What would you do to fix the Giants if you were GM

ny92mike

Curious to know what changes you'd make to the Giants if given the GM position.  I asked this question to @minutemancl in the weekly matchup thread, but figured it really needed it's own discussion.  I love doing GM mock drafts which is partly why I'm asking this question, but really looking to see where you guys stand.

This is what @minutemancl would do.

I'd get rid of Judge and the entire coaching staff, unless Joe Brady (my new HC) wants to keep one or more of them. I'd force Chris Mara, and any/all other Maras, out of the personnel department. I'd hire some young upstart out of CLE or BAL to be my assistant GM. I'd trade Saquon, let Peppers walk, and because DG made a mess of the 2022 cap, that'd be basically all I could do. But in the draft, I'm giving Joe Brady free reign of my first choice depending on his roster evaluation. You want your guy at QB? No problem. You want a pass rusher? You got him. Then I am loading up on OL, at least 3, and pass rushers. Only those 2 positions and a later round RB.

If we are being honest, the roster is talented. Leonard Williams, James Bradberry, Blake Martinez, Logan Ryan, Xavier Mckinney, Dexter Lawrence, Adoree Jackson, Andrew Thomas, Kenny Golladay, Sterling Shepard, Darius Slayton, Kyle Rudolph, and Nick Gates are all genuinely (varying) levels of good. We still don't know about this year's rookies, but it looks like we may have something in Azeez Ojulari as well. What's missing? Pass rushers and OL. I would trade back multiple times in the draft for additional picks and just take as many as I could get. The draft is crapshoot. It doesn't matter how good you are at evaluating, you are going to get some wrong, especially after the first 2 rounds. Give yourself more chances. I don't care if I have to move back 20 spots if it gives me 2 shots instead of 1. That's a huge benefit to me.

I'd also immediately trade Evan Engram, and if I don't get any bites, I cut him. For his own good and ours. He is done in NY.

What changes would you guys make?

• Like 1

If I were the GM...

First we'd have a party to celebrate the release of Dave Gettleman.  Long overdue if you ask me.

Second, I'd fire Jason Garrett or demote him to QB coach.  His play calling just doesn't fit this team.

Third, I'd look to trade Barkley and before the trade deadline, I'd look to trade Engram this year.  I believe both of these players have value, they won't land us first round picks or even 2nd rounders but they would allow us to trade for other players.  Our current cap situation shocks me, according to OTC we are projected to have $5,058,614 in available cap.  

Our free agency consist of the following:

Player Pos.
Nate Solder RT
Austin Johnson IDL
Billy Price C
Evan Engram TE
Jabrill Peppers S
John Ross WR
Will Hernandez RG
Levine Toilolo TE
Mike Glennon QB
Nate Ebner S
Danny Shelton IDL
Reggie Ragland LB
Elijhaa Penny RB
Lorenzo Carter EDGE
Quincy Wilson CB
Casey Kreiter LS
Matt Skura C
Joshua Kalu S
C.J. Board WR
Josh Jackson CB
Cullen Gillaspia FB
Wes Martin RG
Kyle Murphy RG
Keion Crossen CB

Which leaves holes:

• Right Tackle (unless Matt Peart can step it up).
  • Nose Tackle
  • Center
  • TE (unless Kyle works out)
  • Guard (Hernandez is finally playing decent and it's his last year) 

Team is going to need cap space and right now the only way to create that is to unload some of these higher priced contracts.  The problem is players making big money that if released or traded would actually free up cap are James Bradberry, Blake Martinez, Sterling Shepard and Kyle Rudolph.  Lessor contract savings would include Riley Dixon, Booker, Gates (whom may never play again, sadly).  

Why?  Because the team is currently 14 million in dead money.

Name Cap Number
Golden Tate $4,705,881
Deandre Baker $2,837,532
Kevin Zeitler $2,500,000
Ifeadi Odenigbo $1,000,000
Casey Kreiter $337,500
Montre Hartage $258,333
B.J. Hill $257,379
George Asafo-Adjei $202,500
Jonotthan Harrison $200,000
Ryan Connelly $168,088
Ryan Anderson $137,500
Zach Fulton $137,500
Ted Larsen $103,333
C.J. Board $102,222
Isaac Yiadom $100,000
Dante Pettis $100,000
TOTAL $14,057,020

Just blows my mind that this gm still has a job, the way he handles the cap should be enough reason to fire him.

