nick Brahms, IOL Auburn - Depth player who could potentially become the LG of the future. I think he's the future 6th/7th man worst case, which is valuable. Although with Andy's tendency to prefer vets at OL, I'm not sure he'd make the 53. Yes, I'm aware we're starting 2 rookies at C/RG. But that's more because of their near-elite talent and the lack thereof in their competition.

248. C.J. Verdell, RB Oregon - Fits what we like to do in the offense. I didn't see anything that I disliked. I hesitate to say that he could be RB1 here, but he has the potential. If anything, he'd do well in the RB by committee that we use. I don't see him lasting this long at all.

Note: DN still has the Ravens owning the Chiefs 3rd round pick. It's getting annoying having to go back. Also, their rankings of some players are also a bit perplexing. I'll probably switch back to PFN next week.

Did something basic to take a break from my real work. Plus, I don't plan on doing one this weekend since I'll be pretty busy. PFN offers some interesting trades and since rankings aren't updated yet, I figured I'd play with trades. I got offered a bounty for number 15 (Treylon Burks) so I took it and ran. With how the offseason is shaping up, we likely won't be contending. So I'm not solely focusing on winning now but rather long term sustained success.

57. Adam Anderson, DE Georgia - day one starter

80. Lewis Cine, S Georgia - day one starter

90. Zay Flowers, WR Boston College - day one contributor, 2023+ starter

107. Eric Gray, RB Oklahoma - RB depth/committee, potential RB1 in 2024

117. Marquis Hayes, OG Oklahoma - primary IOL depth, hopeful LG starter in 2024

237. Jack Sanborn, LB Wisconsin - 3rd LB

2023 picks added: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

I wish I would've kept track of every trade that I did. 2022 would be playing a lot of cheaper vets and current practice squad guys. Having 6 picks in the first 3 rounds in 2023 will give us plenty of ammo to maneuver up or down and setting us up for the foreseeable future as long as we don't whiff on picks.

• Like 1

Attempting to wash the taste out of my mouth.     Went a little deeper and did a little bit of the FA/Resignings.  

Cut/Trade
Frank Clark -  Cut
Anthony Hitchens - Cut
Chris Jones -    Trade  (pre roster bonus)   -   Jacksonville 3rd Round

Not Retained

Tyrann Mathieu
Jarran Reed
Mike Hughes
Daniel Sorensen
Chad Henne
Ben Niemann
Kyle Long
Blake Bell
Demarcus Robinson
Alex Okafor
Jerick McKinnon
Austin Blythe
Andrew Wylie
Marcus Kemp
Dorian O'Daniel
Armani Watts

Resigned

2021 2022 2023 2024  
Orlando Brown Franchise Tag $16,698,000        
Charvarius Ward 3 Year, 24 Mil. 13 Guar $6,000,000 $8,000,000 $10,000,000   Taron Johnson
Mike Remmers Vet Min          
Byron Pringle 2 Year, 7 Mil. 2.5 Guaranteed $2,900,000 $4,100,000     Keelan Cole
Darrell Williams 2 Year, 6 Mil. 3.25 Guaranteed $1,625,000 $4,375,000     Jamaal Williams
Michael Burton 2 Year, 4.5 Mil, 1 Mil Guar $1,500,000 $3,000,000      
Derrick Nnadi Vet Min $1,212,500        
James Winchester 3 Year, 3.6 Mil. 900k Guar $1,200,000 $1,200,000 $1,200,000    

Free Agency

Tim Patrick 2 Year, 13 Mil. 9 Mil Guar $4,800,000 $8,200,000     Marvin Jones

Draft

1st Nicholas Petit-Frere OT Ohio State
2nd Brandon Joseph S Northwestern
3rd(Jac) Boye Mafe Edge Minnesota
3rd Lewis Cine S Georgia
4th Isaac Taylor - Stuart CB USC
6th Tre Turner WR Virginia Tech
7th Min Chase Cota WR UCLA
7th NE Jeremiah Gemmel LB North Carolina
7th Damien Pierce RB Florida

Depth Chart 

QB Patrick Mahomes Shane Buechle       2
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire XXXX Darrel Williams Damien Pierce Michael Burton 5
WR Tyreek Hill Byron Pringle       2
WR Mecole Hardman Cornell Powell       2
LT Orlando Brown Nicholas Petit-Frere       2
LG Joe Thuney Mike Remmers       2
C Creed Humphrey Nick Allegretti       2
RG Trey Smith Mike Remmers       1
RT Lucas Niang Prince Tega-Wanogho       2
TE Travis Kelce Noah Gray Jody Fortson     3
WR Tim Patrick Tre Turner Chase Cota     3
LE Mike Danna XXX       2
UT Tershawn Wharton XXX       2
1T Derrick Nnadi Khalen Saunders       2
RE XXX Boye Mafe Joshua Kaindoh     3
LB Nick Bolton Darius Harris Jeremiah Gemmel     3
LB Willie Gay Jr. XXX Christian Bozeman     3
CB Charvarius Ward Deandre Baker       2
CB Rashad Fenton Isaac Taylor-Stewart       2
NB L'Jarius Sneed Chris Lammons       2
FS Juan Thornhill Brandon Joseph       2
SS Lewis Cine Devon Key       2
K Harrison Butker         1
P Tommy Townsend         1
LS James Winchester         1

