Elden Ring

showtime

5 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I've already listed this game on Kijiji. It's ***. My first souls game and I don't understand the appeal, the controls are way too damn clunky for a game relying on finessing or getting one shotted. 

You’ll forever be maidenless with that attitude. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I've already listed this game on Kijiji. It's ***. My first souls game and I don't understand the appeal, the controls are way too damn clunky for a game relying on finessing or getting one shotted. 

It's definitely not for everyone, but I'd highly recommend trying to give it another shot. Watch someone on youtube who is good at the game play it and take some mental notes. This is not like other games that look similar, like DMC or something. You have to be methodical and precise and calculating with your actions in combat.

16 hours ago, JBURGE said:

Sounds like your spending too much time trying to attack. The best advice I have for people new in souls is:

1. Invest in your health. Almost every single new player I have ever played with invests the majority of their points into damage stats or requirement stats to allow them to use more weapons and then they wonder why they are getting one or two shot. 

2. Pick a build. Kind of going back to old RPGs you cannot just use anything and everything you pick up. I see way too many new players using a strength, faith, magic, endurance, hybrid and there is just not enough stats in the game till NG+. Pick a stat or two like Faith/STR, Dex/INT, quality, ect and pump them along with your health. You will run across weapons naturally that fill in most build types in the game. 

3. Dodging comes first and attacking come second. Too many people prioritize damage over staying alive. Learn to dodge and wait for windows to open to get an attack or two in. Very rarely will bosses give you more then an a window to land 2 or 3 attacks. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Apparition said:

what kind of games do you generally like?

I play a little bit fo everything. I would say the closest game I have enjoyed to this is Jedi Fallen Order. I play mostly blockbusters tho, like the Witcher, Red Dead, cod, Madden, Fallout, some AC, Nintendo games, It Takes Two, etc.

I have always steered clear of Souls cause overly difficult games just piss me off, but with the reviews for Elden Ring and watching people play it I thought this might be the one 😂

20 hours ago, JBURGE said:

That was me after the first weekend I had it.  Then I watched gameplay walkthroughs on YouTube and finally understood what I was doing wrong.  Enjoying the game much more now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I play a little bit fo everything. I would say the closest game I have enjoyed to this is Jedi Fallen Order. I play mostly blockbusters tho, like the Witcher, Red Dead, cod, Madden, Fallout, some AC, Nintendo games, It Takes Two, etc.

I have always steered clear of Souls cause overly difficult games just piss me off, but with the reviews for Elden Ring and watching people play it I thought this might be the one 😂

Yeah, that explains a lot. Other modern AAA titles don't really condition you to enjoy games like this. It's much more rooted in the design philosophies of PS1 era and earlier. 

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

Godskin duo... was kinda of a letdown. Wasnt prepared, only had half my flasks, and took them down pretty quick. 

I am overleveled, and a couple Adula's on fat boy with the Magic+ tear chunked like half the bar in the first 30 seconds of the fight. 

Went outside and got stunlocked; combo killed by a regular beastman. Took me down a peg lol.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Godskin duo... was kinda of a letdown. Wasnt prepared, only had half my flasks, and took them down pretty quick. 

I am overleveled, and a couple Adula's on fat boy with the Magic+ tear chunked like half the bar in the first 30 seconds of the fight. 

Went outside and got stunlocked; combo killed by a regular beastman. Took me down a peg lol.

Godskin Duo's difficulty is overrated in general. People will complain about it being badly designed, which, fair enough. But once you figure out how to separate them and use the columns to shield you while you heal, you realize they're nowhere close to the hardest boss in the game. 

Okay Mohg Lord of Blood is now in the discussion for my favorite boss fight in the game. I finally got around to solo'ing it without spirit summons or range magic. I love bosses that make you stay engaged for the delayed move set and make stage placement critical. 

There's a few bosses in these games where I get my **** kicked in and am pumped to make another go at the fight. Mohg got that going with me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

Okay Mohg Lord of Blood is now in the discussion for my favorite boss fight in the game. I finally got around to solo'ing it without spirit summons or range magic. I love bosses that make you stay engaged for the delayed move set and make stage placement critical. 

There's a few bosses in these games where I get my **** kicked in and am pumped to make another go at the fight. Mohg got that going with me. 

The Blood Nonce is a great boss because there are so many different ways to engage him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Apparition said:

Godskin Duo's difficulty is overrated in general. People will complain about it being badly designed, which, fair enough. But once you figure out how to separate them and use the columns to shield you while you heal, you realize they're nowhere close to the hardest boss in the game. 

Yeah, they aren't that hard. It's more just that they aren't very complimentary of each other as a duo boss and you fight them after you likely fought them multiple times seperately already so it's a bit frustrating and not as exciting at that point in the game. 

On 4/6/2022 at 8:35 PM, lancerman said:

Yeah, they aren't that hard. It's more just that they aren't very complimentary of each other as a duo boss and you fight them after you likely fought them multiple times seperately already so it's a bit frustrating and not as exciting at that point in the game. 

Exactly an uninspired fight for a pretty cool area... The From Soft classic gank fights in this game are pretty terrible in general. The longer I play the more and more I notice just how uninspired the post-capital content is to the rest of the game.