2021-2022 NBA GDT Thread: Wolf Pit Assemble

NYRaider

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

As you should as a team with continuity and an identity. Lakers are like the polar opposite with a completely turned over roster besides Bron, AD, and THT while trying to integrate Russell Westbrook. Vogel still trying to whip these dudes into shape defensively lol. He sat Monk after 5 mins cause he was making so many mistakes on that end. Lakers are a work in progress. Jazz are more of a finished product.

Our continuity and identity led us to being the best team in the regular season and then we were injured in the playoffs. Our two biggest flaws last year were: 1) we didn't have a backup behind Rudy and bled points defensively whenever he wasn't playing & 2) we were very one dimensional because we couldn't go small. We addressed both of those concerns with the additions of Whiteside, Paschall, and Gay. The Lakers calling card was defense and you're one of the worst defensive teams in the league so far this year and can't shoot. I don't even really talk about basketball on here anymore because I don't feel the need to defend or hype the Jazz, I know we're going to be very good. And the Lakers are legitimately the least of my worries. I would love to play you in a series, if you make the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We've shot the ball terribly, Mitchell/Conley haven't played particularly well, and yet we've still won every game (outside of the scrappy Kings game) by double digits.

That’s good and I’m not expecting the percentage to stay much lower than last year like it is rn. But, I just think it’s still too early to glean too much off 4-6 games which is what teams have played for the most part and Utah is on the low end of that as we speak. That goes for any team though. It’s way too early. I say like at least 20 games is needed to start making real judgements and really more like at least 25-30. 

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Obviously it is a small sample size but I do think, assuming we're healthy, that we can make a leap this year in the playoffs. Our loss in the playoffs last year is held against us to a crazy degree but people totally overlook the fact that we were without Conley (an all star PG) and Donovan was hobbled with an ankle injury. 

Injuries suck. I still believe with how crappy our role players were that Suns series that if AD stayed healthy that we would’ve won or at the very least lost in 7. Let’s not act like the Clippers didn’t have Ibaka out and lose Kawhi and beat you without him.

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We didn't make any crazy roster moves this off-season but we didn't need too.

Agreed. 

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I also think that adding Whiteside was a huge addition because he actually looks to score and provides a huge rim protector behind Rudy. We haven't been able to play defense without Rudy on the court but Whiteside protects the rim while also being a threat to score which will prevent teams from being able to go small against us. And if teams do go small against us we now have the personnel to go small as well with the additions of Rudy Gay and Eric Paschall. 

Good points all around. I do like Whiteside more than Favors who I didn’t really love you adding last year.

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Our continuity and identity led us to being the best team in the regular season and then we were injured in the playoffs. Our two biggest flaws last year were: 1) we didn't have a backup behind Rudy and bled points defensively whenever he wasn't playing & 2) we were very one dimensional because we couldn't go small. We addressed both of those concerns with the additions of Whiteside, Paschall, and Gay. The Lakers calling card was defense and you're one of the worst defensive teams in the league so far this year and can't shoot. I don't even really talk about basketball on here anymore because I don't feel the need to defend or hype the Jazz, I know we're going to be very good. And the Lakers are legitimately the least of my worries. I would love to play you in a series, if you make the playoffs.

You turning this into a pissing contest. Why? 😂🤣

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

You turning this into a pissing contest. Why? 😂🤣

I'm not at all, you brought up the Lakers and how they're integrating new pieces. To which I responded, I am not concerned about the Lakers at all. The teams that scare me in the West are the Warriors and Nuggets. 

4 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Injuries suck. I still believe with how crappy our role players were that Suns series that if AD stayed healthy that we would’ve won or at the very least lost in 7. Let’s not act like the Clippers didn’t have Ibaka out and lose Kawhi and beat you without him.

Good points all around. I do like Whiteside more than Favors who I didn’t really love you adding last year.

Kawhi played during the first 4 games of the series, we didn't have Conley for any of it. They got extremely hot with random role players for 2 games, revisionist history at it's finest. Not to mention Donovan was playing at probably 60-70%. But do you, lol. I'm just happy we didn't let Jae Crowder cha cha on us in our home stadium after one of our legends had just passed away.