• Like 2

I would use every draft pick on EDGE rushers until I have 3 very good ones. Seriously. Simply put we can't put teams away because we can't affect the QB. Pass rush creates turnovers. Turnovers gives us short fields and short fields gives us points. 

The Giants had one drive start beyond their own 25 against the Broncos. They had 2 against the Football Team including the big turnover at the end of the game. They had 3 against the Falcons but only 2 beyond their own 30 and one of those 2 was a one play kneel down to end the half.

That is staggering. You can look at the box score and say we've only given up 30pts once in 3 games but the reality is the defense cannot make plays when it counts. 

Yes, of course the offense could be better. Saquon needs to hit holes hard and stop looking to bounce one outside for 60 yards. Garrett needs to stop calling plays. Engram needs to retire. But they look a whole lot different if the defense was giving them a few more short fields IMO.

• Like 1

The Maras have to go, or stay out of the football operations. After that I want to turn the page and hire a young offensive-minded coach who can inspire and connect with players. Doesn't have to be a cartoon character like Jim Harbaugh but he's got to have some fire in his belly. Then I need a good staff to help with the tough decisions. I can handle office work and press conferences but I'm no football expert, that's for sure.

Basically we need to start over. Let go of Saquon, Peppers, Engram and a bunch of other guys who aren't making plays. Probably Daniel Jones too, unless he looks really good this season and doesn't ask for a ton of money. If he goes, trade for a game manager type who can fill in for the next few years without breaking the bank. The '22 Draft will be mostly about offensive linemen and edge rushers. Teams that get bullied in the trenches and can't pressure the quarterback simply don't succeed. Once we've laid that foundation, then we can think about flashy picks like franchise QBs and big name receivers.

I wouldn't be opposed to some cheerleaders either. 😄

• Like 1

We really can’t make a lot of moves with how the roster was badly constructed. We just need to hit on hopefully our 2 top 10 picks and the rest of the draft for once. We can try trading off players like Barkley, but we will be getting back penny on the dollar. Jones has decent value if he plays well this year, but it still be a sell low.

I like the strategy of drafting pass rushes all the time. Teach them to play OL as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

I would use every draft pick on EDGE rushers until I have 3 very good ones. Seriously. Simply put we can't put teams away because we can't affect the QB. Pass rush creates turnovers. Turnovers gives us short fields and short fields gives us points. 

Lack of true pass rushers is definitely an issue.  Secondary can't cover as long as they are being asked to.  

• Like 2

Our problem has been the same problem for the last yen years, we have a horrible offensive line. If I was made the GM today, first thing is get rid of Garret. Second I would start Matt Peart the rest of the year, we need to know if he can be the RT of the future. For those that say they already know he can't. Andrew Thomas looked horrible the first half of last season then improved in the second half, there is no way for Matt Peart to improve if he does not get the snaps. 

After that for the draft would focus on offensive line and pass rush and give this current team one more year. The Giants game plan made no sense this year. Your two most important players are Jones and Barkley, in order for them to play at their best  they need a quality offensive line. The Giants get rid of their most consistent  O-linemen in Zeitler, then try to improve every other area on the team but the one unit that needed it most. This is called setting Barkley and Jones up to fail. 

If the Giants couldn't win after getting a quality offensive line then I would blow everything up the year after and have full confidence my replacement running back and QB could do the job because I would have a good offensive line for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't stop thinking about our salary cap situation.  And maybe it isn't a major situation, as teams always seem to dig money up during the offseason.  Nevertheless, I'm looking at next season cap and what holes we are projected to have in the '22 season.  According to overthecap.com our projected cap next season is roughly 2.7 million.

So what STARTER positions will we be thin heading into the offseason?

