College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Emotions aside, I get it. 

Briles and Leavitt are in 2 entirely different categories though. Briles likely will never coach again, and its perfectly understandable why nobody would want that POS involved in their program in a major capacity at all. Leavitt though....we're talking what? 5, 6 years ago? And not a negative incident since? We have coaches leading major schools that have overseen players dying (not to put too much blame as many of those are latent health issues) and others with guys getting in constant trouble. It bugs me that, if this is the case, that Oregon is trying to pull the same kind of moral relativity bs that Tennessee was doing with Schiano. I get the feeling age played a factor. But if we're gonna go younger, we could have done better than MC. 

And so I'm clear, Leavitt >>>Schiano 10/10 times for me. 

It doesn't matter. He struck a player. The things you are trying to compare to that aren't comparable. It's not moral relativity. It's not remotely similar to Schiano (and yes, Leavitt >>>>> Schiano).

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'll take it, but I'm not too enthused.

I mean, its cool that a bunch of players wanted him to stay. I hope he is able to keep a good bit of the staff together. But this should be nail in Mullens' coffin. 

You had 1 job. Find a Head Coach. You had 2 great in house candidates. 

1 had a 95-57 record as a head coach, came in as an assistant last year and made a noticeable difference on his side of the ball, and is rumored to be leaving. 

The other had a 24-47 record, didn't make much of a difference on his side of the ball, and wasn't rumored to be leaving. 

And you picked the latter. 

lol

Leavitt does not have the upside that Mario has. Is it a risk? Sure, but the only realistic option I would have preferred was Brohm and who knows if that was even realistic.

10 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

lol

Leavitt does not have the upside that Mario has. Is it a risk? Sure, but the only realistic option I would have preferred was Brohm and who knows if that was even realistic.

No, Leavitt doesn't have the "upside". Why? Because he's already a proven commodity. And what he's proven to be is a very very good coach, whether its as a DC or HC. Cristobal may have "upside", but his run as a HC is less than stellar and his time as OC left a lot to be wanted. It isn't like Cristobal was this cycle's PJ Fleck or Jeff Brohm, so even the "upside" he may possess is limited. 

He wasn't Chip, Frost, or Helfrich. He was the OC for a pretty mediocre offense. His biggest strength is recruiting. Doesn't need to be HC for that. 

I do agree that Brohm would have been great, but I also doubt he was even an option. 

No, Leavitt doesn't have the "upside". Why? Because he's already a proven commodity. And what he's proven to be is a very very good coach, whether its as a DC or HC. Cristobal may have "upside", but his run as a HC is less than stellar and his time as OC left a lot to be wanted. It isn't like Cristobal was this cycle's PJ Fleck or Jeff Brohm, so even the "upside" he may possess is limited. 

He wasn't Chip, Frost, or Helfrich. He was the OC for a pretty mediocre offense. His biggest strength is recruiting. Doesn't need to be HC for that. 

I do agree that Brohm would have been great, but I also doubt he was even an option. 

Yes, if you look at it in a vacuum but look at how the FIU program was before he got there. They were  **** show. Worst D1 program. He transformed it and made them conference champions.

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Yes, if you look at it in a vacuum but look at how the FIU program was before he got there. They were  **** show. Worst D1 program. He transformed it and made them conference champions.

He took them to co-champion status with Troy. In the SUN BELT. He was able to get their program going, momentarily. Congratulations? 

Darrell Hazel took over a really crummy Kent St. team and made them Conference champions too. How'd Purdue work out for him? 

Brady Hoke got Ball St. AND SDSU fixed up, how'd Michigan work out? 

I mean, if that's all you can say about the guy, why not hire Philiip Montgomery? Mark Hudspeth? Doug Martin just got NMST to their first bowl game in how many decades? Man, that Larry Coker guy brought UTSA up really fast, why not him? That Joey Jones kid....man literally began the USA program. Winning record too! 

Seriously, the best you can come up with for Cristobal is his lone big season at FIU? This isn't FIU, it's OREGON. We hired a guy who had a good year as a HC. So did all of the guys above. And unlike Cristobal, some of them actually have winning records overall. 

That's why I maintain that we absolutely settled. 

He took them to co-champion status with Troy. In the SUN BELT. He was able to get their program going, momentarily. Congratulations? 

