Elden Ring

showtime

7 hours ago, minutemancl said:

What's broken about those now?

I guess if Fire Giant takes bleed damage to trigger his 2nd phase, he'll just straight up die right after the cutscene. Something similar with Godskin Duo, where they both die to a status effect at the same time, their health bar will drop to 0 before one of them respawns. 

Edited by Apparition

Took the Blasphemous Blade for a run at Malenia in co-op and the results were positive. But I can't say yet what it would look like without the split aggro. She does have much higher poise and somewhat quicker recovery speed in her second phase, so finding windows to hit her at range is more difficult. 

It took a while but I finally completed my solo kill goal of parrying Malenia to death.  She tried to screw me with the stupid clone attack right at the end of phase two but I squeezed it out.  And killing her with a riposte was oh so glorious.  Golden parry is god. 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2022 at 4:40 PM, Apparition said:

Took the Blasphemous Blade for a run at Malenia in co-op and the results were positive. But I can't say yet what it would look like without the split aggro. She does have much higher poise and somewhat quicker recovery speed in her second phase, so finding windows to hit her at range is more difficult. 

I solo'd her with the Blasphemous blade. 

The cluchness is that the special heals you when it hits her so you don't need to waste resources. 

Her first phase isn't that tough. You are basically baiting out her waterfowl and playing at a distance. The special is good enough that even at medium range she can't dodge it completely consistently. A very sound strategy in this phase is to mix Taker's Flame with Borealis Mist. She's weak as hell to Frost and it's one of the few things that knocks her out of hyper armor once she is inflicted with it. That includes the water fowl. She will outright get knocked out of the charge up position once she gets frost and she takes a ton of damage. The fire on Taker's Flame also reverses the frost status so you can go for it again. So you can basically use Borealis and hope it baits the waterfowl, knock her out of it and get the status effect, then take some free safe hits with Taker's flame. 

The bigger problem is phase two. She's far more aggressive and it's hard to launch the special without her zooming in on you. You really need to take advantage of the Scarlet Aonia attack. It's a guaranteed two free hits. But if you are lucky you can get a third off that will stagger and knock her over, which will get you a fourth freebie and maybe even 5th consecutive hit. From there you really have to pick your spots and only take shots at her when it's safe. Pray she does Scarlet Aonia soon again so you can capitalize on the free hits. Her aggression in this phase makes spacing very difficult. Her attacks are learnable but it's a bit of a culture shock from the more passive first phase where you can basically just run and keep distance from her. The best spots to get her are the Aonia that I mentioned or when she hits the ground with her sword stomp and does a light scarlet rot AOE because it gives you some time.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, Apparition said:

I guess if Fire Giant takes bleed damage to trigger his 2nd phase, he'll just straight up die right after the cutscene. Something similar with Godskin Duo, where they both die to a status effect at the same time, their health bar will drop to 0 before one of them respawns. 

I heard the glitch is that any boss with a second phase two will die if they are still dealing with a status effect when it triggers. Elden Beast is effected as well and I heard Maliketh.

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

I heard the glitch is that any boss with a second phase two will die if they are still dealing with a status effect when it triggers. Elden Beast is effected as well and I heard Maliketh.

Definitely not true, because I fought Maliketh and Godfrey post-patch and inflicted crotch rot on both in phase one, but it didn't affect their second phase. Elden Beast is immune to status effects. 

Those dual Gargoyles absolutely bodied me last night. 

My Int-Dex twink rolled them in the last playthrough; my pure Faith build is slapping them with a wet noodle (Cross-Naginata +20 Fire Art).

That 40% Fire 30% Slash/Pierce is a killer for anything other than a Mage or Bonk build.

Went back to do a Dark Souls 3 playthrough, and it really is hilarious how hollow the complaints about ER's balance issues ring when you compare it to previous entries in the meta-series. There has been an insane number of quality-of-life improvements in ER. 

Completed my 2nd playthrough, and after getting to experience everyone twice, gotta say Mohg is definitely the best boss for me.  Love that fight.

After doing it over again, the endgame doesn't seem as overtuned as I originally thought in my first playthrough.  The only place where the general enemies really feel unnecessarily tanky and damaging is Haligtree (and a couple enemies in Farum Azula), and it's made up by the excellent level design somewhat.  Only place that feels largely unnecessary is consecrated snowfields, if Ordina was just on an overlook in the mountaintops after you use the secret medallion and just cut snowfields out of the picture, the endgame would be pretty darn close to perfect imo.  

Started New Game run 3; named PoiseIsJusta#. Focusing entirely on co-op boss help.

Meteorite Ore Blade (For Charged R2 Glory)

Banished Knight Halberd with Ice Spear and Cold Infusion (The secretly busted AoW)

Axe Talisman

Stonebarb (+Poise damage) + Spike (+Charged attacks) Physick

On 5/7/2022 at 1:01 AM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Been fighting Malenia for the better part of 2 weeks. Just give it a handful of goes every couple nights then leave it be. Then today I'm fighting her and she starts her second phase with zero health and scarlet rots herself to death. I feel cheated. 

That's the worst. It's the main reason I want a boss rush mode added to these From games. For me, the Ancestor Spirit fell through the floor and killed himself a minute into my fight with him. I didn't feel too cheated, since he was just a slightly more powerful version of the same guy I fought earlier, but it still sucked. I'd like to fight him again.

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

That's the worst. It's the main reason I want a boss rush mode added to these From games. For me, the Ancestor Spirit fell through the floor and killed himself a minute into my fight with him. I didn't feel too cheated, since he was just a slightly more powerful version of the same guy I fought earlier, but it still sucked. I'd like to fight him again.

It's odd that there isn't a boss mode. I think it would be incredible to bring back a lot of the old FromSoft bosses as well. Have different modes where you could see how many bosses you can take down without resting at a grace point or forced to fight with a certain spec. How great would it be to takedown the flame lurker again? I'd also have words for the Cleric Beast.