Elden Ring

showtime

By the way, if you want to do comparisons, Farum Azula isn't nearly as tough for an endgame area as besieged Ashina or Lothric Castle/Grand Archives were. I'd say it's about on par with Nightmare of Mensis. Maybe a little easier, because you're not trying to avoid taking frenzy damage for the first portion, and there's no massive spider that you have to cheese through a doorway.

Come to think of it, Leyndell might be tougher, because of all the knights and perfumers.

Edited by Apparition

9 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Have gotten to the Mountains and good lord I hate it. Back to getting slapped around by everything. Stuck at Rykar’s second version, fire giant, Niall, and the two carrion knights in a cave. 

Spoiler

Did you grab/use the spear available at the start of Rykars boss room? Cuz the ash on it trivializes the fight if you have a summon that can aggro. 

Edited by animaltested

4 hours ago, JBURGE said:

I just got this game yesterday,. played about 30 minutes. I started as Samurai and plan to dual wield build, any tips for early game? The dudes on horses are annoying

First FromSoft game btw

IF you wanna go Samurai and Uchi; practice the Unsheath technique (the ash on the Uchi). Once you get it down; it can carry you especially against horsed enemies and what not. 

Also, since it is your first FromSoft game, lean on Ashes for aggro; and use a shield until you get comfortable with dodge rolling and learning patterns. 

4 hours ago, Apparition said:

Yeah, I can see how that tree sentinel would be tougher with a build like that. His attack recovery basically requires quick-hitting weapons. How many points do you have in arcane? If you have at least 12, you can get the Rotten Breath incantation from the Cathedral of Dragon Communion and inflict him with scarlet rot, which makes that fight a lot easier. 

I did, but I hated the incredibly high casting time with no hyper armor that came with the dragon incantations, so I respec'd and took off all my arcane and unequipped all of those dragon abilities. 

Fun combo here: +25 Heavy Great Stars and the Prelate's Charge ability is so, so good. Not only is the weapon itself good, with its bleed chance, fast animation time, good damage, and restoration of health on hit, but that ash of war turns it into a full heal if you go up against a group of enemies.

22 minutes ago, animaltested said:

IF you wanna go Samurai and Uchi; practice the Unsheath technique (the ash on the Uchi). Once you get it down; it can carry you especially against horsed enemies and what not. 

Also, since it is your first FromSoft game, lean on Ashes for aggro; and use a shield until you get comfortable with dodge rolling and learning patterns. 

Good to know thank you. I wasn't sure how to use it so I looked it up

6 hours ago, Apparition said:

By the way, if you want to do comparisons, Farum Azula isn't nearly as tough for an endgame area as besieged Ashina or Lothric Castle/Grand Archives were. I'd say it's about on par with Nightmare of Mensis. Maybe a little easier, because you're not trying to avoid taking frenzy damage for the first portion, and there's no massive spider that you have to cheese through a doorway.

Come to think of it, Leyndell might be tougher, because of all the knights and perfumers.

Once you know the areas, they are all pretty easy because you can just run past most enemies you don't want to fightin subsequent playthroughs. I just did NG+2 on my second character today and in about 3 hours I went through Margit, Godrick, Red Wolf, Rennalla, took a shortcut to Altus via the Iron Maiden in Raya Lucaria, then did Godfrey, Morgott and got to Fire Giant before I had to redo any boss battles and faced much resistance. 

I still think Demon Souls has the highest endgame spike with the 4-3 and 4-4 of the Boletarian Castle being particularly brutal. You are probably right on Leyndell overall being harder. But again, there's a quick way to skip most of it. From the first bonfire with all the white flute playing guys, you can skip entering the rooms and jump down the side rail, and then immediately jump down tor roof tops, run across the roof tops to the long pathway with the Erdtree Avatar, then go to the right and and hug the side so you can get to the big dragon ring, climb up, get in the hole in the wall with the ladder, run straight across to the branch (the enemies and the gargoyle don't aggro unless you attack) and then run up the tree until Godfrey. You can pretty quickly fly through that entire area once you know where you are going. Same with Stormviel, if you can roll through the arrows at the maingate, you can hightail it right to Godrick without going through 80% of the castle. 

Though I do agree, in a NG playthrough on a new character, Leyndell is probably tougher overall because it's liable to be a huge jump once you get there and the enemies are rougher than most of what you faced before. Farum Azula makes it easier to isolate and avoid enemies

4 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I did, but I hated the incredibly high casting time with no hyper armor that came with the dragon incantations, so I respec'd and took off all my arcane and unequipped all of those dragon abilities. 

Fun combo here: +25 Heavy Great Stars and the Prelate's Charge ability is so, so good. Not only is the weapon itself good, with its bleed chance, fast animation time, good damage, and restoration of health on hit, but that ash of war turns it into a full heal if you go up against a group of enemies.

When I really feel like I need to give someone crotch rot, I either use wondrous physick bubble tear, or tank the hits and heal immediately afterwards. 

Malenia makes me want to quit. 170SL 60 Vig Royal Knight Armor Dex 45/INT 60 with +10 Tiche still getting two shot. Doesnt matter if I try Moonblade or powerstance Ice-Bleed katanas; her recovery is seemingly outpacing my damage, even when Im aggressive.

I dont have the patience to just sit a perfect a perfect run. It not fun to me period. Yes I know Waterfowl can be dodged, but I kept getting f'd over by the input delay when turning around and trying to sprint. 

At least with Magrit here was a light at the end of the tunnel. Having a good run ended by one move because of a single mistake is just not fun for me.

Closest I got was her 2nd phase down to like 15% health; game crashed.

Edited by animaltested

28 minutes ago, animaltested said:

I’m petty and stubborn, would rather uninstall than use RoB. 

I mean, you could have the same basic outcome with +25 Nagakiba, double slash and frozen armament. RoB has slightly more range, but that combination more or less matches the damage output 

7 hours ago, animaltested said:

Malenia makes me want to quit. 170SL 60 Vig Royal Knight Armor Dex 45/INT 60 with +10 Tiche still getting two shot. Doesnt matter if I try Moonblade or powerstance Ice-Bleed katanas; her recovery is seemingly outpacing my damage, even when Im aggressive.

I dont have the patience to just sit a perfect a perfect run. It not fun to me period. Yes I know Waterfowl can be dodged, but I kept getting f'd over by the input delay when turning around and trying to sprint. 

At least with Magrit here was a light at the end of the tunnel. Having a good run ended by one move because of a single mistake is just not fun for me.

Closest I got was her 2nd phase down to like 15% health; game crashed.

With waterfowl when she starts the move you can also use a freeze pot to knock her out of it so you don't even have to deal with it at all. Its a frustrating and fairly tough fight but just stick with it. 

You can always summon some helpers for jolly cooperation. No shame in that. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Apparition said:

I mean, you could have the same basic outcome with +25 Nagakiba, double slash and frozen armament. RoB has slightly more range, but that combination more or less matches the damage output 

Decided to not be stubborn and roll with your advice

Rerolled to a 55/50 Dex Int Split; Used Cold Naga w Double Slash & Cold Uchi ; popped a Thorny+Stonebard flask... and absolutely shredded her 2nd phase on my second run of the day. 

lol

• Like 2

I've already listed this game on Kijiji. It's ***. My first souls game and I don't understand the appeal, the controls are way too damn clunky for a game relying on finessing or getting one shotted. 

Edited by JBURGE