Whiteside has been a pleasant surprise, I wasn't a huge fan of the move but he has played well so far. I'm excited for Rudy Gay to get back and hope that Jared Butler adjusts as the season goes on.

Edited by NYRaider

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I'm not at all

Yes you are, but it’s cool it’s what you usually resort to.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

you brought up the Lakers and how they're integrating new pieces.

I only brought up the Lakers cause you did alluding to the OKC loss. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

To which I responded, I am not concerned about the Lakers at all. The teams that scare me in the West are the Warriors and Nuggets. 

That’s cool. I’m not really concerned who you are afraid of facing after a few games. 

Just now, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yes you are, but it’s cool it’s what you usually resort to.

I only brought up the Lakers cause you did alluding to the OKC loss. 

That’s cool. I’m not really concerned who you are afraid of facing after a few games. 

I'm just happy with our team and look forward to the playoffs. We need to make a leap this year and I think that we're prepared to do so because of the reasons I've already mentioned above. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Not to mention Donovan was playing at probably 60-70%. But do you, lol.

I can do this same thing with the Lakers, Nets, Clippers, etc. Last years playoffs were brutal for injuries at least to bigger names.

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

after one of our legends had just passed away.

We won the title after Kobe died which is something Utah still hasn’t done in their franchise history or are you talking about Elgin Baylor? 🤔

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

hope that Jared Butler adjusts as the season goes on.

Reaves better

3 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I can do this same thing with the Lakers, Nets, Clippers, etc. Last years playoffs were brutal for injuries at least to bigger names.

Reaves better

That's fine but everyone is quick to forget our injuries. I don't care about last season anymore. 

Meh, we'll see. Reaves will probably get more opportunities this year because he's on a significantly worse team. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That's fine but everyone is quick to forget our injuries. I don't care about last season anymore. 

Meh, we'll see. Reaves will probably get more opportunities this year because he's on a significantly worse team. 

I’m just joking mainly, but Reaves has earned his minutes from the first game he played, but obviously THT and Ariza’s absences and Bron for 2 games opened up minutes for him. I’d rather have Butler for the long term. He has more upside and is a couple years younger. I like Reaves though. He doesn’t play like an undrafted rookie and he’s hustling his butt off which is easy to appreciate.

1 minute ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

I’m just joking mainly, but Reaves has earned his minutes from the first game he played, but obviously THT and Ariza’s absences and Bron for 2 games opened up minutes for him. I’d rather have Butler for the long term. He has more upside and is a couple years younger. I like Reaves though. He doesn’t play like an undrafted rookie and he’s hustling his butt off which is easy to appreciate.

I genuinely haven't seen a ton of Reaves but have heard good things from my buddies who are Lakers fans. Every team needs those guys that can shoot and do the dirty work. During the OKC game they were praising him and since he models his game after the GOAT Joe Ingles, I hope that he plays well.

Just now, NYRaider said:

I genuinely haven't seen a ton of Reaves but have heard good things from my buddies who are Lakers fans. Every team needs those guys that can shoot and do the dirty work. During the OKC game they were praising him and since he models his game after the GOAT Joe Ingles, I hope that he plays well.

Yeah and with how old our roster is I imagine we are gonna have more injuries along the way, so I’m sure he’ll figure into the rotation even when guys come back. He played a nice role in the win tonight.

13 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah and with how old our roster is I imagine we are gonna have more injuries along the way, so I’m sure he’ll figure into the rotation even when guys come back. He played a nice role in the win tonight.

You should've kept the bald mamba just so you would've had $20M or so in matching salary to send out in a potential trade deadline deal. 

11 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You should've kept the bald mamba just so you would've had $20M or so in matching salary to send out in a potential trade deadline deal. 

Lakers didn’t wanna take on the 40-50 million in luxury tax. You already know Lakers fans myself included didn’t care and wanted them to do it anyways. He would help a good deal with some of the issues defensively rn.