Offense

• Quarterback
    • Starter
      • I really believe that Daniel Jones has taken a step forward this season, and would have no issue starting him next season.  A new coaching staff could have him learning a new system, if so lets hope it's a smooth transition.
    • Depth
      • None listed.
    • FA
      • Mike Glennon
  • Running back
    • Starter
      • Saquon Barkley
        • The front office did apply the 5th year option, but Barkley's injury history presents a potential need to start looking at draft prospects.
    • Depth
      • Devontae Booker & Gary Brightwell
    • FA 
      • None
  • Fullback
    • Starter
      • None
    • Depth
      • None
    • FA
      • Both players, Cullen Gillaspia and Elijhaa Penny will be free agents.
  • Tight End
    • Starter
      • If Kyle can stay healthy I won't put a huge need at this position.
    • Depth
      • Kaden Smith & Rysen John
    • FA
      • Evan Engram & Levine Toilolo
  • Wide Receiver
    • Starter
      • We are solid here with Golladay & Toney
    • Depth
      • Sterling Shepard, Kadarius Toney, Darius Slayton & Collin Johnson
    • FA
      • John Ross & C.J. Board
        • Would like to see both of these players resigned, but can see another team stealing one if not both away from us.
  • Left Tackle
    • Starter
      • Andrew Thomas, say no more.
    • Depth
      • None
    • FA
      • None 
  • Left Guard
    • Starter
      • ???
    • Depth
      • Shane Lemieux & Ben Bredeson
    • FA
      • None
  • Center
    • Starter
      • ???  Hate to even think it but Nick Gates may never get back on the field.
    • Depth
      • None
    • FA
      • Billy Price, Matt Skura and Jonotthan Harrison
  • Right Guard
    • Starter
      • ??? Will Hernandez is a free agent, so unless the Giants figure out how to extend his contract prior to FA or he's gone.  Not really sure we've got the funds to even attempt it. 
    • Depth
      • Wes Martin
    • FA
      • Will Hernandez & Kyle Murphy
  • Right Tackle
    • Starter
      • ??? I'll put Matt Peart in this spot as I'm just not ready to give up on this kid.
    • Depth
      • Other than Nate Solder, who is technically a free agent next season (voidable year).
    • FA
      • Nate Solder

Ran out of time to provide more detail on the defense and special teams but here is the active list and below that is the FA listing.

34DE Leonard Williams Dexter Lawrence Raymond Johnson III      
DT N/A N/A N/A      
34OLB Azeez Ojulari Oshane Ximines Elerson Smith Quincy Roche    
ILB Blake Martinez Cam Brown Carter Coughlin T.J. Brunson Tae Crowder  
LB Justin Hilliard          
CB James Bradberry Adoree' Jackson Sam Beal Aaron Robinson Darnay Holmes Rodarius Williams
S Logan Ryan Xavier McKinney Julian Love      
K Graham Gano          
P Riley Dixon          
LS            

34DE      
DT Austin Johnson Danny Shelton  
34OLB Lorenzo Carter    
ILB Reggie Ragland    
LB      
CB Quincy Wilson Josh Jackson Keion Crossen
S Jabrill Peppers Nate Ebner Joshua Kalu
K      
P      
LS Casey Kreiter    

If we could land some gems in this draft at edge and offensive line...We've heard this before, but maybe we get lucky and get a GM that actually likes addressing the needs of the team next season.  Sadly, if some of these guys under contract next year don't step up on the line, we basically will need to find 4 starters as well as depth for this O Line.

i give up GIF

7 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Easy fix, trade Jones and Saquon (as soon as he recovers or if a team overpays). Bring in Kellen Moore or Todd Bowles as HC. Find a GM most importantly.

Might as well lose Peppers, Solder, and Engram too. And get a GM who will draft according to our needs, instead of just saying he will and then blowing a 1st round pick on a running back when we have no line to block for him.

I would like to see a GM that is willing to admit his mistakes.. not from a vocal press conference standpoint but from a moving on from players way earlier. Even if you're wrong on a few guys it's never going to be worse than having multiple ineffective guys on your team. Saquon is an obvious punching bag but let's be honest, we'd all love to have him healthy on our team and we're better with him. Many people just didn't like when he was drafted. 

I'm talking about the Evan Engrams, Lorenzo Carters, the Nate Solders (2 years ago), the Sterling Shepards. It seems like our decision point is, "is the guy decent? lock him up for 5 years"

We need to be less loyal and treat these guys like assets. The NFL has tried to limit this by having the team trading the player away having to eat more of his guaranteed money but even still, holding onto the guys is just delaying the inevitable. 

The next GM needs to stop valuing iDL, ILB, safety, RB and TE. Those positions are too easy to find serviceable guys and more importantly, having very good/great players there doesn't help you win. QB, WR, OL, EDGE, CB. Those are the positions. 

As far as this trade deadline goes, I would want to see most of the guys I listed above but Saquon, Slayton, Shepard, Engram, Rudolph, LWilliams, Lawrence, Carter, Ximines, Bradberry, Jackson, Ryan and Peppers should all be on the block. They're obviously not all getting traded but so few of them are going to be a part of the solution anyway so just get something for them while you can. 

• Like 1