College Football Coaching Carousel

Texasmade

46 minutes ago, Phire said:

Other programs just need to feast on that staff.
It's what I'm hoping with Clemson and the ACC. Though I don't know why teams aren't poaching that staff mercilessly already.

Why would coaches at top programs take lateral moves?  We lost Morris and will lose Venables next year probably (since most the good jobs are already gone) but no one else on our staff really deserves a promotion.  Hobby was poached by the NFL last year and Brooks retired last year.  But none of our position coaches are really coordinator material outside Streeter to worry about getting poached.

I'll take it, but I'm not too enthused.

I mean, its cool that a bunch of players wanted him to stay. I hope he is able to keep a good bit of the staff together. But this should be nail in Mullens' coffin. 

You had 1 job. Find a Head Coach. You had 2 great in house candidates. 

1 had a 95-57 record as a head coach, came in as an assistant last year and made a noticeable difference on his side of the ball, and is rumored to be leaving. 

The other had a 24-47 record, didn't make much of a difference on his side of the ball, and wasn't rumored to be leaving. 

And you picked the latter. 

39 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I mean, its cool that a bunch of players wanted him to stay. I hope he is able to keep a good bit of the staff together. But this should be nail in Mullens' coffin. 

1 had a 95-57 record as a head coach, came in as an assistant last year and made a noticeable difference on his side of the ball, and is rumored to be leaving. 

The other had a 24-47 record, didn't make much of a difference on his side of the ball, and wasn't rumored to be leaving. 

Leavitt is a great HC, but his past makes him a difficult hire.

2 hours ago, Phire said:

Other programs just need to feast on that staff.
It's what I'm hoping with Clemson and the ACC. Though I don't know why teams aren't poaching that staff mercilessly already.

• Chaney-no one is going to take him
  • Pittman-we will match any offer
  • McGee-will get raise after raise until someone offers him a OC job he cant turn away from
  • Coley-thought he would be gone....loves Athens...no clue how long he will be here
  • Beamer-definitely gone in a couple years
  • Tucker-No clue when or for what he will leave. DC job in NFL? HC job in CFB?
  • Schumann-DC in waiting. Hopefully no one grabs him before Tucker leaves
  • Scott-Been here a year now. Like him. Will get an opportunity soon

Looks like Tyson Summers is the front runner for the open LB job that Sherrer left. Would be a good hire. Crappy HC at Georgia Southern, but from south Georgia, and was a good DC at UCF, and pretty descent at Colorado State. 

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Leavitt is a great HC, but his past makes him a difficult hire.

I'll feel better if Mario can convince him to stay. If Mullens lets him leave because of this decision, he needs to lose his job. He's had his chances and none of them have been up to par. I hope Mario works out, but....this seemed way too trigger happy. 

51 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I can't believe they actually picked Mario to be the HC. Very surprised it wasn't Wilcox who has Oregon and Northwest ties. 

3 minutes ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

I can't believe they actually picked Mario to be the HC. Very surprised it wasn't Wilcox who has Oregon and Northwest ties. 

Eh, I didn't think he'd leave Cal that quick. He has a good thing going there. But there were plenty of other guys at smaller schools or in coordinator positions that would have been just as good or better hires. I don't hate the hire, but its not exciting or inspiring. 

If it was about recruiting, he could have still had a position on the team.

If it was a "make me permanent or I'm leaving", ok, let him.

There just isn't much HE brings to the table as a head coach. 

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'll feel better if Mario can convince him to stay. If Mullens lets him leave because of this decision, he needs to lose his job. He's had his chances and none of them have been up to par. I hope Mario works out, but....this seemed way too trigger happy. 

Yea, I would have been a bit more patient. He can recruit, but he's a big ? as a HC. I think y'all could have done better. 

On 12/7/2017 at 11:23 AM, devils1854 said:

Georgia WR coach James Coley just said no to becoming the Aggie OC

#AlphaProgram

Well Darn!

tenor.gif?itemid=10410983

Would have been a good thing.

.... For Coley! He could have rode the coattails of Jimbo, who would have/will coordinate the offense anyway. Smell ya later, James!

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Yea, I would have been a bit more patient. He can recruit, but he's a big ? as a HC. I think y'all could have done better. 

Not to compare the two, but Chip was only our OC for 2 seasons after coming from New Hampshire. 

Cristobal has a leg up in experience and probably recruiting. He's worked under some pretty solid names too. Maybe some seasoning and his time under Darth Saban have made him wiser? I have to admit to really only knowing him as FIU's coach and our co-OC last year.... the former is mostly impressive, given what he had to work with but the latter is the opposite really. 

Our offense wasn't very good most of the time, Herbert or not. How much was Taggart? How much was Cristobal/Arroyo?

But dang....if we were going to stay in-house, WHY NOT LEAVITT? I'll never understand that part. It's been long enough since the USF ending. The guy can coach. I have no doubt he can recruit. He has a resume that is sterling, really. I guess it could have come down to the age difference if Mullens was banking on long-term. But still...

58 minutes ago, RuralBill said:

Well Darn!

tenor.gif?itemid=10410983

Would have been a good thing.

.... For Coley! He could have rode the coattails of Jimbo, who would have/will coordinate the offense anyway. Smell ya later, James!

Rumor is that they're after Eddie Gran now. He's a bigger fish if they can snag him.

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Not to compare the two, but Chip was only our OC for 2 seasons after coming from New Hampshire. 

Cristobal has a leg up in experience and probably recruiting. He's worked under some pretty solid names too. Maybe some seasoning and his time under Darth Saban have made him wiser? I have to admit to really only knowing him as FIU's coach and our co-OC last year.... the former is mostly impressive, given what he had to work with but the latter is the opposite really. 

Our offense wasn't very good most of the time, Herbert or not. How much was Taggart? How much was Cristobal/Arroyo?

But dang....if we were going to stay in-house, WHY NOT LEAVITT? I'll never understand that part. It's been long enough since the USF ending. The guy can coach. I have no doubt he can recruit. He has a resume that is sterling, really. I guess it could have come down to the age difference if Mullens was banking on long-term. But still...

Because Leavitt struck a player, lied about it, and tried to tamper with the investigation. It's hard for anyone to give him reigns to their program after that. Why can't Art Briles land another HC gig? Because he's toxic right now. Justifying putting Leavitt in charge your program is hard to do despite all of his qualifications. He's a legitimately very good to great HC, but he's getting old and may not have enough time left to distance him from what he did.

34 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Because Leavitt struck a player, lied about it, and tried to tamper with the investigation. It's hard for anyone to give him reigns to their program after that. Why can't Art Briles land another HC gig? Because he's toxic right now. Justifying putting Leavitt in charge your program is hard to do despite all of his qualifications. He's a legitimately very good to great HC, but he's getting old and may not have enough time left to distance him from what he did.

Emotions aside, I get it. 

Briles and Leavitt are in 2 entirely different categories though. Briles likely will never coach again, and its perfectly understandable why nobody would want that POS involved in their program in a major capacity at all. Leavitt though....we're talking what? 5, 6 years ago? And not a negative incident since? We have coaches leading major schools that have overseen players dying (not to put too much blame as many of those are latent health issues) and others with guys getting in constant trouble. It bugs me that, if this is the case, that Oregon is trying to pull the same kind of moral relativity bs that Tennessee was doing with Schiano. I get the feeling age played a factor. But if we're gonna go younger, we could have done better than MC. 

And so I'm clear, Leavitt >>>Schiano 10/10 times for me. 

Archived