Von Miller Trade - Yes or No?

lomaxgrUK

So, with it now very apparent that this team isn't a playoff team, would you trade Von Miller? And if so, what would it take?

It's very clear Von's production is taking a massive hit whilst our Run Defense suffers (he has contributed to that poor Run Defense, I should add). However, he surely can still produce for a team with a high octane Offense that is playing in front a lot, thus providing pass rushing opportunities.

Given his contract is up this year with us almost certainly not re-signing him, I would certainly be ok with trading him. As for his value - I am really not the person for that. Surely it would have to be a 3rd round pick or more, given the compensatory pick we'd forfeit by trading him.

But, who is trading significant value for a 33 year old, oft contract pass rusher that has been poor of late? Tough one.

1 hour ago, lomaxgrUK said:

So, with it now very apparent that this team isn't a playoff team, would you trade Von Miller? And if so, what would it take?

It's very clear Von's production is taking a massive hit whilst our Run Defense suffers (he has contributed to that poor Run Defense, I should add). However, he surely can still produce for a team with a high octane Offense that is playing in front a lot, thus providing pass rushing opportunities.

Given his contract is up this year with us almost certainly not re-signing him, I would certainly be ok with trading him. As for his value - I am really not the person for that. Surely it would have to be a 3rd round pick or more, given the compensatory pick we'd forfeit by trading him.

But, who is trading significant value for a 33 year old, oft contract pass rusher that has been poor of late? Tough one.

He’s also unsigned for next year.   We’re not getting any big return for a pure rental.  

Von’s taking a lot of attention, and he's still an impact player, but he’s not winning as much overall.  This graph speaks a little to what we’re seeing more: 

The context - Miller’s double team rate has increased per game in weeks 4-5 (so the graph looks average overall for double-team rate but it’s deceiving).  But Von’s still not the same as his week 1-3 production either. 

The only way you get a big return is if you’re getting future production.   Von leaves after 2021 the best return from comp picks is an end-of-third rd pick.   For a rental the most we’ve seen given up for non QB’s are day 2 picks (and from teams in contention so back half).    If Paton wants to trade Von that’s likely the best he’ll get.  I'm down with a 2nd / early 3rd return (from contenders the only way you get early 3rd is with pick swaps - like a late 2nd for our 4th). 

The other part - remember if we spend a lot of $ to bring in a high-priced FA, that counts against our comp pick formula.   So besting the end-of-3rd comp pick for a guy you won't bring back, is still a win.  Obviously Rd2 value is a no-brainer IMO for a rental sell, even someone as great as Von's been (and make no mistake, he's still having an impact - but on our D, it's not even close to enough.  On a contender....).

Edited by Broncofan

Yes - w/ the caveat that

1) he is traded out of the AFCW (purely an emotional caveat, not necessarily strategic)

2) he fetches a R2/R3 pick (needs to match or surpass likely comp pick value)

3) the trade is done tastefully w/ TONs of FO clarity and PR gratitude for Von’s contributions.

I love Von - he deserves a second leg on a contender.  He is a goofball but he’s handled the last 6 miserable seasons w/ class (… as it relates to football, at least)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Could we get more for Von - on what would be a 10-game rental for a contender - than the compensatory pick we would get if he leaves as a FA next spring?

That is why I am suggestion a trade to Dallas.  I bet he'd re-sign there so he can pay closer attention to his chicken farm.  And I think they need a pass rusher. This is a win-win. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Could we get more for Von - on what would be a 10-game rental for a contender - than the compensatory pick we would get if he leaves as a FA next spring?

Pass rushers are the scarcest impact commodities besides QB’s.   He’d get interest for sure.   Put him on a D with another guy who can get after the QB and he’d kill it again.   But it’s only  worth a Day 2 pick as a rental.  Sadly that’s the market unless you get a QB needy team like Sam Bradford - Minny.   For guys signed to a multi year deal different story. But that’s not Von.  

Edited by Broncofan

Right now, the Broncos should just go on a fire sale, and get as many picks as possible...send Von to Dallas; package MGIII and Fuller up and send them to Buffalo...all for picks of course.  I mean it seems like Paton did horrible in FA, but great in the draft.  If he wants to build through the draft, which I am all for, then you got to have picks to do that...go get the picks.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Pass rushers are the scarcest impact commodities besides QB’s.   He’d get interest for sure.   Put him on a D with another guy who can get after the QB and he’d kill it again.   But it’s only  worth a Day 2 pick as a rental.  Sadly that’s the market unless you get a QB needy team like Sam Bradford - Minny.   For guys signed to a multi year deal different story. But that’s not Von.  

Yeah and A day 2 pick would be what we’d get for Von compensatory wise; he will sign a big deal with whomever he signs as on account of the criticality of his position. Unless Paton breaks the bank for another FA (and he won’t, his history shows that, the big move this off-season will be a trade for a QB). 

I say let Von finish the year here - he’s a Mt Rushmore Bronco - and take the comp pick.