2022 Mock Draft Sims

kingseanjohn

Just now, EMAW_KSU said:

First round pick on a back up OT with all our needs and hopes of re-signing Brown?  That’s my big issue.  Now if you were thinking sign and trade Brown, different ballgame.

I don’t really want to resign Brown.    I don’t believe in starting rookie OL,  and part of the reason we got stuck in this past off-season is because we avoiding adding talent to the OL for so long.    Tagging Brown,  allows us to groom a LT.. while allowing him to improve and test FA the following year.      

I think the offense is more complete with this off-season.   And moving towards 2023.  We’d have all our picks,  80+ Mil in cap space,  with only Hill to resign on the offensive side of the ball. 

On 10/25/2021 at 9:25 PM, RedGold said:

I don’t really want to resign Brown.    I don’t believe in starting rookie OL,  and part of the reason we got stuck in this past off-season is because we avoiding adding talent to the OL for so long.    Tagging Brown,  allows us to groom a LT.. while allowing him to improve and test FA the following year.     

I'm really leaning towards tagging Brown with non-exclusive tag and then drafting/grooming a replacement this year. Then non-exclusive again in 2023 with intention to trade.

• Like 1

A little stressed out so I'm going to take a break from the outside world and do one more with a tad more effort this week. Using PFN still, but not doing trades this time. At this point, I'm coming to terms that Josh Gordon is just another Kelvin Benjamin, Shady McCoy, LeVeon Bell, etc -- A vet that Veach brings in mid season that contributes nothing despite the hype the team puts out. So WR is bumped up my needs list yet again from here on out.

16. George Karlaftis, DE Purdue - I love his relentless motor. Watching his tape, I'm reminded of TJ Watt (who I also loved). If he's there, I take him 9.5/10 times. Zero hesitation. High chance he's number one on my board if we pick in the 12-20 range.

47. Justyn Ross, WR Clemson - Prior to his 2019 spinal injury, he was a for sure 1st rounder. Like Trey Smith, his medicals will likely determine where he goes. I wouldn't spend a mid 1st on him, but he's worth a 2nd round flier. If healthy, he's the X WR we need as long as the mental aspect of the game is there.

78. Kenneth Walker, RB Michigan State - Earlier than I'd like to go RB. But I like what he brings. His agility, power, vision, and effort really stand out to me. Plus, he does the little things like switching the ball to the outside hand. Immediate RB2 in a RB by committee imo and should supplant CEH as RB1 in 2023+. There's near 0% chance I extend CEH after his rookie deal unless it's for vet minimum at this point.

115. Sterling Weatherford, S Miami - In this scenario, Weatherford plays the valuable 3rd safety/Sorensen role while Sneed moves to a hybrid spot, essentially primarily playing the Mathieu role. That may give a slight drop off to CB play, but S play would be solid.

209. Olakunle Fatukasi, LB Rutgers - I need to see more. But he's a guy that appears to be pretty good at everything but excels at nothing. I think he could develop into a solid, all around lunch-pail type player that we love but never gets the accolades. He screams quality depth and ST ace at first viewing.

236. Charleston Rambo, WR Oklahoma - Developmental player and someone who has the potential to contribute early. I haven't given up on Cornell Powell quite yet because WR tends to take 2+ seasons to develop in our system for whatever reason. I think he can make the 53 year one, unlike Powell, and the two of the them could be the new Pringle/Kemp (depth/ST).

239. Braxton Jones, OT Southern Utah - Developmental guy. Not sure he'd make the 53 tbh. But he's an athletic guy with good size. Worth a flier to see if he can develop into good depth or potential starter.

Traded next years 1st and 2nd rd pick for #3 and #64 overall

• KC
    Kayvon Thibodeaux
    EDGE Oregon
    trade icon
  • KC
    Haskell Garrett
    DT Ohio State
    trade icon
  • KC
    Xavier Henderson
    S Michigan State

• KC
    Marcel Brooks
    WR TCU

• KC
    Jack Sanborn
    LB Wisconsin

• KC
    Ventrell Miller
    LB Florida

Edited by Kirill

5 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Another year, another wasted draft?

Another year of waiting. Another year of getting players acclimated to the NFL game. Another year..........another year..........

Not sure your point, is a mock draft thread Bud.  Unless you mean trading up is a waste.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to do one this past week but I never could sit down and finish it. So I'm just going to do this mid-week and count it for two weeks. Or maybe I'll do one Saturday that's trade intensive. Who knows. I'm using TDN for this.

18. Ahmad Gardner, CB Cincinnati - I really don't want to go CB in the 1st. But the board was ugly and he fits BPA and CB is a need. I love how often he gets his head around looking for the ball. He has great size and keeps up with his man consistently. I think he'd fit our scheme really well. Easy day one starter imo.

49. Thayor Munford, OT/OG Ohio State - Another pick, another ugly board. As I said in the OP, I assume Brown is tagged. My goal is to let Munford sit and learn for a year so he can take over LT in 2023 and trade Brown. Is he a NFL LT though? I can't say with 100% certainty. Worst case, he takes over at LG so we can get out of paying Thuney 19mil/year and he's solid depth that can move outside if needed. The 2nd round is likely too early for me to pick him in April tbh, but not too early for a team needing an immediate starter at OG.