Darrell Hazel took over a really crummy Kent St. team and made them Conference champions too. How'd Purdue work out for him? 

Brady Hoke got Ball St. AND SDSU fixed up, how'd Michigan work out? 

I mean, if that's all you can say about the guy, why not hire Philiip Montgomery? Mark Hudspeth? Doug Martin just got NMST to their first bowl game in how many decades? Man, that Larry Coker guy brought UTSA up really fast, why not him? That Joey Jones kid....man literally began the USA program. Winning record too! 

Seriously, the best you can come up with for Cristobal is his lone big season at FIU? This isn't FIU, it's OREGON. We hired a guy who had a good year as a HC. So did all of the guys above. And unlike Cristobal, some of them actually have winning records overall. 

That's why I maintain that we absolutely settled. 

Look, we had both him and Leavitt and everyone chose him.

2 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Look, we had both him and Leavitt and everyone chose him.

Everyone being? 

Our AD, who so wisely saddled us with Helfrich and then got giddy over Taggart?

Our players? Players who largely have 2 goals- get school paid for, get out and to the NFL if optional? I guarantee most of these guys only care about who the coach is for the 3-4 years they are there. If we're looking long term, we can't just get all sentimental over how the players feel. 31 guys on our roster can be academically classified as seniors right now. 9 of them might be back for their last year of eligibility. We have 36 more that will be draft eligible at the end of next season. We have a grand total of 38 that are guaranteed to maybe stick around more than 2 years. Point is, they'll all leave. And most will never return to UO or even the state. It's great that a bunch of kids like the guy. But I don't particularly care for THEM to be the ones making this decision. Especially considering that they're a bunch of butthurt teenagers who's old coach just left. OF COURSE THEY LIKE CRISTOBAL. 

The fact that those two entities made the decision, and made it so quickly, doesn't mean it's a good hire or one I have to like. I've said it before, I'll live with it. But I'm not impressed by or expressly supportive of it either. 

Everyone being? 

Our AD, who so wisely saddled us with Helfrich and then got giddy over Taggart?

Our players? Players who largely have 2 goals- get school paid for, get out and to the NFL if optional? I guarantee most of these guys only care about who the coach is for the 3-4 years they are there. If we're looking long term, we can't just get all sentimental over how the players feel. 31 guys on our roster can be academically classified as seniors right now. 9 of them might be back for their last year of eligibility. We have 36 more that will be draft eligible at the end of next season. We have a grand total of 38 that are guaranteed to maybe stick around more than 2 years. Point is, they'll all leave. And most will never return to UO or even the state. It's great that a bunch of kids like the guy. But I don't particularly care for THEM to be the ones making this decision. Especially considering that they're a bunch of butthurt teenagers who's old coach just left. OF COURSE THEY LIKE CRISTOBAL. 

The fact that those two entities made the decision, and made it so quickly, doesn't mean it's a good hire or one I have to like. I've said it before, I'll live with it. But I'm not impressed by or expressly supportive of it either. 

lol I skipped most of your post but who else would you like to see make the decision? The PKs were involved.

BTW, Cristobal >>> anyone on your **** list

22 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

lol I skipped most of your post but who else would you like to see make the decision? The PKs were involved.

BTW, Cristobal >>> anyone on your **** list

1. Why what you think doesn't matter to me. Responding with a smart comment after admitting that makes you look foolish. Congrats there.

2. Personal opinion. No need to bash somebody's list like that. Good job making yourself look like a d!ck though. 

Taggart is a snake but he is a STUD recruiter. The fact that they say he barely recruited better than Helfrich is a lie...everyone (including Frost) said that it was impossible to attract top level talent to Oregon, Taggart defied them and proved that you could. Not too long ago we had the #1 overall class on Scout (top 5 elsewhere). 

1 minute ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Taggart is a snake but he is a STUD recruiter. The fact that they say he barely recruited better than Helfrich is a lie...everyone (including Frost) said that it was impossible to attract top level talent to Oregon, Taggart defied them and proved that you could. Not too long ago we had the #1 overall class on Scout (top 5 elsewhere). 

You had a top class because your class was just about full. Taggart can certainly recruit, but FSU is always going to recruit.

Archived