Kirk Cousins andTaylor Heiny, will we make the same mistake again?

mar29020

The organization never truly bought into kirk and never wanted him because he wasn't the sext pick. If Taylor keeps playing the well he does will we repeat history or will we treat him correctly and buy in? We all know Snyder loves the sexy first round pick QB's/

We've got the rest of this year and next year to see what we have. But, and I figured this would happen, we're going to have the divide of those of those that see him for being a competent player who is a great back up, and those of us that think we can win it all with him. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

We've got the rest of this year and next year to see what we have. But, and I figured this would happen, we're going to have the divide of those of those that see him for being a competent player who is a great back up, and those of us that think we can win it all with him. 

Yep, I just want to enjoy the ride. He sure is fun to watch and played his game more yesterday. Took off and ran, slid when he should . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't think he gets the rest of year if we go 1-3 over next 4 for Saints Chiefs Packers Broncos which is possible I think we'd see Fitz back in after the bye to play Tampa

@ovfd55 I’m with you here. I think Taylor may get the Colt McCoy treatment sadly. Remember Colt was playing pretty well in 2014 but when RG3 came back they gave him one more chance. 

If we go 1-3 over the next month then they’ll likely go back to Fitz when he’s healthy for the Tampa game. Or, they could even go to Kyle Allen.  I would not put it past Scotty to convince Rivera to go to Kyle Allen if we got 1-3 over the next 4 or 0-4.

29 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

I don't think he gets the rest of year if we go 1-3 over next 4 for Saints Chiefs Packers Broncos which is possible I think we'd see Fitz back in after the bye to play Tampa

7 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

@ovfd55 I’m with you here. I think Taylor may get the Colt McCoy treatment sadly. Remember Colt was playing pretty well in 2014 but when RG3 came back they gave him one more chance. 

If we go 1-3 over the next month then they’ll likely go back to Fitz when he’s healthy for the Tampa game. Or, they could even go to Kyle Allen.  I would not put it past Scotty to convince Rivera to go to Kyle Allen if we got 1-3 over the next 4 or 0-4.

I dunno, we'll see. Someone said this, and I apologize I don't remember who (or if it was even on here), that Taylor is doing what we had hoped Ryan could do. We just expected the defense to be better. So, that said, it might just be best to let him have the season if he continues on this path. 

Now if during that 1-3 run, Cinderella turns back into a pumpkin... okay do it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I dunno, we'll see. Someone said this, and I apologize I don't remember who (or if it was even on here), that Taylor is doing what we had hoped Ryan could do. We just expected the defense to be better. So, that said, it might just be best to let him have the season if he continues on this path. 

Now if during that 1-3 run, Cinderella turns back into a pumpkin... okay do it. 

If I were the HC, I’d let Heinicke have the season but, I’m not sure it goes that way but, I’d love to see it. I trust him to play big in big moments especially vs our division opponents in December. I don’t really trust Fitz to do it because he hasn’t consistently done that over his career and Kyle Allen hasn’t either but I think Scotty likes Allen’s arm, athleticism & potential. I mean there’s a reason why Kyle was traded for last offseason and was kept this offseason when they could’ve signed a different vet or drafted someone to develop. 

I don’t like that it could happen, but it is what it is, it’s a possibility.

I'm not sure the team's record will be as big a factor as to whether the Heinicke remains the starter as y'all think.  We have a tough schedule, if the team goes 1-3, but Heinicke plays well I don't see him returning to the bench.  Now if those bad throws from Sunday all turn into interceptions, then yeah, Fitz or Allen will see the field.  But his rating for the season is over 100 and he's completing nearly 70% of his passes against defenses that know he has to pass, as we're so often behind by a score or three.

• Like 2

I think there is something to your point.  This fan base doesn't seem to appreciate what we got.  We always want something better.  Heinecke is a flawed qb.  But he is better than what we have had in a long time and we should appreciate him for what he is and roll with him.  The fan base and team had a similar attitude with Cousins.  Cousins isn't elite and so we tried to get something better, and look how that worked out.

Cousins is the last qb we had who was actually better than Heinecke.  No doubt this offseason we will try to upgrade Heinecke and repeat this.  But honestly, you should shelf this thread until the offseason.  First we need to see if Heinecke stays healthy through a season.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I think there is something to your point.  This fan base doesn't seem to appreciate what we got.  We always want something better.  Heinecke is a flawed qb.  But he is better than what we have had in a long time and we should appreciate him for what he is and roll with him.  The fan base and team had a similar attitude with Cousins.  Cousins isn't elite and so we tried to get something better, and look how that worked out.

Cousins is the last qb we had who was actually better than Heinecke.  No doubt this offseason we will try to upgrade Heinecke and repeat this.  But honestly, you should shelf this thread until the offseason.  First we need to see if Heinecke stays healthy through a season.

Oh No! You can’t mention the C word! 😂 

@mar29020 One difference between Kirk & Taylor is that once Kirk became a starter and had a good season in 2015, he was never on a deal more than 1 season. After 2015, Kirk’s contract was up and we franchised him rather than give him the long term deal he wanted.

Heinicke is already on a 2-year deal. So, we have two years to evaluate his play and if we want to then sign him to a big contract extension.

Sadly, with Kirk we didn’t get those two years to evaluate his play. In 2014 he had a few good games but a few bad games and then Gruden benched him for Colt bc Kirk kept making the same mistake that led to ints, throwing late across the middle.

So, the fact that we have Heinicke under contract for this year and next year is a good sign for him and anyone who’s evaluating him to see if maybe by some stroke of luck he can be a good long term starter for us.

44 minutes ago, offbyone said:

to highlight your point the coaching staff and snyder did that with cousins too, they didnt appreciate what they had. 8 Tds is very good numbers considering what he is dealing with on offense so far and only 3 picks. He also is a good runner. If he hits those projected numbers we need to keep him. if a rookie was putting up these stats right now, we would be raving about time. 

Espn.com for source

2021 Passing

STATS
Regular Season
Projected
Career

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
82 118 69.5 960 8.1 8 3 73 105.9
328 472 69.5 3,840 8.1 32 12 73 105.9
130 195 66.7 1,427 7.3 10 6 73 92.4

9 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Heinicke is already on a 2-year deal. So, we have two years to evaluate his play and if we want to then sign him to a big contract extension.

If he's playing well for the rest of the season, you're kidding yourself if you think they can wait until 2023 to deal with his contract situation.

• Like 1