80. Jalen Tolbert, WR South Alabama - He has the size that we're lacking. Love his concentration, hands, balance, and physicality. He's good at finding holes in the zone. My only knock so far is that he's only played lesser competition. But he's dominated, which is what you want to see. I'd need to see more tape, but this guy could be a steal.

117. David Ojabo, DE Michigan - Ok, I need to watch more Michigan games. Hutchinson gets all the hype, but this kid has shown that he can play in his first year really getting reps. Through the first 9 games Ojabo has 8 sacks, 8 tackles for loss, 3 pass deflections, 4 forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery. He's a freak athlete that should only improve with experience. I don't see how he falls this far. His potential alone may bump him up to the 2nd as of right now imo. Heck, Rousseau went 30th with one year of production, so who knows. But watch him if you have the time on Saturday. Day one starter.

207. Xavier Thomas, DE Clemson - He's having a down year and that benefits us here. Love his initial burst, speed, play recognition, tackling, block shedding, and damn near everything else. He has stuff to work on for sure, but his tools are exciting. Back to back DE may seem excessive, but Danna, Kaindoh, and Herring just won't cut it. Thomas would clearly upgrade our rotation.

230. Mohamoud Diabate, LB Florida - Primarily depth and ST player. I'd love to say he'll be our 3rd LB, but deep down I know Niemann will be back on a cheap deal and take that role. Diabate should take Niemann's spot after a year or two in the system. I think he can contribute year one in pass rushing situations and be effective at it.

236. Joey Porter Jr, DB Penn State - He plays CB at Penn State and does a decent job. I think he could move to safety and be even better. I'd like to see him fill Mathieu's role. Ultimately, he's someone that I think you could/should move around to create mismatches and disguise alignments.

I don't think WR or S is enough of an upgrade with this draft. I do love adding Gardner, Ojabo, and Thomas though. We just have too many needs and not enough picks. Which brings me to my next thing. I just realized that this hasn't updated for the Ingram trade. That means we no longer own pick 207 in this scenario. Fantastic.

Unrealistic Mock Friday.

• KC
    Trevor Penning
    OT Northern Iowa

• KC
    Boye Mafe
    EDGE Minnesota
    trade icon
  • KC
    Zay Flowers
    WR Boston College
    trade icon
  • KC
    Erik Ezukanma
    WR Texas Tech
    trade icon
  • KC
    Smoke Monday
    S Auburn
    trade icon
  • KC
    Zion Tupuola-Fetui
    EDGE Washington

• KC
    Damone Clark
    LB LSU
    trade icon
  • KC
    Joey Porter Jr.
    CB Penn State
    trade icon
  • KC
    Micah McFadden
    LB Indiana
    trade icon
  • 2023 TEN 2nd
  • 2023 IND 2nd
  • 2023 MIN 2nd

Nothing in depth here. Just tried to get some quality players and extra picks for the future. Used PFN. As you can tell, their rankings are a bit different than TDN.

51. David Ojabo, Edge Michigan

60. Romeo Doubs, WR Nevada

92. Tykee Smith, S Georgia

104. Erik Ezukanma, WR Texas Tech

121. Nick Broeker, OT Mississippi

132. Kyler Gordon, CB Washington

186. Damone Clark, LB LSU

232. Jack Sanborn, LB Wisconsin

2023 picks: Carolina 1st & 2nd round, NE 2nd round, Cincinnati 5th round

I'd be pretty happy with this atm. I see three day one starters (Ojabo, Doubs, Smith) plus several year one role players (Ezukanma, Gordon, Clark, Sanborn). Only Broeker should have trouble seeing the field. It also gives us two 1sts and three 2nds to play with in 2023.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:05 PM, kingseanjohn said:

117. David Ojabo, DE Michigan - Ok, I need to watch more Michigan games. Hutchinson gets all the hype, but this kid has shown that he can play in his first year really getting reps. Through the first 9 games Ojabo has 8 sacks, 8 tackles for loss, 3 pass deflections, 4 forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery. He's a freak athlete that should only improve with experience. I don't see how he falls this far. His potential alone may bump him up to the 2nd as of right now imo. Heck, Rousseau went 30th with one year of production, so who knows. But watch him if you have the time on Saturday. Day one starter.

4 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 TFL today  

No way he lasts this long. Easy 2nd round pick that could easily slide into the 1st. 

On 11/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, EMAW_KSU said:
On 11/1/2021 at 3:14 PM, mayanfootball said:

Another year, another wasted draft?

Another year of waiting. Another year of getting players acclimated to the NFL game. Another year..........another year..........

Not sure your point, is a mock draft thread Bud.  Unless you mean trading up is a waste.

Guess i'm frustrated with "always waiting till 'next year'", to get holes filled and get players up to speed. Seems like we never get the holes filled

It might be obvious I'm a fan of getting as many picks in the 3rd-5th Round ranges.

• KC
    David Bell
    WR Purdue
    trade icon
  • KC
    Boye Mafe
    EDGE Minnesota
    trade icon
  • KC
    Verone McKinley
    S Oregon

• KC