Is Stephanski giving out too many unearned reps?

Kiwibrown

Hooper has been inconsistent ever since he got there, while both of his understudies have been more consistent catching the ball, and a have looked a lot more explosive. I am genuinely excited about Bryant's talent and he seems to have made many more explosive plays than Hooper. Njoku it goes without saying, he doesnt always catch cleanly, but he has been better than Bryant. The eye test would put Hooper at no.3. 

To start the year Schwartz got snaps as starting WR over more proven guys like DPJ and Higgins. DPJ had a massive off season and there was nothing about Schwartz, may have killed our season on what should have been a good catch that led to Bakers INT and shoulder injury. 

I think our offense would be stronger organized around Njoku and Bryant as starters and then with more DPJ who has only looked fantastic a part from his fumble. 

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Hooper is the only guy I don’t understand. I think with him it’s entirely about $$$$.

I’m not going to pretend I watch to see if he’s a good blocker, but that was his reputation coming in here.

If that’s the case then I don’t see any issue with him getting a lot of reps considering how much we run multiple TE’s.

I do think Njoku should be the clear number one right now. 

Stef wants consistency and hooper has been that more so than the other two. In blocking and receiving IMO

njoku can be explosive but he is just as inconsistent catching the ball as the other TEs. He isn’t a great blocker. I don’t care what the stats say from last year. I don’t think I have seen the other TEs blow an assignment like Njoku did vs Darwin James that got baker blindsided. his blocking could be overlooked if we ran a different scheme. 

The issue is we need to be using our 2-3 TE sets more and more. Seems like he has been getting away from it more and more and feel like we barely used it vs the Steelers and it’s why our run game was completely shut down. also would have been helpful to run more 12/13 packages cause it could have at least slowed down their pass rush 

TE play in general has been disappointing and It’s more so about play design and usage of them IMO

Stefanski doesn't strike me as the "unearned" type. Schwartz produced against KC, and he was brought in to be that "deep threat" guy. I think a lot of what he does is based solely off of personnel and game planning.

Some weeks, he likes the "heavy", and Njoku gets a lot of reps. 

Some weeks, he likes the multiple RB looks, the slot WR looks, and Njoku doesn't get as many reps due to trying to expose the personnel game in the running game and intermediate slot game.

Personally, I'd like to use Njoku more as a TE and hybrid slot the rest of the way, and hopefully DPJ shows he's the real deal.

Higgins can absolutely go after this year.

Jarvis I'd CONSIDER bringing back next year as a solely slot WR.

Schwartz hopefully becomes a burner and X Factor type as your #3/deep threat, and we need to bring in a legit outside #2 or #1 opposite DPJ.

• Like 1

Im expecting nothing from Schwartz this season tbh.

I’m not calling him a bust or anything yet, but I haven’t seen a single thing that makes him look like a pro WR yet other than his speed.

He gives up on routes, doesn’t compete for catches and has questionable hands. Those things can be improved certainly, but he has a long way to go before he’s anything more than a bottom of the roster receiver on a good day.

47 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Im expecting nothing from Schwartz this season tbh.

I’m not calling him a bust or anything yet, but I haven’t seen a single thing that makes him look like a pro WR yet other than his speed.

He gives up on routes, doesn’t compete for catches and has questionable hands. Those things can be improved certainly, but he has a long way to go before he’s anything more than a bottom of the roster receiver on a good day.

Let's not give up on him from his age 21 season. He comes off as humble and hardworking. That coupled with elite athleticism (even by NFL standards) tells me he's a good gamble. I agree that this year has been a mess, though, and he appears to gave gotten playing time too soon.

tl;dr 1-2 seasons from now Schwartz may be with us

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Let's not give up on him from his age 21 season. He comes off as humble and hardworking. That coupled with elite athleticism (even by NFL standards) tells me he's a good gamble. I agree that this year has been a mess, though, and he appears to gave gotten playing time too soon.

tl;dr 1-2 seasons from now Schwartz may be with us

I’m not giving up on him at all, I just think he has a long way to go and the knocks on him coming out all look to be correct.

But like I said, a lot of his issues are correctable.