College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

1 hour ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

So it went from Taggart, Cristobal, Arroyo and Leavitt all going to FSU to just Taggart going - I'd be a tad disappointed if he was brought to UF and this happened.  

I get that as Gators y'all have to do your due diligence and take shots at FSU any chance you get (because we all know the Gators aren't beating us on the football field), but it was Taggart who brought many of those guys to Oregon in the first place. There is zero concern about him putting a staff together. He should have an easier time putting together an elite staff at a marquee program like FSU than convincing quality coaches to move to Eugene. If Oregon wants to pay an insane amount to assistants to keep him, so be it. People will line up to coach at FSU.

1 minute ago, Phire said:

I get that as Gators y'all have to do your due diligence and take shots at FSU any chance you get (because we all know the Gators aren't beating us on the football field), but it was Taggart who brought many of those guys to Oregon in the first place. There is zero concern about him putting a staff together. He should have an easier time putting together an elite staff at a marquee program like FSU than convincing quality coaches to move to Eugene. 

I'm not taking shots at anybody nor am I trying to trash Florida State, that's not what I'm about. 

All I'm saying is that if I was expecting a package deal to come to Florida (which I would've and I think most FSU fans did) and I only got 1 part of that package I'd be disappointed. I'm not saying Taggart is a bad coach or a bad hire but that staff was a big selling point for me on the Taggart to UF train. 

3 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

I'm not taking shots at anybody nor am I trying to trash Florida State, that's not what I'm about. 

All I'm saying is that if I was expecting a package deal to come to Florida (which I would've and I think most FSU fans did) and I only got 1 part of that package I'd be disappointed. I'm not saying Taggart is a bad coach or a bad hire but that staff was a big selling point for me on the Taggart to UF train. 

I think the feeling is a little different on our side. FSU hired Willie Taggart for Willie Taggart, not Oregon's staff. It wasn't like Scott Frost taking the entire UCF staff with him. Willie Taggart should be able to convince better assistants to coach at places like UF and FSU. I'd imagine doing so at Oregon isn't the easiest thing, and if there's any question just look at what Oregon has to pay people to stay.

1 minute ago, Phire said:

I think the feeling is a little different on our side. FSU hired Willie Taggart for Willie Taggart, not Oregon's staff. It wasn't like Scott Frost taking the entire UCF staff with him. Willie Taggart should be able to convince better assistants to coach at places like UF and FSU. I'd imagine doing so at Oregon isn't the easiest thing, and if there's any question just look at what Oregon has to pay people to stay.

I guess we'll have to wait and see who he hires. I have a hard time believing he'll find someone better then Leavitt and better recruiters then Cristobal and Arroyo (since it seems WT is going to call the plays). 

5 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

I guess we'll have to wait and see who he hires. I have a hard time believing he'll find someone better then Leavitt and better recruiters then Cristobal and Arroyo (since it seems WT is going to call the plays). 

Taggart brought all those Florida guys to Oregon to get Florida commits. Leavitt and Cristobal are both Florida guys. FSU now has Taggart, Lockette, and Pimpleton on staff, at least as far as new guys so far. Those are all Florida folks. Any more coaches with Florida ties will be overkill. We need some assistants who can recruit other parts of the country. Bringing the entire Oregon staff to schools like FSU and UF would actually be a pretty dumb move in terms of recruiters with ties to certain geographic areas.

1 hour ago, Phire said:

I get that as Gators y'all have to do your due diligence and take shots at FSU any chance you get (because we all know the Gators aren't beating us on the football field), but it was Taggart who brought many of those guys to Oregon in the first place. There is zero concern about him putting a staff together. He should have an easier time putting together an elite staff at a marquee program like FSU than convincing quality coaches to move to Eugene. If Oregon wants to pay an insane amount to assistants to keep him, so be it. People will line up to coach at FSU.

I guarantee you that Taggart's staff at Oregon will be better than anything he puts together at FSU next year. I do agree that in theory, ya'll should get better coaches but the coaches mentioned so far are super underwhelming. Pimpleton isn't terrible but he's just average. Average coach, average recruiter. RB is usually a spot where you want a great recruiter and he's just "meh". Woodie is a good get, IMO. He's a great recruiter, good OLB coach, bad ST coach.

2 hours ago, Phire said:

I think we're all a bit surprised that his rumored staff looks pretty underwhelming right now. That was the big sell with him.

37 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I think we're all a bit surprised that his rumored staff looks pretty underwhelming right now. That was the big sell with him.

Big sell to whom exactly? It's not like Taggart had a public list of assistants. Everything was and is speculation.

16 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this:

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/12/17/oregon-jim-leavitt-staying-defensive-coordinator-new-deal

Leavitt is staying at Oregon. That's huge for Oregon and a huge blow to FSU.

I think it goes without saying, Leavitt staying changes my entire opinion of Oregon's immediate future. Glad they opened the checkbook for him. One of the best "low key" move of the offseason in terms of impact gained/retained. I know I was harsh on the Cristobal hire, but most of that was due to the risk of losing Leavitt. I'm very satisfied at this. 

Archived