Kirk Cousins andTaylor Heiny, will we make the same mistake again?

mar29020

On 10/4/2021 at 11:40 PM, Woz said:

If he's playing well for the rest of the season, you're kidding yourself if you think they can wait until 2023 to deal with his contract situation.

classic washington would be for us to let him play his way into a big deal then franchise him 3 years in a row.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

classic washington would be for us to let him play his way into a big deal then franchise him 3 years in a row.

Don't worry, we can't use franchise tag on Scherff and Heinecke and Scherff will try to play for at least 5 more years.

3 hours ago, offbyone said:

Don't worry, we can't use franchise tag on Scherff and Heinecke and Scherff will try to play for at least 5 more years.

Scherff is going to be 30 in December, given his injury history - especially with his knees - I’ll be shocked if he plays 5 more years in the NFL. I’ll also be shocked if he’s back in Washington after this season. He repeatedly turned down offers to stay in DC just like Kirk did, now we don’t know exactly how all that was structured so it could be like Kirk’s offers that really weren’t as good as they sounded when you broke them down but, I don’t see Scherff here next year.

Our starting RG is likely to be Wes S, Saahdiq Charles or someone we sign/draft who isn’t on our team right now.

I also think we’re getting way ahead of ourselves in talking that Heinicke is worth a big long term extension or a franchise tag. He’s got to be more consistent to get there. Reviewing some of his throws even from his win of last Sunday & vs the Giants, it’s scary some of the decisions he’s making. I like the guy, but he has to improve his decision making if he wants to be anything more than a career back up in the league.

If he plays like has more often than not, I think he will be here for the long haul.

If he plays like he did vs the Bills, his leash could be shorter.

If we're floating at a record of .500 or better? He will be safe, considering our ridiculous schedule.

But if we're 1-5 or something like that during any part of our schedule? It won't take much to see Allen or Fitz come right back.

Say what you want about QB stats guys...QBR, his fault, their fault, the defense, etc.

Wins is what matters.

If you're Rex Grossman & you win? You play

That's why it's VERY important for Taylor, to win at least win 3 of the next 6 games on the schedule.

And I don't care if the schedule reads Chiefs, Chiefs, Chiefs, Chiefs, Chiefs, Chiefs.

You have to win in this league. Losing gets coaches fired.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

If he plays like has more often than not, I think he will be here for the long haul.

If we're floating at a record of .500 or better? He will be safe, considering our ridiculous schedule.

But if we're 1-5 or something like that during any part of our schedule? It won't take much to see Allen or Fitz come right back.

Say what you want about QB stats guys...QBR, his fault, their fault, the defense, etc.

Wins is what matters.

That's why it's VERY important for Taylor, to win at least win 3 of the next 6 games on the schedule.

And I don't care if the schedule reads Chiefs, Chiefs, Chiefs, Chiefs, Chiefs, Chiefs.

This is very true, the question becomes if Heinicke continues to play well & we lose bc we continue to have one of the worst defenses in the NFL like I don’t know 2013-2019, will the coaches continue to play the QB bc he’s playing well or bench him bc the team is losing?

So, while wins matter, why the team is losing should matter more. If Heinicke isn’t the reason we are losing but it’s bc our secondary can’t cover my grandma in a wheelchair and she’s 89, then Heinicke should continue to play.

How a QB is playing himself matters, a QB can play a perfect game & the team can lose if the players on defense don’t do their jobs also. This team won’t consistently win jack until our back 7 gets their act together.

Edited by turtle28

On 10/4/2021 at 8:04 AM, MikeT14 said:

We've got the rest of this year and next year to see what we have. But, and I figured this would happen, we're going to have the divide of those of those that see him for being a competent player who is a great back up, and those of us that think we can win it all with him. 

in essence we don't have next year because if he continues to ball out by next year he will cost a lot more money.  The safe bet is IMO is to sign him to an extension this year and at the very least have him as the main backup to whoever we get down the road if he regresses.  Question is would he go for that or would he pull a Cousins and say I will show you.  

