2021-2022 NBA GDT Thread: Wolf Pit Assemble

NYRaider

16 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Lakers didn’t wanna take on the 40-50 million in luxury tax. You already know Lakers fans myself included didn’t care and wanted them to do it anyways. He would help a good deal with some of the issues defensively rn. 

Just seems weird that Jeanie was willing to pay the tax for teams that sucked but was worried about the tax bill this year when you could've had the assets to make a big trade at the deadline with Caruso/THT's contracts. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Just seems weird that Jeanie was willing to pay the tax for teams that sucked but was worried about the tax bill this year when you could've had the assets to make a big trade at the deadline with Caruso/THT's contracts. 

Yeah it does. Also, it’s weird cause I’m pretty sure there was an article that made it clear Caruso definitely would’ve stayed here for the same money the Bulls offered. Like if the plan was to get Russ and all these older players and shooters some of which don’t play much defense, then keeping Caruso around would be that much more important and like you said he could be a trade asset and I’m pretty sure they could’ve got out of the luxury if not by 2022 then 2023 cause there’s hardly anyone on the books. But, what is done is done and I’m glad that Caruso is thriving along side Lonzo in Chicago and that another fanbase gets to enjoy what he brings to the table. Actually most of the former Lakers are doing well in their new spots. I know Dennis has been playing pretty well off the bench for Boston and Trez off the bench for Washington. 

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Actually most of the former Lakers are doing well in their new spots. I know Dennis has been playing pretty well off the bench for Boston and Trez off the bench for Washington. 

Yeah Ingram, Randle, Ball, Clarkson, etc. have all played well elsewhere. I think there's a different kind of pressure playing in Los Angeles which is then amplified tenfold times 10 playing with LeBron. Like you guys get nationally media coverage for dropping games in October, lol. None of this matters that much in the grand scheme of the NBA season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I think there's a different kind of pressure playing in Los Angeles which is then amplified tenfold times 10 playing with LeBron.

It’s definitely a thing. Most frustrating thing about that Suns series wasn’t even the bad shooting from 3 from the role players, but that they often got afraid to shoot. I saw someone talking tonight about Melo who was key in the second half with like 5 made threes just letting it rain and how the thing with him is he’s not gonna be afraid to shoot. Dude is basically tanking our defense, so when he’s not hitting shots he’s pretty useless. Same with Monk who also just lets it fly with full confidence lol. I think the Lakers def have better shooting this year. They are 4th in the league in 3PT%. Bron shot 1-10 from deep last night, but the rest of the team shot 62%. Now, if I could only get Russ and AD to take less threes per game like they did last night. 

To me besides Russ which is the most obvious puzzle piece. I think the season for the Lakers hinges on them cracking the top 10 for defense. They aren’t gonna be #1 like before, but I’d they can get to top third I’ll be good with that. They don’t have to be that this minute either, but they have to be able to play like one and have it at that type of level before the playoffs.  

4 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

To me besides Russ which is the most obvious puzzle piece. I think the season for the Lakers hinges on them cracking the top 10 for defense. They aren’t gonna be #1 like before, but I’d they can get to top third I’ll be good with that. They don’t have to be that this minute either, but they have to be able to play like one and have it at that type of level before the playoffs.  

Yes, people always forget that the only thing that matters at all is having your team in sync by playoff time. I think there are 3 keys for you though, the two that you mentioned, and being able to hit the 3 ball at a higher clip. This is also why I'm more so indifferent about the regular season this year, the Jazz can win 70 games, I do not care. We need to make a deep run in the playoffs.

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

When did Jeanie pay the luxury tax for a non-winner?

7 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah Ingram, Randle, Ball, Clarkson, etc. have all played well elsewhere. I think there's a different kind of pressure playing in Los Angeles which is then amplified tenfold times 10 playing with LeBron. Like you guys get nationally media coverage for dropping games in October, lol. None of this matters that much in the grand scheme of the NBA season. 

Which is ironic because most posters were saying that it was just players putting up big numbers on a bad team.  Brandon Ingram has blossomed in New Orleans.  Lonzo Ball has shot reasonably well since leaving the Lakers.  Julius Randle has become the guy in New York.  Jordan Clarkson is the same guy he was with the Lakers, just doing it with a better supporting cast.

Just now, CWood21 said:

When did Jeanie pay the luxury tax for a non-winner?

2013-2014 for a 27-55 team.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/9465225/los-angeles-lakers-hit-luxury-tax-29-million

Six NBA teams have been billed for luxury-tax payments they owe for last season's payrolls, according to official league figures obtained by ESPN.com on Tuesday night.

And the heftiest, not surprisingly, belongs to the Los Angeles Lakers.

The Lakers will be forced to pay more than $29 million in luxury tax for a team that -- thanks to a steady stream of injuries and L.A.'s well-chronicled chemistry problems -- barely squeaked into the playoffs and will go down as one of the biggest underachievers in league history.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Which is ironic because most posters were saying that it was just players putting up big numbers on a bad team.  Brandon Ingram has blossomed in New Orleans.  Lonzo Ball has shot reasonably well since leaving the Lakers.  Julius Randle has become the guy in New York.  Jordan Clarkson is the same guy he was with the Lakers, just doing it with a better supporting cast.

Brandon Ingram is legit, I was probably the only person on planet earth that said he should've went #1 over Ben. Randle has developed into a really good player for the Knicks but it took some time. Clarkson is the same player but just has the ultimate green light with our second unit.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

You mean the same team that saw Kobe coming back from a torn Achilles, and only played in 6 games?  The same team that had Pau Gasol only play in 60 games?  The same team that saw Steve Nash play in only 15 games?  The season in which Nick Young was the leading scorer at 17.9 PPG?  You're reaching.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Brandon Ingram is legit, I was probably the only person on planet earth that said he should've went #1 over Ben. Randle has developed into a really good player for the Knicks but it took some time. Clarkson is the same player but just has the ultimate green light with our second unit.

That's my point.  The Lakers had no issues identifying the talent.  The problem was the fit and construction of the team.  It took time because they were young players.  They were all one-and-done players who were on the younger side, and when you add a player like LeBron your timeline gets sped up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You mean the same team that saw Kobe coming back from a torn Achilles, and only played in 6 games?  The same team that had Pau Gasol only play in 60 games?  The same team that saw Steve Nash play in only 15 games?  The season in which Nick Young was the leading scorer at 17.9 PPG?  You're reaching.

She went into the luxury tax for a 40 year old Nash and a terrible cast of role players. Regardless though the Lakers have a 2 year window, can't be worried about the luxury tax and need to maximize the last 2 years you'll have LeBron James.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

She went into the luxury tax for a 40 year old Nash and a terrible cast of role players. Regardless though the Lakers have a 2 year window, can't be worried about the luxury tax and need to maximize the last 2 years you'll have LeBron James.

They were all under contract from the previous season...