Not a sexy defense,  but the goal was to rebuild from the top.    Still have about 14 Mil available,  to shore up a few spots probably Edge.       Projected to have about 80 Mil cap available in 2023 with this offseason.       Hill,  Hard, Thornhill,  O. Brown,  and Fenton the top FA's after 2022.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RedGold said:

Attempting to wash the taste out of my mouth.     Went a little deeper and did a little bit of the FA/Resignings.  

Cut/Trade
Frank Clark -  Cut
Anthony Hitchens - Cut
Chris Jones -    Trade  (pre roster bonus)   -   Jacksonville 3rd Round

Not Retained

Tyrann Mathieu
Jarran Reed
Mike Hughes
Daniel Sorensen
Chad Henne
Ben Niemann
Kyle Long
Blake Bell
Demarcus Robinson
Alex Okafor
Jerick McKinnon
Austin Blythe
Andrew Wylie
Marcus Kemp
Dorian O'Daniel
Armani Watts

Resigned

2021 2022 2023 2024  
Orlando Brown Franchise Tag $16,698,000        
Charvarius Ward 3 Year, 24 Mil. 13 Guar $6,000,000 $8,000,000 $10,000,000   Taron Johnson
Mike Remmers Vet Min          
Byron Pringle 2 Year, 7 Mil. 2.5 Guaranteed $2,900,000 $4,100,000     Keelan Cole
Darrell Williams 2 Year, 6 Mil. 3.25 Guaranteed $1,625,000 $4,375,000     Jamaal Williams
Michael Burton 2 Year, 4.5 Mil, 1 Mil Guar $1,500,000 $3,000,000      
Derrick Nnadi Vet Min $1,212,500        
James Winchester 3 Year, 3.6 Mil. 900k Guar $1,200,000 $1,200,000 $1,200,000    

Free Agency

Tim Patrick 2 Year, 13 Mil. 9 Mil Guar $4,800,000 $8,200,000     Marvin Jones

Draft

1st Nicholas Petit-Frere OT Ohio State
2nd Brandon Joseph S Northwestern
3rd(Jac) Boye Mafe Edge Minnesota
3rd Lewis Cine S Georgia
4th Isaac Taylor - Stuart CB USC
6th Tre Turner WR Virginia Tech
7th Min Chase Cota WR UCLA
7th NE Jeremiah Gemmel LB North Carolina
7th Damien Pierce RB Florida

Depth Chart 

QB Patrick Mahomes Shane Buechle       2
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire XXXX Darrel Williams Damien Pierce Michael Burton 5
WR Tyreek Hill Byron Pringle       2
WR Mecole Hardman Cornell Powell       2
LT Orlando Brown Nicholas Petit-Frere       2
LG Joe Thuney Mike Remmers       2
C Creed Humphrey Nick Allegretti       2
RG Trey Smith Mike Remmers       1
RT Lucas Niang Prince Tega-Wanogho       2
TE Travis Kelce Noah Gray Jody Fortson     3
WR Tim Patrick Tre Turner Chase Cota     3
LE Mike Danna XXX       2
UT Tershawn Wharton XXX       2
1T Derrick Nnadi Khalen Saunders       2
RE XXX Boye Mafe Joshua Kaindoh     3
LB Nick Bolton Darius Harris Jeremiah Gemmel     3
LB Willie Gay Jr. XXX Christian Bozeman     3
CB Charvarius Ward Deandre Baker       2
CB Rashad Fenton Isaac Taylor-Stewart       2
NB L'Jarius Sneed Chris Lammons       2
FS Juan Thornhill Brandon Joseph       2
SS Lewis Cine Devon Key       2
K Harrison Butker         1
P Tommy Townsend         1
LS James Winchester         1

Not a sexy defense,  but the goal was to rebuild from the top.    Still have about 14 Mil available,  to shore up a few spots probably Edge.       Projected to have about 80 Mil cap available in 2023 with this offseason.       Hill,  Hard, Thornhill,  O. Brown,  and Fenton the top FA's after 2022.

First round pick on a back up OT with all our needs and hopes of re-signing Brown?  That’s my big issue.  Now if you were thinking sign and trade Brown, different ballgame.