6 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Wins is what matters.

Depends how we get to 1-5.  If we get there by being outscored even though the offense is putting more than 24 points a game then its not Taylors or the offense fault is it?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Scherff is going to be 30 in December, given his injury history - especially with his knees - I’ll be shocked if he plays 5 more years in the NFL. I’ll also be shocked if he’s back in Washington after this season. He repeatedly turned down offers to stay in DC just like Kirk did, now we don’t know exactly how all that was structured so it could be like Kirk’s offers that really weren’t as good as they sounded when you broke them down but, I don’t see Scherff here next year.

Our starting RG is likely to be Wes S, Saahdiq Charles or someone we sign/draft who isn’t on our team right now.

I also think we’re getting way ahead of ourselves in talking that Heinicke is worth a big long term extension or a franchise tag. He’s got to be more consistent to get there. Reviewing some of his throws even from his win of last Sunday & vs the Giants, it’s scary some of the decisions he’s making. I like the guy, but he has to improve his decision making if he wants to be anything more than a career back up in the league.

I am not worried about Heinecke contract wise.  I actually will give Rivera credit for signing him to a 2 year deal.  My post was one of complete sarcasm because I still think it goes down in the hall of fame bad offseason moves to franchise often hurt Guard brandon scherff a second time.  Idiot move of the offseason for Rivera.  Next on the list is no linebacker depth and then of course getting rid of our cheap cornerback depth in moreland.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, offbyone said:

I am not worried about Heinecke contract wise.  I actually will give Rivera credit for signing him to a 2 year deal.  My post was one of complete sarcasm because I still think it goes down in the hall of fame bad offseason moves to franchise often hurt Guard brandon scherff a second time.  Idiot move of the offseason for Rivera.  Next on the list is no linebacker depth and then of course getting rid of our cheap cornerback depth in moreland.  

Yeah, if you remember I’ve been in the camp of them needing to trade Scherff dating back to last year before the trade deadline bc I didn’t think he was going to re-sign here. Even if we weren’t going to get a 1st round back for Schefff, getting a 2nd or even a 3rd would’ve been better than paying him $18 million before losing him anyway & at best getting a 3rd round comp pick for him which would be a worse pick than any other teams natural 3rd round pick.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

This is very true, the question becomes if Heinicke continues to play well & we lose bc we continue to have one of the worst defenses in the NFL like I don’t know 2013-2019, will the coaches continue to play the QB bc he’s playing well or bench him bc the team is losing?

So, while wins matter, why the team is losing should matter more. If Heinicke isn’t the reason we are losing but it’s bc our secondary can’t cover my grandma in a wheelchair and she’s 89, then Heinicke should continue to play.

How a QB is playing himself matters, a QB can play a perfect game & the team can lose if the players on defense don’t do their jobs also. This team won’t consistently win jack until our back 7 gets their act together.

If Heinike continues to play well, but our defense shows no improvement over the course of the season?

I don't see how JDR keeps his job.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, offbyone said:

If we win 9 games this yr, with the schedule we've got?

Not to mention the 5 NFC East foes out of 6 games to end the season?

And he somehow either gets us a division title, or a wildcard playoff birth, with the way our Defense has played?

I'm locking him up long term, at the end of this season or next off season.

Like 5 yr, 50m dollar deal or whatever reasonable QB contract we could get for him.

Because that would mean not only was he able to sustain the hated NFC East foes, but fought Chiefs, Packers, Bucs, Bills, Seattle, Saints, Panthers, Chargers, Raiders & Broncos to get there.

And all 10 of those teams are looking like playoff teams now.

Edited by aceinthehouse

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

If Heinike continues to play well, but our defense shows no improvement over the course of the season?

I don't see how JDR keeps his job.

I don't really have any hope for JDR figuring it out so ...

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

If we win 9 games this yr, with the schedule we've got?

... I don't think we have about this.

• Like 1