GDT - Week 10 - vs relevant only due to constant failure

Hunter2_1

17 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Everybody except for Jonnu Smith who sucked at playing or coaching a month ago has contributed in significant ways to the turn around. Doing their part by merely meeting expectations; playing to their level rather than their opponents. Devin McCourty, Josh McDaniels, Kyle Dugger, Kyle Van Noy, Brandon Bolden in particular have earned shout outs for a 180 degree turn for the better.

It's almost like it takes time for all these new pieces to gel. There's been a lot of turnover.

I'm confident they'll figure it out with Jonnu too. They were starting to do it before he got injured. Got to get him the ball in space, screens, etc. 

3 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

It's almost like it takes time for all these new pieces to gel. There's been a lot of turnover.

I'm confident they'll figure it out with Jonnu too. They were starting to do it before he got injured. Got to get him the ball in space, screens, etc. 

I want to see them use him in an H-back capacity 

1 hour ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

It's almost like it takes time for all these new pieces to gel.

I'm not sure if this comes across as condescending as you sound in this quote, but "Devin McCourty, Josh McDaniels, Kyle Dugger, Kyle Van Noy, Brandon Bolden" - who I named - aren't new pieces. I named them specifically because they were individually struggling with their role up until the last few games.

I think for the secondary and Josh McDaniels, it is matter of coaching adjustment. The secondary has played a lot more zone in the last month which plays to their strengths versus exposing their weaknesses, particularly with their safeties in man coverage. McDaniels just had his best game that I can recall. He was calling himself out for the decisions he was making prior to the Browns game. Finally we saw the results of not overthinking play calls and situational decision making.

Van Noy and Bolden just stepped up. Bolden I can see how at first he was used to special teams and was of the mindset perhaps to preserve his body for the sake of the team due to diminished depth from injuries at RB - but in doing so he played soft and went nowhere on the field. His confidence must have been shot earlier this season. It didn't help that Bolden was thrust into difficult situations by the OC, McDaniels, which routinely resulted in negative consequences for the offense's momentum and the team's production. It didn't help Bolden that Belichick kept Rhamondre Stevenson uninvolved or flat out inactive either for several weeks. I am glad we are seeing the version of Bolden that you get glimpses of in training camp as well as the the version of Van Noy you get glimpses of whenever he is motivated and focused. I was a huge fan of Van Noy's talent back to BYU and the draft when the Lions selected him in the second or third round. Bolden in person every summer has looked like one of the best players on the offense. So to see them producing like they are fully capable of lately does so much to resolve the frustration myself and many other fans have had with them at times.

Has anyone seen a lot of how the Falcons have been using Cordarelle Patterson? I keep reading / hearing how the Patriots need to use Jonnu Smith more like how he is used .. obviously Patterson isn't a TE but I'm curious as to how they are getting him all these touches. I don't remember him being a stellar route runner when he was here / having amazing hands.. so that could be a decent comp. 

I expected to see Smith a lot more in the backfield.. but I can understand how comfortable the team is with Bolden in that role. The RB's have been great so it's tough to take them off the field .. it seems like they don't have a lot of confidence in his hands since that Saints game. Especially with White out for the season it seems like a good time to put him in the backfield and get some of those 3rd down back catches. 

37 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Has anyone seen a lot of how the Falcons have been using Cordarelle Patterson? I keep reading / hearing how the Patriots need to use Jonnu Smith more like how he is used .. obviously Patterson isn't a TE but I'm curious as to how they are getting him all these touches. I don't remember him being a stellar route runner when he was here / having amazing hands.. so that could be a decent comp. 

I expected to see Smith a lot more in the backfield.. but I can understand how comfortable the team is with Bolden in that role. The RB's have been great so it's tough to take them off the field .. it seems like they don't have a lot of confidence in his hands since that Saints game. Especially with White out for the season it seems like a good time to put him in the backfield and get some of those 3rd down back catches. 

He gets all the looks because their offense blows, they are bottom 5 in rushing and their top 3 WRs (Zaccheaus, Gage, Sharpe) have a combined 533 yards (for reference Kendrick Bourne has 520 yards on 15 less catches). They can't beat man coverage so they use him everywhere, not sure that is an offense you want to emulate.

Here is how the Patriots players stand in PFF grades among their positions:

QB: Mac Jones 5th

RB: Damien Harris 4th, Rhamondre Stevenson 16th

WR: Kendrick Bourne 19th, Jakobi Meyers 43rd

TE: Hunter Henry 11th

OT: Michael Onwenu 6th, Isaiah Wynn 23rd

OG: Shaq Mason 4th, Ted Karras 16th

C David Andrews  8th

IDL: Christian Barmore 37th, Lawrence Guy 47th

Edge: Deatrich Wise 26th, Matthew Judon 34th

LB: Kyle van Noy 14th, Donta Hightower 24th, Ja'whaun Bentley 28th

CB: JC Jackson 14th

S: Adrian Phillips 7th, Kyle Dugger 29th, Devin McCourty 32nd

Barmore and Judon are surprisingly low. Other than that, not much disagreement.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Genuinely shocked the Pats didn't retain Patterson and use him the way the Falcons do. I'm shocked it took this long for him to be featured as a RB1 or RB2.

He killed the Packers in 2018 when he was Pats emergency RB. Was stupid nobody used him that way until now.

16 hours ago, SBLIII said:

Here is how the Patriots players stand in PFF grades among their positions:

QB: Mac Jones 5th

RB: Damien Harris 4th, Rhamondre Stevenson 16th

WR: Kendrick Bourne 19th, Jakobi Meyers 43rd

TE: Hunter Henry 11th

OT: Michael Onwenu 6th, Isaiah Wynn 23rd

OG: Shaq Mason 4th, Ted Karras 16th

C David Andrews  8th

IDL: Christian Barmore 37th, Lawrence Guy 47th

Edge: Deatrich Wise 26th, Matthew Judon 34th

LB: Kyle van Noy 14th, Donta Hightower 24th, Ja'whaun Bentley 28th

CB: JC Jackson 14th

S: Adrian Phillips 7th, Kyle Dugger 29th, Devin McCourty 32nd

Barmore and Judon are surprisingly low. Other than that, not much disagreement.

They've got Mac 5th for ALL QBs?

Season 6 Reaction GIF by The Office