First Quarter Mock 2022

Madmike90

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am saying that Daniels getting smaller and quicker isn't going to make him "fit" better in what Daboll does.

He will still be a mediocre pass blocker who struggles with power. Even more so if you have him lose weight.

You should know better than most that the two are not mutually linked...losing weight does not automatically mean you lose strength & power...sometimes it massively helps.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Problem being we don't have the assets to do this given we have plenty of other needs.

You have to re-sign Daniels. You are investing more assets in average OLmen. 

You can keep Daniels if he was still on his rookie deal, but paying Daniels starter money leaves you short on resources.

Spend the Daniels money at nickel and draft an OLmen high.

You should know better than most that the two are not mutually linked...losing weight does not automatically mean you lose strength & power...sometimes it massively helps.

For Daniels it does.

We have seen a lighter version of him and he is underpowered. He is less underpowered now, but still very average.

I do not know why we would go through this trouble and pay a guy who isn't that good at his best?

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

You have to re-sign Daniels. You are investing more assets in average OLmen. 

You can keep Daniels if he was still on his rookie deal, but paying Daniels starter money leaves you short on resources.

Spend the Daniels money at nickel and draft an OLmen high.

There aren't many if any better talents we could sign than Daniels for similar money...to me we need to resign him then still draft a centre.

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

For Daniels it does.

We have seen a lighter version of him and he is underpowered. He is less underpowered now, but still very average.

I do not know why we would go through this trouble and pay a guy who isn't that good at his best?

I think you under rate him a good bit...I also think there aren't many better guys we could sign out there.

I think you under rate him a good bit...I also think there aren't many better guys we could sign out there.

I think you over rate him. He is a league average starter.

The Pace era has been crippled by his paying of average OLMen. We paid Charles Leno and Bobbie Massie and then stopped looking to upgrade them… and couldn’t figure out why our line was never good.

You shouldn’t pay average starters you should be constantly trying to upgrade them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I think you over rate him. He is a league average starter.

The Pace era has been crippled by his paying of average OLMen. We paid Charles Leno and Bobbie Massie and then stopped looking to upgrade them… and couldn’t figure out why our line was never good.

You shouldn’t pay average starters you should be constantly trying to upgrade them.

A league average starter is better than most guys you will get on the OL these days...there is a massive lack of talent out there at the position and given up an average starter (which I disagree with as I feel he is a good starter) would be a terrible idea...not everyone is going to be a superstar and chasing that pipe dream will land you in a world of trouble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

A league average starter is better than most guys you will get on the OL these days...there is a massive lack of talent out there at the position and given up an average starter (which I disagree with as I feel he is a good starter) would be a terrible idea...not everyone is going to be a superstar and chasing that pipe dream will land you in a world of trouble.

Not chasing superstars. Chasing better than average.

We have accepted average on the OL for a long time and our offense has not been good as a result of that and other factors.

For Daniels it would depend on price. I can spend 10 million/season in better places. 

Just now, WindyCity said:

We have accepted average on the OL for a long time and our offense has not been good as a result of that and other factors.

For Daniels it would depend on price. I can spend 10 million/season in better places. 

Daniels isn't making $10 million a season...I reckon we get him for around $6 million which is fine for what he is...a young player who has been a good start but still has upside and potential...bottom line is there just aren't many of those guys hitting free agency and it wouldn't should me at all if we didn't all Daniels to either by resigning him some time soon.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am with you on this one.

Daniels if fine, but not expensive Daniels.   Whatever expensive is.

Keep drafting OTs and kick them inside.   College guards aren't strong enough to play in NFL in a lot of cases. 

College coaches put their best OL at OT and C and worst ones at OG because they can help the OGs if necessary with the better players.  Drafting OGs is picking from the weaker pool of talent.

There are exceptions, but that is generally true.

• Like 2

To me Daniels is our new Garza. If he is the weak link of your OL then you have a good line. We saw this in the Super Bowl run.

But if he is the best or one of the best then you have a **** OL. We saw that for years too.

I have no issue re-signing him but it has to be a deal that benefits the Bears, or I'm looking elsewhere without a second glance. I'll re-sign Ifedi for the OG spot or kick Borom in first. In fact the $3 mil deal per year deal for Ifedi attracts me more than $5 mil for Daniels.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

To me Daniels is our new Garza. If he is the weak link of your OL then you have a good line. We saw this in the Super Bowl run.

But if he is the best or one of the best then you have a **** OL. We saw that for years too.

I have no issue re-signing him but it has to be a deal that benefits the Bears, or I'm looking elsewhere without a second glance. I'll re-sign Ifedi for the OG spot or kick Borom in first. In fact the $3 mil deal per year deal for Ifedi attracts me more than $5 mil for Daniels.

Yeah you're all right on this.

Next big picture question is: when do the OL rookies play, and then can they actually play? Would clarify a lot of things for this team going forward, assuming Fields looks good.  Would be very nice to have to acquire interior guys instead of interior guys plus BOTH tackles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Yeah you're all right on this.

Next big picture question is: when do the OL rookies play, and then can they actually play? Would clarify a lot of things for this team going forward, assuming Fields looks good.  Would be very nice to have to acquire interior guys instead of interior guys plus BOTH tackles.

Idk but I'm excited to see them. I'd be happy to use Borom as a blocking TE if that's what it takes to get him on the field. Kmet can be the move end, lead block and be the chesspiece that gets shifted all over to help figure out coverage. I've never been the biggest fan of his but the kid is smart as hell from everything I've read. Should allow some easier mismatches to be made for whoever our QB is that week. I would even be happy to see Peters at C, Jenkins at LT, Borom at big-*** TE and Bars as a mammoth FB (if Peters had any experience there).

Get the big boys out there and bully people 7 or 8 times a game

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Idk but I'm excited to see them. I'd be happy to use Borom as a blocking TE if that's what it takes to get him on the field. Kmet can be the move end, lead block and be the chesspiece that gets shifted all over to help figure out coverage. I've never been the biggest fan of his but the kid is smart as hell from everything I've read. Should allow some easier mismatches to be made for whoever our QB is that week. I would even be happy to see Peters at C, Jenkins at LT, Borom at big-*** TE and Bars as a mammoth FB (if Peters had any experience there).

Get the big boys out there and bully people 7 or 8 times a game

problem is nagy doesn't know how to use chess pieces. hell, i don't think he knows how to use checkers pieces