College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

27 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Here's an interesting breakdown on the Mullen vs. Taggart hirings:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/comes-mullen-vs-taggart-florida-won-coaching-search-battle-florida-state

Obviously, it's an SEC website, so there's bias in play, but the numbers are very interesting.

It's a Florida writer...

How do you compare a dude who has been at programs for just a few years at most to a guy who has had 9 years at the same spot?

3 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Anybody trying to convince themselves that Dan Mullen is a better recruiter than Willie Taggart is insane.

Dan Mullen, by himself, isn't a better recruiter. But he might be able to put together a better staff. However, I feel confident that Mullen is the better football mind and teacher.

10 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

How do you compare a dude who has been at programs for just a few years at most to a guy who has had 9 years at the same spot?

Well, he compared the dude to others who were at the same programs.

Taggart is not a great x's and o's guy (not sure why he insists on calling plays) and doesn't make great halftime adjustments, but he is a terrific leader, recruiter, motivator, and he can hire a hell of a staff. I think he will be very successful at FSU. I think he'll be so successful that he'll get a shot at the NFL and leave.

3 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Taggart is not a great x's and o's guy (not sure why he insists on calling plays) and doesn't make great halftime adjustments, but he is a terrific leader, recruiter, motivator, and he can hire a hell of a staff. I think he will be very successful at FSU. I think he'll be so successful that he'll get a shot at the NFL and leave.

I saw his rumored staff at FSU. Aside from Leavitt EDIT: and Odell Huggins, it's pretty underwhelming.

2 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Yeah, I was more referring to Oregon. I was underwhelmed with his RB coach hire. Who else is he looking at?

This is what a FSU fan was telling me:

DC/ILB: Jim Leavitt

DL: Odell Huggins

QB: Shaun King

RB: Donte Pimpleton or Telly Lockette

WR: Ron Dugans or Mike Johnson

OL: Darren Hiller or Larry Scott

TE: Telly Lockette (if Pimpleton comes)

OLB: Raymond Woodie

DB: ????

Is it a bad staff? No. I'm sure it'll recruit well, but outside of Huggins and Leavitt, who are the proven coaches?(especially if Dugans stays at Miami)

Telly Lockette is likely hired as FSU's TE coach (that's the latest rumor from today). He was the head coach at Miami Central and coached players like Devonta Freeman and Dalvin Cook. He's well-connected to South Florida which obviously produces tremendous football talent. Not a "proven" coach but hot damn that recruiting will be nice.

Archived