Elden Ring

showtime

15 hours ago, Apparition said:

okay, I was wrong about the meteor strike. If you just run towards the rear of the arena (the gate part), it won't hit you.

It's sort of like the original meteor strike. If you just pick a direction and sprint nonstop, you are very unlikely to be hit.

Just killed the final boss no summons no shield. Brutal but satisfying. Took forever. Easily the hardest boss they ever made and I am going to assume they will make some nerfs on him, so glad I got it done before then.

On 7/13/2024 at 1:07 PM, lancerman said:

Just killed the final boss no summons no shield. Brutal but satisfying. Took forever. Easily the hardest boss they ever made and I am going to assume they will make some nerfs on him, so glad I got it done before then.

At a minimum, they need to tone down the particle effects (including the twink's hair... god help you if you find yourself behind him at any point during the second phase), but also they should adjust that cross-slash attack. I've never once been able to successfully dodge the first hit in that combo, and from everything else I've read, I'm far from alone in that.

On 7/14/2024 at 2:48 PM, Apparition said:

At a minimum, they need to tone down the particle effects (including the twink's hair... god help you if you find yourself behind him at any point during the second phase), but also they should adjust that cross-slash attack. I've never once been able to successfully dodge the first hit in that combo, and from everything else I've read, I'm far from alone in that.

The only way to consistently dodge that cross slash attack that I’ve seen (outside of blocking or deflecting it) is to be on his right side and dodge behind him so he can’t fully rotate to hit you with the second part. 

Which is probably why this fight is such a chore right now, because the only real consistently safe way to fight him is to have your forehead glued to his right buttcheek and continuously rotate clockwise around him to avoid said move, because being hit by it in phase 2 can easily be a wipe. 

Fix that attack and tone phase 2 down a bit and all of the sudden this boss would probably be really good.  Wouldn’t have to be trying to spoon him the whole fight and you could actually see what’s going on. 

I swear, I feel like I'm being psyopped whenever I see people talk about the Bloodfiend's Arm. Yes, it's got great damage output, but the range on it is ****. There are fist weapons in this game that have longer reach than its R2. It's only good for bosses that remain stationary for long periods. Otherwise, I just don't see the utility over something like the Claws of Night or any of the great katanas as far as DLC weapons go.

On 7/14/2024 at 3:48 PM, Apparition said:

The twinks hair basically forced me to get his move timing down by memory because I just couldn't see any tells. 

I agree on the cross attack. It's his only undodgeable attack. As @Jetzger said you can only dodge it if you happen to be lucky enough to be behind him to the right on the first slash. I've just been eating the first one so I can dodge the second two. 

On 7/16/2024 at 3:16 PM, Apparition said:

I swear, I feel like I'm being psyopped whenever I see people talk about the Bloodfiend's Arm. Yes, it's got great damage output, but the range on it is ****. There are fist weapons in this game that have longer reach than its R2. It's only good for bosses that remain stationary for long periods. Otherwise, I just don't see the utility over something like the Claws of Night or any of the great katanas as far as DLC weapons go.

It's because if you infuse it with blood it becomes arguably the only viable strength/bleed weapon in the game. It does something stupid like 190 bleed build up on a level 50 arcane character. So you are basicallu proc'ing bleed every 1 or 2 hits plus it being a strength weapon is just going to naturally give it more damage than most other bleed weapons. 

With the right build it can delete bosses. The R2 has some hyper armor. Add in Lord of Blood's Exultation since you will pretty much have bleed the whole fight

I got a late start on playing the DLC because of moving, but I'm loving it so far. I truly cannot believe how large it is. I'm about a dozen hours in and I think I'm still less than 50% through.

I'm glad I never started NG+ on my first character so I can finish out the whole story with him. I'm running a strength build (Giant Crusher is too fun not to use). So far, I'm finding the anvil hammer is pretty good as well. I seem to be rotating between those 2 and the Ruins Greatsword for when I need some range. Are there any other good strength weapons in this DLC?

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I got a late start on playing the DLC because of moving, but I'm loving it so far. I truly cannot believe how large it is. I'm about a dozen hours in and I think I'm still less than 50% through.

I'm glad I never started NG+ on my first character so I can finish out the whole story with him. I'm running a strength build (Giant Crusher is too fun not to use). So far, I'm finding the anvil hammer is pretty good as well. I seem to be rotating between those 2 and the Ruins Greatsword for when I need some range. Are there any other good strength weapons in this DLC?

People say great things about the Ancient Meteoric Ore Greatsword and Black Steel Greathammer, but I haven't used them myself.

2 hours ago, Apparition said:

People say great things about the Ancient Meteoric Ore Greatsword and Black Steel Greathammer, but I haven't used them myself.

I think the Meteoric Ore Greatsword has an arcane requirement I don't meet right now, but maybe it is worth re-specing to try out. I've got like 10 or 11 larval tears still. I saw a video of the ash of war on it, and it looks like exactly the perfect move for bigger weapon. Quick, powerful and with range.

I have the Black Steel Greathammer, but immediately boxed it. I figured it couldn't be better than the Giant Crusher. I'll get it up to +24 and see how it stacks up scaling wise for me. Maybe there is something to that?

I just love using the Giant Crusher. I put Lion's Claw on it and I go medium load, high poise, and use the talisman that boosts jumping attacks. It's so much fun and very powerful. Any human size enemy I face, boss or not, is relatively trivial. The reach combined with the speed of the swing is problematic against enemies like dragons though. I know you can stick by the tails/legs and eventually beat them, but it is a bit disorienting visually and you miss out on a lot of cool animations and attack tells. Plus, my favorite dark souls fight of all time is Midir, and I fought him so many times that I was able to no hit beat him by the end and his whole thing trick to him is "hit him in the face". I feel like I should be hitting these Elden Ring drakes/dragons in the head as well.

Can confirm Meteoric Ore Greatsword is great.  First part of the ash of war is a super fast gap closer, and the follow up explosion does tons of damage and knocks NPC-type and humanoid enemies over.  Has the thrust R2 and rolling attack (quite a few bosses are weak to pierce damage in the DLC), and the sword is massive so great range on everything. 

Man i finally beat Prime Radahn after 3 days of trying. One of the most satisfying and accomplishing things ive done in a video game. Such a fun and challenging fight to learn and get down. Im not one to gatekeep someone especially in a SP video game but i didnt use summons or a cheesy shield strat build and face tank everything. I really hope they dont nerf him but nerf the pillars of holy damage and make them more transparent or something because they get in the way of things and make it hard to see